991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanical vs. E Diff

Old 11-25-2018, 12:07 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

Given porsche significantly upgraded the 6MT components compared to previous iterations, I would think the LSD would have gotten some similar treatment. They knew the 997's were weak in that area. However, unlike E-diffs, the problem with mechanical LSD's is that for street cars you can't really be overly aggressive with the locking, or else it becomes difficult in normal daily conditions, like rain, etc. etc. If you had a 997 with a Guard, even a milder 40/60, when you drove it on the street in rain, it was a scary proposition. Borderline unsafe. So for road cars, they have to find a balance, because the e-diff can provide more or less locking depending on application. The mechanical has a fixed amount based on the initial design and ramps.

For now, I find the mechanical LSD to be fantastic on track, I don't really feel the need for more lock or aggressiveness. If the internals are essentially the same as the e-diff, then hopefully we can get some good life out of them. I'm sure Guard will let us know at some point either way.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:01 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Given porsche significantly upgraded the 6MT components compared to previous iterations, I would think the LSD would have gotten some similar treatment. They knew the 997's were weak in that area. However, unlike E-diffs, the problem with mechanical LSD's is that for street cars you can't really be overly aggressive with the locking, or else it becomes difficult in normal daily conditions, like rain, etc. etc. If you had a 997 with a Guard, even a milder 40/60, when you drove it on the street in rain, it was a scary proposition. Borderline unsafe. So for road cars, they have to find a balance, because the e-diff can provide more or less locking depending on application. The mechanical has a fixed amount based on the initial design and ramps.

For now, I find the mechanical LSD to be fantastic on track, I don't really feel the need for more lock or aggressiveness. If the internals are essentially the same as the e-diff, then hopefully we can get some good life out of them. I'm sure Guard will let us know at some point either way.
I run a 997.2 cup lsd in my 997.2 RS

It is fine on the street, and rain
Old 11-26-2018, 04:55 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
I run a 997.2 cup lsd in my 997.2 RS

It is fine on the street, and rain
Although I didn't have one, after driving and riding in a couple 997's with Cup LSD's, I think I actually preferred it to the Guard, which seemed to lock more aggressively than the Cup setup did. Cup unit just felt smoother. I can totally see how that setup may be better for street driving.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:01 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

That said, I did send a request to Holinger and Guard to see if they have any plans for an LSD upgrade for the 991.2 GT3 6MT.

Guard said they currently have no plans to offer anything for the 991.2 GT3, however Matt did note that if the gearbox is still a G97 (which is possible), then they would already have something for it. He just hasn't been able to confirm the gearbox yet. We need to confirm if the gearbox is still a G97 carryover from the 997, which certainly possible.

Holinger are the only people I know that offer an LSD upgrade for the 991 Cup gearboxes, and they also offer GT4 gear sets and LSD's, along with G97 LSD's for the 997 GT3's. I am not 100% sure, but I believe the 6MT in the .2 GT3 is just an evolution of the G97, so I assume making an LSD for it would be pretty straightforward. Given they already offer a 20-plate clutch (kinda reminds me of a Giken) for the 997 GT3, I would think it would be pretty easy to offer an upgrade for the 991.2 GT3.

I'll keep everyone posted if there are any product development plans from Holinger. If anybody will do it, it would be these guys. Here's a quick flyer on their G96/97 and 991 LSD's.

http://holingeramerica.com/media/570...rentials_w.pdf

Last edited by Mvez; 11-27-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:31 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Update:

Holinger has confirmed that the .2 GT3 has an all new gearbox, with no carryover from the previous G96/97, so it should have a new LSD as well. They said they are currently working on diffs for the 7spd cars, and then will focus engineering toward the 6spd boxes. I told them that their efforts would likely be rewarded much faster and in better volume if they went after the 6spd. The average 6MT GT3 owner is more likely to be a hardcore track guy than somebody with a base Carerra 7spd looking for an LSD, especially since the majority of GT3 owners went for the 6MT.

The good news is that it's on their radar.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,700 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Thanks for update. I’m hoping an upgrade is unnecessary, but good to have options...
Old 11-27-2018, 08:38 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Update:

Holinger has confirmed that the .2 GT3 has an all new gearbox, with no carryover from the previous G96/97, so it should have a new LSD as well. They said they are currently working on diffs for the 7spd cars, and then will focus engineering toward the 6spd boxes. I told them that their efforts would likely be rewarded much faster and in better volume if they went after the 6spd. The average 6MT GT3 owner is more likely to be a hardcore track guy than somebody with a base Carerra 7spd looking for an LSD, especially since the majority of GT3 owners went for the 6MT.

The good news is that it's on their radar.
Sweet, thanks.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

E-diff with PTV works better then the motorsports diff we ran in the 997’s but I think as a hardcore track car the RS could have a litte more diff at the limit.
Than again its just not needed to trail brake as much with RWS and PTV that gives huge front grip on the way into the corner.

Less pure, but it works great.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:49 AM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

New Post in Old thread....
Just a question... is it normal to have a noisy transmission/duff when doing parking maneuvers... I notice more it in the last months.. My manual 991 gt3 has now 28k km.... My porsche technician said it s perfectly fine and normal... Do you think the same?
Old 01-31-2021, 01:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,700 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by cox1974
New Post in Old thread....
Just a question... is it normal to have a noisy transmission/duff when doing parking maneuvers... I notice more it in the last months.. My manual 991 gt3 has now 28k km.... My porsche technician said it s perfectly fine and normal... Do you think the same?
LSD definitely has a noticeable ratcheting when the steering is fully locked
Old 01-31-2021, 01:57 PM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
LSD definitely has a noticeable ratcheting when the steering is fully locked
Thanks mate..... It also could seem a play in the gearbox housing when I use the clutch to exit from my garage... In fact if i put the rear wheels on air and turn them back and forth I hear a clank.... The noise seems "natural" and the car drives great..but I really don't know what to think..... The car has been tracked and driven a lot, never launched, but I have a gentle driving style.... :-))))

Last edited by cox1974; 01-31-2021 at 04:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mechanical vs. E Diff