Sponsored by:

Track Lap Monitoring; Aim Solo DL2 vs Vbox

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 12:05 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Track Lap Monitoring; Aim Solo DL2 vs Vbox

This year I am going to upgrade from using my Harry's lap timer & Gopro's to either a V-Box or Aim Solo DL. Can I please get people's opinions on the system they are using and if you have used both system which one you like better and why? Thanks everyone for your feedback and help.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:00 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

I had a similar thread recently. Do a quick search, there are opinions and suggestions in there.

Why move away from HLT and GoPro? Looking for integrated setup?
Old 11-24-2018, 04:55 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 1,757 Posts

once installed - this setup just works - got tired of unreliable harry's and GoPro's not working or crapping out…bonus with full car data tie-in you get full data analysis + video overlay

https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/ind...ers/vbox-video

sample results can be here:

I haven't calibrated the the g-meter or swapped the template from KPH to MPH - but you get in the car, you start driving - you'll have video with data -and when you turn the car off it stops recording.

I love it.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:12 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 For the HD2 by Vbox/Racelgoic. Amazing setup.

I presume you're local so I can assist with helping you set it up if you go that route.

Option B) would be Aim Solo2 DL. You can then add their camera system to it so you can run them together in tandem with the camera using the GPS antenna off the Solo2.

The Aim Solo2/Smarty Cam HD is the lesser expensive option of the two; about $1800 for everything. The HD2 full setup with dual cameras you're looking at spending about $4K. I can show you how to permanently mount everything in either setup.

Personally I like the HD2.

- Chris.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:32 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I've used both and either is going to be a BIG improvement from Harry's (MHO); especially in terms of set-it-and-forget-it operation. Both do require some amount of initial setup and there's a learning curve though -- be sure to purchase from source that provides good/knowledgeable support (see the Data forum for some good alternatives); but I've had great service from Peter Krause (aka ProCoach) so I'd endorse him as a person to discuss what you need (he sells and supports both things you are considering).

The difference really comes down to how you want to use the data and how deep you want to get into it and in which mode (video or analytical).

Both systems will give you more then enough to play with and learn from if your use case doesn't call for getting into nitty gritty; at that level you can't go wrong

Beyond the basics...

The VBOX does a lot more for you in terms of instant use of video sync'ed to the data squiggly lines. It's really quick and easy to come in from the track and look at the data and video side by side and get some ideas for what to work on in the next session.

The main limiter I found with VBOX is the analysis software and there AIM has the advantage. The AIM software let's you control layout of the data much more specifically (you can do x/y charts of more than just G-Lat/G-Long for example, or put two traces on one axis overlaid...VBOX s/w can't do those things and quite a few more) and it also gives you a MUCH richer set of math functions to look at...and there are some really interesting (well, to me ) measures/signals you can look at with a little math so if that's your inclination, VBOX may well frustrate you quickly. AIM doesn't really sync video to data well (yet...but don't hold your breath ) meaning you have to juggle that for yourself with their software and a video player app...so if that matters to you VBOX wins handily.

In a sense, if you want to stare more at the video and occasionally reference squigglies for the odd data value or line slope then VBOX is the winner. If you want to spend more time with the data and analysis of that using the video just to find places in the session to look at "what happened there?!" when you find something odd looking in the data then I'd say AIM would work better.

[full disclosure to calibrate: I'm really interested in the analysis so I ended up moving to MoTeC...arguably serious overkill for a street car but better hardware and better software all around...at a steep price of entry...I started on AIM DL with the CAN tap and SmartyCam but moved from that to VBOX because of the workload required to sync video and data to look at things between track sessions...VBOX HD2 with CAN tap improved that but at the cost of restrictions on ways to look at the data. I have a C125 dash with logging and a V2 camera now which is kind a best of both...but you'd have to have the same screw loose as me to spend that much]
Old 11-24-2018, 09:30 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good comments and, being an experienced user on all three platforms, I would agree.

The AiM actually has great data but has a big learning curve. I especially like how easy it is to import run sessions from other drivers to compare data and overlay.

I also feel the AiM setup is better for a temp install; the HD2 is really better to be permanently installed in the car.

FYI - on the HD2 I am actually using the integral GPS antenna in the car; not the supplied unit with the HD2. On my RS I removed the radio and installed the shelf. I found a Fakra adapter to convert the pin from the oem GPS antenna into the back of the HD2. Works really well and seems to pick up satellites much faster actually. I also found a fakra splitter if you wanted to keep your radio in the car and still use the GPS antenna in the car.

- Chris.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

VBOX is great, idiot proof
Old 11-24-2018, 11:38 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the information and contributions.

Quick Reply: Track Lap Monitoring; Aim Solo DL2 vs Vbox