Over Revs - yet again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:23 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ The facts point to likely abuse.
My oerceprion is that it could have been overreed on a cold engine.
I agree, it's not a rev-limiter bounce. I just don't think it hurts anything, and I doubt these would cause any warranty denials if anything went wrong.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:24 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,739 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Perception always trumps reality.
Emotions overrule facts.

The report is fine if you are ok with reality and facts.

The report is not fine if you spend too much time on RL
FIFY
Old 11-27-2018, 10:37 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
FIFY
Definitely true!! Lol!
Old 11-27-2018, 10:54 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

Perception always trumps reality.
Emotions overrule facts.

The report is fine if you are ok with reality and facts.

The report is not fine if you are run by perception and emotions
I love facts but I don't see any here. Will Porsche CPO a car with Range 3? There must be a point where they won't any longer. That would be a good fact.

Has anyone seen the over rev ranges for the 991.2 GT3 engine?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:04 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I once bought a used 2006 Cayman S that was CPO’d.
it had range 5 over revs (that I didn’t know about) prior to me purchasing it. I only found out when the engine blew up on me. Range 5s we’re there before I bought it so Porsche covered the new engine under warranty.

I assume that Porsche will CPO range 1-3 over revs.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:16 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Loess
I love facts but I don't see any here. Will Porsche CPO a car with Range 3? There must be a point where they won't any longer. That would be a good fact.

Has anyone seen the over rev ranges for the 991.2 GT3 engine?
We can go over it again.

A range 3 is fine. It can still be CPO'd. Range 4-6 is when it becomes a problem and warranty is void. That doesn't matter, though, because people still get that 'not so fresh feeling' about even range 1 reports and start spewing nonsense. Actually, a range 6 over rev can still potentially be CPO'd IF enough engine running hours have passed with no problems (I think 100 hours). I personally know 4 people with range 6 over revs and their cars all went on with no issues at the track. That's not to say that a range 4-6 is to be ignored, though.

It's bewildering to see the paranoia and hysteria when people try to make 'informed' decisions on cars. In the end, it's whatever it takes to make that person feel 'good'. Regardless if the decision makes any sense in reality.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:38 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

We can go over it again.

A range 3 is fine. It can still be CPO'd. Range 4-6 is when it becomes a problem and warranty is void. That doesn't matter, though, because people still get that 'not so fresh feeling' about even range 1 reports and start spewing nonsense. Actually, a range 6 over rev can still potentially be CPO'd IF enough engine running hours have passed with no problems (I think 100 hours). I personally know 4 people with range 6 over revs and their cars all went on with no issues at the track. That's not to say that a range 4-6 is to be ignored, though.

It's bewildering to see the paranoia and hysteria when people try to make 'informed' decisions on cars. In the end, it's whatever it takes to make that person feel 'good'. Regardless if the decision makes any sense in reality.

My 2010 GT3 that I tracked competitively had several stage 5 overrevs and ran strong until I sold it. (Failed early dynamic motor mounts caused misshifts.) Eventually it was CPO’d to another owner after the required number of hours that Porsche decides is OK ( agree I think its 100 hours). A stage 3 overrev probably happened with an early downshift on the track- easy to do. A misshift would be much higher overrev. Much to do about nothing.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:41 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

You guys are missing the point.

Range 1-3 over revs are fine. I probably have a lot of those in my old 996 track car with 70,000 miles, so I wouldn't sweat it. I wouldn't sweat it in a car several years old with several thousands of miles. But the car in question is a 2018 with 2,500 miles. Is the engine still good? Most likely it is. Has the whole car been abused in those 2,500 miles, possibly within the break-in period, and that's the reason for over rev's? Maybe it was, maybe it was not. And that's the point: you can't know the answer for certain, and there are now seeds of doubt. Are there 2018 GT3s out there that don't have these over revs? Quite likely. Would I walk away from this 2018 GT3 and search for one without over-revs at 2,500 miles? I would, and I would pay more for that car. Buying a second hand car is always a risk. Buying a second hand relatively new car with over revs, even if only 1-3 range...well, IMO, the risk is increased.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:57 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Palting
You guys are missing the point.

Range 1-3 over revs are fine. I probably have a lot of those in my old 996 track car with 70,000 miles, so I wouldn't sweat it. I wouldn't sweat it in a car several years old with several thousands of miles. But the car in question is a 2018 with 2,500 miles. Is the engine still good? Most likely it is. Has the whole car been abused in those 2,500 miles, possibly within the break-in period, and that's the reason for over rev's? Maybe it was, maybe it was not. And that's the point: you can't know the answer for certain, and there are now seeds of doubt. Are there 2018 GT3s out there that don't have these over revs? Quite likely. Would I walk away from this 2018 GT3 and search for one without over-revs at 2,500 miles? I would, and I would pay more for that car. Buying a second hand car is always a risk. Buying a second hand relatively new car with over revs, even if only 1-3 range...well, IMO, the risk is increased.
The risk of what, exactly, is increased? I don't see it.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:09 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

The risk of what, exactly, is increased? I don't see it.
Risk that the car was abused, We all know that infamous story of the wrecked RS from "test driving" by the tuner shop. That is one end of the extreme, and probably rare. Maybe it was just a Ferris Bueller event, and the car is perfectly fine. Or anywhere in between. Who knows? The presence of the over revs in this young car raises that question, and that risk
Old 11-28-2018, 02:30 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I don't want to drag this on, but, sorry, I still don't see it. What constitutes abuse? Driving in a matter that someone perceives as bad for the car? Or driving in a matter that actually damages the car? They are very different. Bouncing of the rev limiter once is not abusive. It sure is perceived as abusive by people, but it isn't. The break in period is 1500km or 932miles. The car is beyond that. Even then, there are plenty of people who don't follow break in, including Porsche at their driving facilities, and the cars are no different than people who never hit redline their entire time with the car.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:40 PM
StealthGT3
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

In order to CPO a 911 manual with over revs, car must have a minimum of 200 hours since last incident.
engine must also pass a compression and leak down test.
No matter what range your over rev takes place 1 to 6 ( all 3 are required for CPO to take place).
I know this, because my 2012 GTS had an over rev in range 5, it was one of the first 911’s to get CPO’d in Canada with no issues and some confidence to the guy who ended up buying the car.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:45 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthGT3
In order to CPO a 911 manual with over revs, car must have a minimum of 200 hours since last incident.
engine must also pass a compression and leak down test.
No matter what range your over rev takes place 1 to 6 ( all 3 are required for CPO to take place).

I know this, because my 2012 GTS had an over rev in range 5, it was one of the first 911’s to get CPO’d in Canada with no issues and some confidence to the guy who ended up buying the car.
Unless this is a "Canada thing", this is NOT true.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:28 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Can someone explain what all this actually is in the first place? Over-rev? Like exceeding redline? Doesn't the engine have a rev limiter? Or is this about downshifting into too low of a gear and forcing the engine over 9K?

What do the different ranges mean?

I've bounced off the rev limiter a handful of times. Like on the long straight on a track and trying to squeeze every ounce of acceleration before crossing finish line instead of short shifting to the next gear. Is that really a big deal, jesus...
Old 12-05-2018, 01:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Can someone explain what all this actually is in the first place? Over-rev? Like exceeding redline? Doesn't the engine have a rev limiter? Or is this about downshifting into too low of a gear and forcing the engine over 9K?

What do the different ranges mean?

I've bounced off the rev limiter a handful of times. Like on the long straight on a track and trying to squeeze every ounce of acceleration before crossing finish line instead of short shifting to the next gear. Is that really a big deal, jesus...
Yes, it's mostly about shifting into too low a gear for the speed of the car (only way to record a serious over-rev). While it may be possible to record a few Range 1 over-revs by bouncing into the limiter (I'm not sure if it still is in the 991 or not), these are not important nor dangerous to the motor. I don't remember the threshold RPM that defines each of the Ranges, but hitting the limiter shouldn't push you beyond Range 1 (I think over 9k but below 9k2). The accepted wisdom is that Range 1 and 2 are inconsequential, but 3-6 can be more problematic and potentially voids your engine warranty for a fault that can be traced to over-revving.

Quick Reply: Over Revs - yet again!