Sponsored by:

Feedback Requested on 2019 GT3 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 10:47 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Feedback Requested on 2019 GT3 Build

On a day of thanks, I am especially grateful to have recently received an open build slot for a 2019 model year GT3...at MSRP! Kudos to my dealer for coming through and being true gentlemen for honoring their word of an MSRP spot when I went on the waitlist 2+ years ago. Now for the hard part: what do I build? I find myself drawn towards two opposing concepts: one, a louder, winged beast of a race car; the second, a more subdued machine, a sleeper in every way except performance. The latter is more suited to my personality, but I love Guards Red (see current Turbo in avatar) and my Spyder already gives me the more quiet version, as it is white on black. My current build is loaded as the red, winged car, but I'm having second thoughts, perhaps in part because going with the Touring car would enable me to mentally justify keeping my 997TT (also red/black), which I'm loath to sell, needing neither the funds nor garage space, but feeling compelled to do so if I've got a nearly identical GT3 inbound. My order locks on 11/30.

Here are the builds:

Red/Black - Winged: http://www.porsche-code.com/PKU2XPQ4

GT Silver/Black - Touring: http://www.porsche-code.com/PKLBNFX9

So two questions:

(1) Which build?
(2) Any options I should strongly consider that aren't in one of the builds?
Old 11-22-2018, 10:54 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

1. My vote is touring
2. Smoking package I would add

They are very different looks for sure. PS your order is supposed to lock 11/30, mine locked 12 days early so do try to make a decision quickly or it may be made for you.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:58 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Personally I like the touring build for several reasons very classic color, and I’m just not a red car guy but if you love it do it. I also prefer buckets as I find them comfortable giving perfect driving posture. Good luck with your selection either way it’s a win, but the touring would be my selection.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:01 AM
Ryanrayburn
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Man that is a tough decision. I personally love the looks and the idea behind the touring package, however I feel like the GT3 should be an in your face loud race car (center bypass). My vote would be the winged version. A lot of options are personal preference, however I believe having owned a .1 GT3 and now a .1 GT3RS that front axle lift and PCCB are a must option (which you already have in the builds). The only other option maybe to consider would be the smoking package so it covers up the open space in the center console and deviated seat belts if that is something you like (much more expensive to add later). Such a fun process either way, and I am sure you will enjoy whichever you choose.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:38 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I would first ask; how will i use this car? Track? Street? Weekends? Any weather? Date night? Etc...

Obvisouly the touring will be lower key. If you won’t do ANY track time and it will be mostly a street-cruiser, then go with the low-key touring.

Just my .02.

Can’t go wrong here....

Congrats.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:47 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Good thoughts above. Usage is street only, no track. Sunny days April - November when temps >40 degrees. Pretty much to drive from heated garage at home to heated garage at work, with occasional errands elsewhere. Probably 1K miles per year, 2K if I can manage it somehow. Wish I could use more, but work, family, and life get in the way!
Old 11-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
Good thoughts above. Usage is street only, no track. Sunny days April - November when temps >40 degrees. Pretty much to drive from heated garage at home to heated garage at work, with occasional errands elsewhere. Probably 1K miles per year, 2K if I can manage it somehow. Wish I could use more, but work, family, and life get in the way!
Touring for sure ........
Old 11-22-2018, 11:52 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the red one! Experience the real GT3 experience before you go for a touring. There are a million subdued looking wingless Porsche models, but only the GT models look the way they do. Don't forget to add PCCB to your red build as well.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:28 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Get the red one! Experience the real GT3 experience before you go for a touring. There are a million subdued looking wingless Porsche models, but only the GT models look the way they do. Don't forget to add PCCB to your red build as well.
x2 feel the same way, but you can't go wrong with either choice. I had to go wing for my first GT3, and really happy I went that route (was debating touring package too). Having the wing, the scoops, the buckets I find all add to a fun sense of occasion when driving my GT3 especially compared with my .2 C4, since I see so many 911 variants on the road in LA. Just feels a bit more unique of a 911 and still somewhat subtle especially compared to the RS models. Really like GR on the .2 as it was the launch/communication color as well. Your patience paid off, congrats especially @ MSRP
Old 11-22-2018, 12:33 PM
lkoury
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go Touring for sure, and think about adding the platinum painted wheels. Otherwise awesome.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:39 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Go with the option which best suits your personality.

I'd recommend adding leather air vent surrounds/slats including your deviated stitching. Expensive, but an important finishing touch IMHO as you're doing many other interior options. Good luck!
Old 11-22-2018, 12:40 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

I love guards red, and got it on my first Porsche, a 987.2 Boxster and also on both my 991.1 and 992.2 winged GT3s.

don’t worry about having two cars of the same color in the garage. My boxster and GT3 looked great together. Do think about what colors look best on what kind of cars. Guards is a natural color for a winged GT3, while guards on a Touring defeats the entire cosmetic purpose of a touring.....to be an under the radar car.

Get guards if winged, get a less extreme color if Touring, but don’t stress about owning two cars of the same color.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:45 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Light design package is a waste of money- hard to tell what you get, I left it out in my GT3.

TEHO but, I would spec yellow as deviated stitching in the Touring to match the PCCB's. Yellow belts maybe, but they can look dingy after a while without cleaning.

However, based on what you have and want to keep, then I would go with the winged GT3 as the touring has too much overlap with the Turbo.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:49 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Porsche strong just curious is it a local dealer...of your area.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:52 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Touring no doubt. This is the best road going Porsche I have ever driven. This GT3 touring is something special. We may not have the flat six 4 L in the future models. I think it is the zenith of Porsche water cooled flat 6, naturally aspirated race engine development. There is no other car that feels so special even when cruising around at 4-5 rpm in 4th gear!

For tracking, there will be numerous future iterations of Porsches. All Porsche GT cars feel great when screaming at full throttle on track!!

Quick Reply: Feedback Requested on 2019 GT3 Build