Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ferodo DS 1.11 pad wear with Radi-Cal setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 09:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Your not doing anything..”wrong”. Yeah those pads...especially race pads should NOT do this....! I know PFC and Pagid will just wear right to the backing plate. From all the issues I had with Ferodo and from what I’ve seen I do not know why people continue to use them when there are proven pads out there. I hear good things about the RE10 pad too but I haven’t used them but know friends that have with nice results.

Im back to using Pagid at the track. My experience and experiment with Ferodo was a waste of $...had a few racer friends warn me...should have listened.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:33 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Ok, what am I doing wrong that I have this happen with Ferodo DS1.11 at about 50% or more of material left? I run tracks that are easy on brakes, and pads last a very long time with very little wear and then just turn into dust. I thought one set was defective, but it happened again and again. The material on the photo looks a little less than 50% but that's because I did half a session while it was already crumbling and wearing at high rate, and pulled in because it felt wrong. But before that session it was definitely at over 50%. That's just not safe - check before a session, and there is plenty of material, go out and lose brakes right after a warm-up lap...

Oh my...time to switch pads...!
Old 11-25-2018, 09:35 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yeah those pads...especially race pads should NOT do this....! I know PFC and Pagid will just wear right to the backing plate. From all the issues I had with Ferodo and from what I’ve seen I do not know why people continue to use them when there are proven pads out there. I hear good things about the RE10 pad too but I haven’t used them but know friends that have with nice results.

Im back to using Pagid at the track. My experience and experiment with Ferodo was a waste of $...had a few racer friends warn me...should have listened.
I am running RE10's on my GT4. Love them so far, pedal feel is amazing, easy to trail brake, lots of bite but not so much that it engages abs to quickly...only have two track days on them so far, so dont know about wear just yet. But, they do not even look worn a bit after two full days
Old 11-25-2018, 09:39 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Your not doing anything..”wrong”. Yeah those pads...especially race pads should NOT do this....! I know PFC and Pagid will just wear right to the backing plate. From all the issues I had with Ferodo and from what I’ve seen I do not know why people continue to use them when there are proven pads out there. I hear good things about the RE10 pad too but I haven’t used them but know friends that have with nice results.

FWIW, I've never had that happen to me after 3 years worth of track days with the ds1.11 I've used in my GT3 and GT4. They are good down to the backing plate.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:52 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

It is so interesting that we are all having such different experiences with these pads. I am going to give RE10’s a try before Sebring in January
Old 11-26-2018, 06:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Jadski...i haven't tried RE10's but plenty of my track friends have run them and I never heard of issues with them. Seems like Pagid, PFC (for the cars they make them for) and RE10...my Porsche track friends run these with no issues like seen with the Ferodo's. There are a few guys with cup 996 and 997's that I know that have tried Ferodo and they didn't complain...but those are different brake pig's than out street Porsche's...I'm back to Pagids...they work best for me so far.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

RE10's are fantastic, but last time I inquired they were not made in the necessary size/shape for the AP calipers.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:02 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

A sponsor was big on these in a discussion I had recently, but this user feedback is less than stellar. Unless someone shows a pad consistently better for longevity and overall performance than the RE-10s I'll stick with those.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:43 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

The stock pads are also fantastic on track!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:24 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mech33
The stock pads are also fantastic on track!
Steel or PCCB rotors? Thanks! Mike
Old 11-27-2018, 12:58 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

The pad taper doesn't bother me one bit. You're going to see some on virtually any brake setup, it's always a good idea to rotate pads both directionally and inboard/outboard.

Regarding the crumbling. Yikes. Makes me wonder if this is partly due to ABS being engaged to much/quickly (TC/ESC "on" would increase temps further), causing higher than normal amounts of heat put into the pads. I know for a fact when I accidently left all aids on for a session, my brakes were on fire, and my tire temps/pressures shot way up above the normal target range due to the additional heat generated. Not blaming it on the pad or the driver, but it's usually a combination of factors, barring a legitimately bad batch of pads.

I have a set of DS2500's I was going to test, but also might just swap stock pads back in and give them a go at the next track day come spring-time. If neither of those do the trick, I'll just go back to Pagid RS29's and pray for a PFC08 re-release. LOL.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:14 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Some small chunks coming off the edges is normal and not problematic. Having half the pad come off is NOT normal.

MaxLTV and Jadski,
  • When did you buy those pads that had the large chunks come off the back plate?
  • Did you ask the person who sold you those pads for assistance at the time the issue occurred?
We did have a few customers early on who had the chunking problems. As a result of those issues, Ferodo did a running change to their pads because we did have some chunking issues early on in the product life-cycle. A) They added a different fiber to their mix and B) they added an additional curing process which we refer to as "Super Bake." Both of those modifications have virtually eliminated any of the early chunking and crumbling problems we saw. All current production DS1.11 pads in the OEM 991 GT3 shapes and the pad shapes for our brake kits contain these revisions.

Those who have reported an issue have been treated properly and remain customers. Anyone who knows anything about our business knows that we do everything we can to keep our customers happy. Clark at Apex has also sold a large number of Ferodo pads to Porsche customers. He also bends over backwards to go to bat for his customers when they have an issue. However, if the issue isn't reported however, we can't help you!

As noted by others in this thread, the vast majority of Porsche Ferodo pad customers are loving their pads and haven't had these issues. We have hundreds of GT3 owners out there every weekend thrashing them with great success. The happy ones tend not to say much about it unfortunately.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 11-27-2018, 12:02 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

This occurred last year. Clark at Apex is awesome. He actually replaced my pads at no charge. Excellent customer service. The replacement pads and 2 subsequent sets have not chunked off like the ones posted from last year.

Unfortunately I am only getting about 4 days sometimes 5 out of my fronts running primarily Rd Atlanta and Barber Motorsports Park. Only a couple of more days out of the rears. I have not had a problem with performance of the pads and we replace when thickness equals the thickness of the backing plate. I am running Girodisc rotors. The guys who do my track prep say it’s because I am driving the “crap” out of the car. Maybe so, but I hear better longevity from other Porsche guys that run RE10’s on the same tracks with their GT3’s. Obviously, lots of variables to consider. Hard for me to know what is reasonable wear based on southeast temps, Hoosiers, Driving style, tracks, etc.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:12 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Understood Jadski. Thanks for the input, and I'm glad Clark took care of you. I appreciate the data points, and it sounds like the new formulation has proven effective and resistant to chunking in your case. If you happen to still have the backing plates from the old pads that had issues and could get me a picture of them, that would be helpful to log with Ferodo.

Have you ever taken, and do you have the capability to take disc temperatures? Knowing the temps you're hitting could be extremely helpful in selecting components. If your disc temps are crazy high, you're going to be hell on pads no matter who made them. The solution there would be to try and get your disc temps down. If you're discs are running hot, everything downstream of them is hot. Hot discs= hot pads= hot pistons= hot calipers=hot fluid. Heat is the enemy, and you always have to try and get to the root of the problem.

Would you be interested in trying the new Ferodo DS3.12 compound, which are designed to be more wear-resistant? Thanks again.

Originally Posted by jadski
This occurred last year. Clark at Apex is awesome. He actually replaced my pads at no charge. Excellent customer service. The replacement pads and 2 subsequent sets have not chunked off like the ones posted from last year.

Unfortunately I am only getting about 4 days sometimes 5 out of my fronts running primarily Rd Atlanta and Barber Motorsports Park. Only a couple of more days out of the rears. I have not had a problem with performance of the pads and we replace when thickness equals the thickness of the backing plate. I am running Girodisc rotors. The guys who do my track prep say it’s because I am driving the “crap” out of the car. Maybe so, but I hear better longevity from other Porsche guys that run RE10’s on the same tracks with their GT3’s. Obviously, lots of variables to consider. Hard for me to know what is reasonable wear based on southeast temps, Hoosiers, Driving style, tracks, etc.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:15 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Right up front I will state I am a big fan of Essex and Clark. I have had issues in the past with another brand of pads that have been mentioned in this thread and they took care of me without question. The manufacturer of those other pads told me literally I was using the pads incorrectly. Do a search, my issue was on a BMW but there are plenty of delaminating / crumbling pads from that other brand on 991 GT3's. The difference is that Ferodo reformulated their pads.

Quick Reply: Ferodo DS 1.11 pad wear with Radi-Cal setup