Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 RS - no mag wheel option for 2019 builds?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 03:04 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

This is unbelievable. The Magnesium wheels are available to the .3RS configurator now, and not on the .2RS?

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972

It gets worse. The mag wheels are available for 2019 3RS builds but not 2RS. Apparently the car with a $100k lower base price gets priority in 2019 :/

Old 01-27-2019, 06:11 AM
manolis
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972

In my opinion, Porsche should have limited them to the 2RS or at least made sure the 2RS orders were always prioritized. The mag wheels were on the launch car and part of what made it unique vs the 3RS. My guess is that they didn’t originally intend to sell the 2RS into 2019 but always wanted a certain number of 3RS car to be delivered and in the market with the full Weissach package. They therefore made the decision to allocate the capacity at BBS to 2019 3RS’s at the expense of late build 2RS’s.

i actually prefer the look of the standard wheels but wanted my 2RS to have as many visual differences as possible versus my .2 3RS.
Couldn't agree with you more scrappy! It's a joke that 3rs can now get them while the 2rs (which they were made for) now cant have them. It is adding insult to injury to those 2rs owners yet to receive their cars. I paid the extra large price for them along with the WP purely as a point of having differentiation between non WP .2rs's and .3rs cars. Seems Porsche has betrayed its 2rs WP customers which is very disappointing. I guess soon they will be available from Suncoast for a Boxster fitment.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:32 AM
Hrtbeats
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So they announce limited numbers/special production/or last of its kind with an unknown future, create speculative market/flippers/adm, then to remedy situation over produce or not have the material to offer like in 2rs mag wheel, then they say it’s response to allow enthusiast access(at 250-350$k depends on rs) and then the cycle starts again. Once again Porsche makes a fantastic product, but this wild Wild West process of unknown production and excess pay on cars and then potential of drop is truly insane. I can understand once in a while with a limited run car by a company like the ford gt, but cycling it every 6-12 months...gotta love it and laugh, get the car and enjoy it and pass it on to next gaurdian of these well built pieces of art. Eventually the global market will control it.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:50 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrtbeats
So they announce limited numbers/special production/or last of its kind with an unknown future, create speculative market/flippers/adm, then to remedy situation over produce or not have the material to offer like in 2rs mag wheel, then they say it’s response to allow enthusiast access(at 250-350$k depends on rs) and then the cycle starts again. Once again Porsche makes a fantastic product, but this wild Wild West process of unknown production and excess pay on cars and then potential of drop is truly insane. I can understand once in a while with a limited run car by a company like the ford gt, but cycling it every 6-12 months...gotta love it and laugh, get the car and enjoy it and pass it on to next gaurdian of these well built pieces of art. Eventually the global market will control it.
Except that they said the 2RS would not be limited. The limitation that Porsche and other carmakers cite as ‘capacity’ relates to all models, not just their GT or special series.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:23 AM
Hrtbeats
Intermediate

They didn’t say limited numbered cars, but will likely be limited to around 1000 low production! Big difference 1000 to over double
Old 01-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

They didn’t say limited numbered cars, but will likely be limited to around 1000 low production! Big difference 1000 to over double
It appears they misjudged demand. Thankfully, their decision to extend production means more people who genuinely want the car will be able to get one, myself included.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:12 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
This is unbelievable. The Magnesium wheels are available to the .3RS configurator now, and not on the .2RS?

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
All GT2RS allocations in the US are frozen, so that is why the recent availability of magnesium wheels have not been allocated toward the them. In the meantime, the supply/production of magnesium wheels caught back up. Since the only allocations that are still changeable are the GT3RS's, Porsche allocated them toward those cars to give those last few people the opportunity. The situation is not as it is characterized here in these posts, where Porsche is supposedly trying to screw over GT2RS buyers.

Hindsight is 20/20. Trying to anticipate worldwide demand for the most expensive wheels in the marketplace is not so easy. The fact those wheels became hard-to-get created more demand for them, which only compounded the problem. Hope this adds a little clarity and removes some conspiracy.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:58 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Porsche never hinted that they'd only produce 1,000 2RSs...that's what some of the early buyers were hyping and hoping for. Nope sorry, looks like Porsche will pump out over 3,000 of them worldwide and we'll get more than a 1,000 just in the US. Porsche doing the right thing as always, props to them.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:00 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
All GT2RS allocations in the US are frozen, so that is why the recent availability of magnesium wheels have not been allocated toward the them. In the meantime, the supply/production of magnesium wheels caught back up. Since the only allocations that are still changeable are the GT3RS's, Porsche allocated them toward those cars to give those last few people the opportunity. The situation is not as it is characterized here in these posts, where Porsche is supposedly trying to screw over GT2RS buyers.

Hindsight is 20/20. Trying to anticipate worldwide demand for the most expensive wheels in the marketplace is not so easy. The fact those wheels became hard-to-get created more demand for them, which only compounded the problem. Hope this adds a little clarity and removes some conspiracy.
Is Feb or March the last build month for 2RSs?
Old 01-27-2019, 03:53 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

thx for the info
Old 01-27-2019, 04:14 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Do you work for Porsche? Is that the basis for the statement of facts you put forth? I don’t think it’s a conspiracy. No one said Porsche is trying to screw over GT2RS buyers either. However, not back filling requests for the mag wheels sets up an unfair situation where two people pay the same money for a car with one buyer being able to order the mag wheels while another buyer can not. Initially Porsche back filled mag wheel orders while letting the owners keep the stock wheels. And now they won’t even let owners buy the mag wheels later at the configurator option price. That’s a pretty arbitrary business practice and leaves some very good customers without the spec they want. The Weissach package was designed to optimally work with the mag wheels and most of the weight savings comes from the mag wheels. The mag wheels also provide dynamic benefits in handling as well as acceleration and braking. This is not a shining example of Porsche taking care of their good customers.

Last edited by Hex; 01-27-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:45 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you for heads up that GT2RS are frozen in 2019. The online configuration is misleading. On ordering a GT3RS sees that the magnesium alloys are available is a good thing as that was not available before when I got my 991.2 GT3RS. Conversely one who is ordering a GT2RS sees in the configurator that magnesium wheels are no longer offered or available. I was lucky to have my GT2RS have the magnesium wheels, however the recent deliveries if the GT2RS who couldn't order the magnesium wheels should have the ability to back order the magnesium wheels which was an integral part of an owner ordering the Weissach package.

Had the magnesium wheels been available at the time I ordered my 991.2 GT3RS, I would have chosen the magnesium rims over the arum wheels originally and still offered in the GT3RS configurator. Either way there is an unfairness to the situation. Oh well.

All I am trying to point out is give the GT2RS owners who were deprived of the magnesium wheels to have them as back order, as part of the original configuration cost.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

The only thing I can think of to remediate the situation is that owners who took delivery of their GT2RS without the magnesium rims, is for them to get the magnesium wheel set at a discounted price and hope it matches the original configurator cost of $13K.

Originally Posted by Hex

Do you work for Porsche? Is that the basis for the statement of facts you put forth. I don’t think it’s a conspiracy. No one said Porsche is trying to screw over GT2RS buyers either. However, not back filling requests for the mag wheels sets up an unfair situation where two people pay the same money for a car with one buyer being able to order the mag wheels while another buyer can not. Initially Porsche back filled mag wheel orders while letting the owners keep the stock wheels. And now they won’t even let owners buy the mag wheels later at the configurator option price. That’s a pretty arbitrary business practice and leaves some very good customers without the spec they want. The Weissach package was designed to optimally work with the mag wheels and most of the weight savings comes from the mag wheels. The mag wheels also provide dynamic benefits in handling as well as acceleration and braking. This is not a shining example of Porsche taking care of their good customers.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:42 PM
Hrtbeats
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hex

Do you work for Porsche? Is that the basis for the statement of facts you put forth? I don’t think it’s a conspiracy. No one said Porsche is trying to screw over GT2RS buyers either. However, not back filling requests for the mag wheels sets up an unfair situation where two people pay the same money for a car with one buyer being able to order the mag wheels while another buyer can not. Initially Porsche back filled mag wheel orders while letting the owners keep the stock wheels. And now they won’t even let owners buy the mag wheels later at the configurator option price. That’s a pretty arbitrary business practice and leaves some very good customers without the spec they want. The Weissach package was designed to optimally work with the mag wheels and most of the weight savings comes from the mag wheels. The mag wheels also provide dynamic benefits in handling as well as acceleration and braking. This is not a shining example of Porsche taking care of their good customers.
I was only able to lock in my config without the mag wheels as recently as few days ago while dealer trying to get more info from Vip services as to availability for my 2rs. If 3rs orders are being filled, it is as I agree with some of the fellows absurd not to offer with the car that wa marketed and big big price tag!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:29 PM
RupeTN
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1

Had the magnesium wheels been available at the time I ordered my 991.2 GT3RS, I would have chosen the magnesium rims over the arum wheels originally and still offered in the GT3RS configurator. Either way there is an unfairness to the situation. Oh well.
Ditto. Would have done the same. Bummed that even with the WP on my car I can’t get the wheels for a later delivery. Understand there may be supply issues but why punish the customer?
They certainly don’t have a problem sending me the CF steering wheel later. Seems like that is a supplier problem as well.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:28 PM
manolis
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RupeTN

Ditto. Would have done the same. Bummed that even with the WP on my car I can’t get the wheels for a later delivery. Understand there may be supply issues but why punish the customer?
They certainly don’t have a problem sending me the CF steering wheel later. Seems like that is a supplier problem as well.
Checked last week on the CF steering wheel replacement but was told still no word from Germany. Hope it comes soon. Be nice to get the car completed!!

CF GT2rs steering wheels and mag wheels were for sale online at suncoast last year when Porsche had none for customer cars. Strange situation...

Quick Reply: GT2 RS - no mag wheel option for 2019 builds?