Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off-topic: Enjoy your manual control GT3's! The car world is changing fast

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:38 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Off-topic: Enjoy your manual control GT3's! The car world is changing fast

GM's announcement yesterday of the discontinuation of many of their car models, the layoff of a lot of employees, and the eventual shutdown of many of their plants indicates the pending seismic shift of the car landscape. GM is actually making good money and while some of their models (many manufacturers are dealing with this) are having sales slowdowns, the real reason as indicated by Mary Barra is the car world is changing rapidly.

I read an article recently that when fully autonomous drone cars come online (and it's going to happen faster than most of us think), people will no longer buy cars. They will buy subscription services for themselves and/or their families. They will open their smartphone and tell the car app they need to be at work at 7am. They will get an immediate response to be outside at 6:27am or whatever and they will walk out to an open sliding door, step in, and the car will silently zip away under electric power and navigate itself to the work destination.

At the same time, your wife and children are home. Your wife gets an alert to confirm both children are off to school (there will be legal issues on age, liability, etc. that will need to be resolved, but security measures can be put in place) at the same daily time of 8:30am. Your wife indicates yes and the app says to have children outside at 8:16am. Wife then decides she wants to go to Costco and opens the app again and selects it as one of her preset favorite destinations and scrolls to indicates a desired time of arrival of 9am. Due to her subscription level not being higher and the high demand during that time, the app replies back and says there is a 9:15 arrival slot available and she checks okay.

A richer family down the street has bought their own drone car. It's a Porsche-made brand and has a lot of fancy interior upgrades like plush carpet, high end nappa leather and even a setting to bypass speed limits and acceleration levels in limited situations. It's called "thrill mode." The Porsche drone can do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds in the right conditions when this mode is selected. Anyway, this drone can be pre-scheduled to take Dad to work, kids to school, and then Mom to her part-time attorney job and then to the spa in the afternoon, all with the same car. No more two or 3 car families needed. In the event of an overlap, Porsche has an additional option of flex scheduling where a company-owned drone Porsche will come by and pick up someone at the family residence when the family owned drone is otherwise unavailable. This family is wealthy and really doesn't like riding in a shared drone car. Plus, their Porsche drone is red so it stands out and makes them look cool to the neighbors. haha.

So, why is all this going to happen and fast? This article I read (wish I could remember where) said profits per vehicle is going to go up dramatically for the automaker when they own their own fleet and do subscription services since one car can service a lot of subscriptions. More and more younger kids don't want to mess with owning and maintaining a car anyway, especially those that live in dense urban areas where parking is very expensive. So, to keep the profit train churning, all automakers are working very heavily towards this new model for vehicle sales. I also read that Honda and GM are working together on this initiative which I found interesting. Here is a link to that big partnership with GM Cruise LLC:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ar/1507848002/

Anyway, where does that leave us driving enthusiasts? It will become a hobby of sorts where we were park our old, non-autonomous vehicles at driving tracks/parks/schools where we can swing by on the weekend or after work/school to go flog our cars with steering wheels and brake and throttle pedals around a track. It will become something akin to what horse riding is today. A very fun hobby for those that love riding horses, except we will be in control of our loud, internal combustion engine cars with manual controls. The younger generations will roll their eyes at us, but once they taste the freedom of controlling a powerful machine with their hands and feet, many of them will appreciate the art form.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:12 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

how awful , so utilitarianly pigeon hole living , guess that will allow folks more time to live in the virtual world on their devises as they are transported around as opposed driving in control of their movement requiring living in the reality of that task .
Old 11-27-2018, 12:17 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Not necessarily that awful if I can save transpo costs on my DD tasks, recoup some of the wasted travel time doing productive work, and have more disposable income to use for my evening/weekend track car.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:29 PM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

or those of us who live in congested areas the traffic is so bad that for simple daily stuff like going to 5 guys to grab some lunch is a hassle.
My sports cars are for mountain and back country drives with friends and I don't see that changing anytime in the next couple decades.
This is still America and good luck passing legislation mandating that no person can drive his/her car/truck/motorcycle where and when then want.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:36 PM
cacpa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
This article I read (wish I could remember where) .
I believe these "articles" you are quoting can be found in Cyberdyne Weekly, although I did enjoy your story.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,719 Likes on 2,690 Posts

Autonomous vehicles have strong implications for city driving (some of it good). This is one more reason to buy a track car. Just like taking your thoroughbred horse to the track 100 years after horse and buggies were made obsolete for commuting...
Old 11-27-2018, 01:16 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Originally Posted by ajag
Not necessarily that awful if I can save transpo costs on my DD tasks, recoup some of the wasted travel time doing productive work, and have more disposable income to use for my evening/weekend track car.
yup need to learn/discipline productive habits too , RS is RS as they say

Last edited by R.Deacon; 11-27-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:20 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Originally Posted by italiafan
or those of us who live in congested areas the traffic is so bad that for simple daily stuff like going to 5 guys to grab some lunch is a hassle.
My sports cars are for mountain and back country drives with friends and I don't see that changing anytime in the next couple decades.
This is still America and good luck passing legislation mandating that no person can drive his/her car/truck/motorcycle where and when then want.
true makes sense for city mobility driverless uber deal
Old 11-27-2018, 01:20 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm just glad I have my GT3 6MT locked in...if it's my last sports car, that's fine with me.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:31 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

This may be closer than we think but it will be very limited to/by, congested areas, weather(snow/ice) and certain type of professions using this. I know that in the construction industry this will never be a realization.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:05 PM
NJRickD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, nope
Old 11-27-2018, 02:45 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Autonomous vehicles have strong implications for city driving (some of it good). This is one more reason to buy a track car. Just like taking your thoroughbred horse to the track 100 years after horse and buggies were made obsolete for commuting...
Great analogy!
Old 11-27-2018, 03:08 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 702 Posts

We'll get a "Cruising the USA" type of manual - where nothing really happens when you change gears and there's no pedal
Old 11-27-2018, 03:21 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts

Curious if they will back down on the emissions if this is the case? IE: 99% of the autonomous cars will be electric so well be able to still have our MY2032 naturally aspirated gas burning track specific cars.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:25 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

To work efficiently driverless cars will need to have their own roads. I can't see how driverless cars will be able to operate with driver cars safely. Maybe you outlaw cars in NY city but what about rural areas. We are a long way off from utopia.

Quick Reply: Off-topic: Enjoy your manual control GT3's! The car world is changing fast