Right insurance for a GT car

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:03 PM
Sanjaghak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Right insurance for a GT car

Hi,

After waiting for almost 3 years (since I put down my deposit) my ordered to spec GT3 Touring finally arrived and I am going to pick it up very soon.
I almost figured out everything (finance, PPF, cover and ...) with exception of one thing: The Right Insurance

In the past I used Mercury for my other cars and I am happy with them, but non of my former cars were a $200k limited (in the sense that if something happens too it I cannot get another one or find another one like it) production car and of the dealer lot worths more than its MSRP.

So my question is that is there any type of insurance out there that you Porsche GT owners suggest for these type of cars. A type of insurance that covers the real value of the car and also cover not just the repairs but also the depreciation caused by the accident. I like to understand what options I have and the trade offs between them. Your help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Old 11-26-2018, 11:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

You want a stated value policy. I use Hagerty.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:07 PM
Sanjaghak
Advanced

Originally Posted by GrantG
You want a stated value policy. I use Hagerty.
Thanks, can you add a bit more detail about how this works? Also how it compares to other type of insurances cost wise.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sanjaghak
Thanks, can you add a bit more detail about how this works? Also how it compares to other type of insurances cost wise.
Stated value means if you have a total loss, you receive a specific amount (less deductible) that you determine upon buying the policy, rather than fair market value or depreciated value, etc. Usually costs more, but worth it for a car like this.

Hagerty specializes in valuable collectible cars and they offer many details that a regular policy overlooks.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:02 AM
Sanjaghak
Advanced

Originally Posted by GrantG

Stated value means if you have a total loss, you receive a specific amount (less deductible) that you determine upon buying the policy, rather than fair market value or depreciated value, etc. Usually costs more, but worth it for a car like this.

Hagerty specializes in valuable collectible cars and they offer many details that a regular policy overlooks.
Thanks,
I started the quoting process with them and they are asking about market value of my car. What is the best way to determine this? My car is a 2018 GT3 Touring with PTS and CXX options with MSRP of $198k.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:29 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks,
I started the quoting process with them and they are asking about market value of my car. What is the best way to determine this? My car is a 2018 GT3 Touring with PTS and CXX options with MSRP of $198k.
If you think it’s worth more than sticker, you can establish that by showing dealer asking premiums, eBay, Autotrader, etc.

They want some evidence, but nothing hard to provide...
Old 11-27-2018, 10:18 AM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 49 Posts

I use Chubb for my GT3 & 2RS, in addition to 3 other cars. They will do stated value. I also have my homeowners and my umbrella with them. I found their rates to be more reasonable than Hagerty, but that may be due to the multiple policies I have with them. I would check them out as well.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 AM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

May want to do a quick search, this has been discussed in details in the past. I found a good post by one of the RL members that went into great details about "value" of the car

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-question.html
Old 11-27-2018, 10:25 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Thanks,
The car in it's current spec is likely "irreplaceable".....I would state the value at $220K....easy to show what dealers are asking and any of the major collector car companies shouldn't have an issue with it.....I use Grundy
Old 11-27-2018, 10:25 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are some companies that do "stated value" but there is also something called "agreed value".

I would NOT do a stated value policy - only agreed value.

Stated value means you pay the premium based on the value that you tell them - if you have a total loss, they can say your stated value was incorrect and it can turn into a fiasco. So, you potentially just paid a higher premium for coverage that the insurance company can argue is higher than the worth of the car.

An agreed value policy involves having the insurance company agree - in advance - that the car will be insured for X amount (some require an appraisal, some inspect the car, some just look at pictures and agree) - if you have a total loss, you get X, not an argument.

Just make sure you know the difference.

stated value vs agreed value

Last edited by jasonfreed; 11-27-2018 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added link
Old 11-27-2018, 10:26 AM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I use Mercury and have a pretty good rate; however, my driving record is pretty clean, I use the same insurance for my homes, and I don't normally commute with the car so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:29 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Lot of variables to think about. Many carriers want your home owners/renters package too. Some may even want you to have a DD other than the GT3. Get another agency if your current agency is struggling with it. My former agent was going to set the McLaren up for me in an assigned risk pool. Just under $7000.00 for the 570S. WTF!!! Then valued my 07 GT3 RS at $49k! Former agent.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
There are some companies that do "stated value" but there is also something called "agreed value".

I would NOT do a stated value policy - only agreed value.

Stated value means you pay the premium based on the value that you tell them - if you have a total loss, they can say your stated value was incorrect and it can turn into a fiasco. So, you potentially just paid a higher premium for coverage that the insurance company can argue is higher than the worth of the car.

An agreed value policy involves having the insurance company agree - in advance - that the car will be insured for X amount (some require an appraisal, some inspect the car, some just look at pictures and agree) - if you have a total loss, you get X, not an argument.

Just make sure you know the difference.

stated value vs agreed value
Thanks, Jason. I had my terminology confused - I have agreed value through Hagerty.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:20 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

And make sure there aren't other requirements that won't work for you. I.e. mileage limitations, etc.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:56 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

call Grundy ..

Quick Reply: Right insurance for a GT car