Sponsored by:

Right insurance for a GT car

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:05 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Thanks, Jason. I had my terminology confused - I have agreed value through Hagerty.
Good! Just making sure people knew there is a HUGE difference between the two.

Some are tossing around, stated value and think they are protected.

Only agreed value really protects you as you know.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:36 AM
Sanjaghak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the replays.
I asked my insurance broker to start the process and get me the quotes.
The outcome was interesting. The usual providers (Mercury, Progressive, Nationwide, ...) are not doing agreed value and their rate for their formal coverage was too high too. the lowest wanted more than 4K just the GT3 (I am already paying them $1900 for the two other cars)

So then my broker went to Hagerty as it was only specialized provider that my broker works with. Their quote was much better at around $3400 for agreed value of $225K. BUT there is one deal breaker issue. I live in an apartment complex with underground gated parking (also has many security camera throughout the parking including one directly looking at my spot), however, Hagerty told my broker that they only insure the car if it get kept in a private and secure garage or car storage.

Does this make any sense? I know a lot of people that are living in metropolitans in complexes and high-rises and own exotic collectible cars that they keep in their shared gated parking levels (some of them even need the valet parking to park their car in the parking facility under the building). It means none of them can insure their cars properly?

Anybody here faced the same issue?
Old 11-30-2018, 02:07 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

Get more quotes. I pay 7500 a year for 5 cars, Mclaren 720, Ferrari 488, Tesla, Range Rover and a glk Mercedes Fornthe kids. I have two teenage drivers and the exotics mentioned above and total car premiums are 750” a year.

3500 for one car is ridiculous.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:08 AM
Sanjaghak
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Get more quotes. I pay 7500 a year for 5 cars, Mclaren 720, Ferrari 488, Tesla, Range Rover and a glk Mercedes Fornthe kids. I have two teenage drivers and the exotics mentioned above and total car premiums are 750” a year.

3500 for one car is ridiculous.
Can I ask who is your provider? Also what type of coverage you are getting on the 720S and 488?
Old 11-30-2018, 08:56 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Although there are a lot of variables that go into a quote $3500 for agreed value of one car at $225K seems high....I pay $4500 a year for Grundy, 8000 miles allowed between the 2, $530K agreed value.....
Old 11-30-2018, 11:36 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sanjaghak
Can I ask who is your provider? Also what type of coverage you are getting on the 720S and 488?

I have a private mortgage broker and they do my home, cars, etc. I believe the actual insurance is through Cincinati Insurance Group. Bundle and you get the best pricing. Also- people tend to over insure on these cars. Are you really going to call in a claim when you accidentally scrape your mirror backing out of the garage? No, you dont want the car fax hit, you dont want your premiums to go up. You are simply going to suck it up and pay cash for the repair. Get your deductible as high as possible to keep premiums low.

At $3500 a year, you will own the car 3-4 years that 14k in insurance that likely you will never use! Talk about ADM! The only thing you need protection from is for catastrophic loss and liability. For the minor stuff, self insure, ie pay out of pocket.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:12 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 128 Posts

I pay a bit over $1,900 for my Touring, with Nationwide...and I live on California. Being 62 may make a difference.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:51 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
I have a private mortgage broker and they do my home, cars, etc. I believe the actual insurance is through Cincinati Insurance Group. Bundle and you get the best pricing. Also- people tend to over insure on these cars. Are you really going to call in a claim when you accidentally scrape your mirror backing out of the garage? No, you dont want the car fax hit, you dont want your premiums to go up. You are simply going to suck it up and pay cash for the repair. Get your deductible as high as possible to keep premiums low.

At $3500 a year, you will own the car 3-4 years that 14k in insurance that likely you will never use! Talk about ADM! The only thing you need protection from is for catastrophic loss and liability. For the minor stuff, self insure, ie pay out of pocket.
What deductibles are you running ?
I assume liability portion of policy is covered under a several million $ umbrella policy
EDIT
Cincinnati wants all my insurance, refuses write only the RS. I'm happy with my homeowners, umbrella and DD cars
National-wide will NOT write any GT cars in NV, no exceptions
I'm a Amazed at the number of insurance companies refusing to write GT cars

Last edited by 0to60; 11-30-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:40 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0to60
I assume liability portion of policy is covered under a several million $ umbrella policy
deductible is max they allow- I'm checking....has been a while since I reviewed the policy
Old 11-30-2018, 01:41 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0to60
EDIT
Cincinnati wants all my insurance, refuses write only the RS. I'm happy with my homeowners, umbrella and DD cars
National-wide will NOT write any GT cars in NV, no exceptions
I'm a Amazed at the number of insurance companies refusing to write GT cars

yes you will get the best rates if you do all your insurance through one contact. We switched everything and saved about 4 grand a year.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

How has the service been with filing any claims with your guys providers ?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Sanjaghak
Advanced

Thanks for all the replays.
I asked my insurance broker to start the process and get me the quotes.
The outcome was interesting. The usual providers (Mercury, Progressive, Nationwide, ...) are not doing agreed value and their rate for their formal coverage was too high too. the lowest wanted more than 4K just the GT3 (I am already paying them $1900 for the two other cars)

So then my broker went to Hagerty as it was only specialized provider that my broker works with. Their quote was much better at around $3400 for agreed value of $225K. BUT there is one deal breaker issue. I live in an apartment complex with underground gated parking (also has many security camera throughout the parking including one directly looking at my spot), however, Hagerty told my broker that they only insure the car if it get kept in a private and secure garage or car storage.

Does this make any sense? I know a lot of people that are living in metropolitans in complexes and high-rises and own exotic collectible cars that they keep in their shared gated parking levels (some of them even need the valet parking to park their car in the parking facility under the building). It means none of them can insure their cars properly
?

Anybody here faced the same issue?
Pricing aside, I still have this issue? Anybody who leaves in a Condo complex (secured gate parking for all residents) had the same issue? I checked with two other providers and they both asking for the private locked garage.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:58 PM
Dot23RS
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Pricing aside, I still have this issue? Anybody who leaves in a Condo complex (secured gate parking for all residents) had the same issue? I checked with two other providers and they both asking for the private locked garage.
Does this make any sense? I know a lot of people that are living in metropolitans in complexes and high-rises and own exotic collectible cars that they keep in their shared gated parking levels (some of them even need the valet parking to park their car in the parking facility under the building). It means none of them can insure their cars properly?
this is very interesting, there are a huge number of six figure plus cars in my condo complex (Coronado CA). I have all of my current cars insured with progressive on their maxed out levels and have been quoted to add my 2019 3RS for about $1,500-2k a year, albeit car has still not arrived and it was just a quote. Years ago a Ferrari I had was totaled by an underinsured driver and I did have to fight them on diminished value, took a year but I won. Hard to believe if an insurance company is willing to begin the policy and accept premiums that they don’t have the liability to pay out full market value.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:42 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

For my 2018 GT3....Hagerty quoted me $4163 .....uh no friggin way I'll stick with State Farm
Old 12-06-2018, 09:46 AM
Porsches
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

CANADA ONLY - What company do us Canuks use? I use Belairdirect and have a full replacement value with guaranteed value of what I paid for first few years. Cost about $50 more. I pay about $1500 with $5000 deductible (not gong to make a claim for less than that anyhow)

Quick Reply: Right insurance for a GT car