Sponsored by:

Real Value Thread: Post Your Best Lap Times

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 11:16 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Awew911nice lap! Interested in possibly doing Dunlop’s for next set of track tires....so QUESTION....Do you need more camber for Dunlops vs MPSC2?
Thank you!

Not sure about the impact of the camber... I have the same camber setup on the 991.2 GT3 with MPSC2 - 2.5F/2.3R and it's not like they perform poorly or much differently. I was just really surprised to see the Dunlops hang as long as they have. May put Dunlops on the .2 GT3 and take that up to Road Atlanta in May. If I do that, I'll compare my times from last November's trip and let you know.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:51 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

New times for me Rob in the BRZ. RS might get an update Friday.
HPR -BRZ tS 2:14.02
Old 05-30-2019, 09:08 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

BTG 7:30 Nurburgring.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:58 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

First time out with the car was at Road America last weekend. Put down a 2:29.8 on Trofeo Rs.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:03 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Just came back from my first event with the manual 991.2 GT3, NJMP Thunderbolt 1:30.58.

OEM pads, fluid, rotors, factory alignment, Dunlops. Pretty amazing how capable the car is from the factory.

Harry's w 10Hz external GPS

Last edited by erko1905; 06-25-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:56 PM
ringzero
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Lots of firsts today: First post on rennlist! First Area 27 time posted, I think? First 911 for me, and it's a manual 991.2 GT3, squeeeee! First time on track in a 911 of any flavor, actually. Went pretty well and settled into consistent lap times similar to my C7 GS by the end of the 3rd session, which bodes well for future progress as the car was bone stock everything and I spent most of the session coming to terms with the fact that yes indeed the GT3 is an entirely different animal to learn on track than the Corvette it replaced..

Area 27, British Columbia: 2:21.05

I know folks are out here doing far, far quicker times in the 991.1/2 GT3 [RS], so should be a lot of fun to see how things improve (or don't!) as I learn the car.

-Mark

PS. thx to orthojoe and others for the extensive track day notes I spent hours reading, which led to me deciding to drive the car totally stock for a while (until 1st set of tires is used up, I'm telling myself) to get a baseline before messing with camber, toe, castor, tires, sway bars, etc. Have now done a second track day at a much smaller, tighter track and am starting to understand the natural weighting and tendencies of the thing a bit better.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:56 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ringzero
PS. thx to orthojoe and others for the extensive track day notes I spent hours reading, which led to me deciding to drive the car totally stock for a while (until 1st set of tires is used up, I'm telling myself) to get a baseline before messing with camber, toe, castor, tires, sway bars, etc.
I agree, I'm really glad I took the car out fully stock as well.

I think a lot of guys are aligning 991 GT3s using conventional 911 wisdom left over from 996/997 times. To me it didn't feel like this car needs more camber or more camber in front vs rear, it already turns in neck breakingly crisp w the RWS.

I'll monitor tire wear to see whether I need to add more camber for tire wear, but driving dynamics-wise I don't think it needs it.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:46 PM
ringzero
Advanced

Originally Posted by erko1905
I agree, I'm really glad I took the car out fully stock as well.

I think a lot of guys are aligning 991 GT3s using conventional 911 wisdom left over from 996/997 times. To me it didn't feel like this car needs more camber or more camber in front vs rear, it already turns in neck breakingly crisp w the RWS.

I'll monitor tire wear to see whether I need to add more camber for tire wear, but driving dynamics-wise I don't think it needs it.
For a different thread, I suppose, but my initial impression is that it both oversteers and understeers more than my Vette! But mostly oversteer, ha! Higher speed corner entry oversteer in particular, holy, but overall the car feels a lot looser than the Vette which was a bit of a surprise. But by the end of my 37 laps (across 4 sessions), I was adapting and the oversteer tendencies were becoming a lot less terrifying (certainly than in the Vette, which is a full code brown when the backend comes loose on entry!). It's just a different car. Loves trail braking, and oversteers less that way than initiating turn in just with throttle lift on anything even remotely off camber. Which I don't understand at all. The slower speed technical track I spent a morning on the oversteer mania wasn't nearly as dramatic, I don't think I'd change a thing on that track, but at Area 27 both driver and car need some adjustments I think! Ultimately, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be dialing in more camber for that track as it's my "home" track, but not until I've really figured the car out on the stock alignment. End of the day, it's crazy quick out of the box, and figuring this out for myself is half the fun. Well, maybe not half..
Old 06-02-2019, 11:02 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by ringzero
Lots of firsts today: First post on rennlist! First Area 27 time posted, I think? First 911 for me, and it's a manual 991.2 GT3, squeeeee! First time on track in a 911 of any flavor, actually. Went pretty well and settled into consistent lap times similar to my C7 GS by the end of the 3rd session, which bodes well for future progress as the car was bone stock everything and I spent most of the session coming to terms with the fact that yes indeed the GT3 is an entirely different animal to learn on track than the Corvette it replaced..

Area 27, British Columbia: 2:21.05

I know folks are out here doing far, far quicker times in the 991.1/2 GT3 [RS], so should be a lot of fun to see how things improve (or don't!) as I learn the car.

-Mark

PS. thx to orthojoe and others for the extensive track day notes I spent hours reading, which led to me deciding to drive the car totally stock for a while (until 1st set of tires is used up, I'm telling myself) to get a baseline before messing with camber, toe, castor, tires, sway bars, etc. Have now done a second track day at a much smaller, tighter track and am starting to understand the natural weighting and tendencies of the thing a bit better.
Welcome to the forum! Great to see more Canadians. I've driven Area 27 once in my daily (Turbo S) - very fun track, but damn, it was 38-39 degrees the entire time I was there (mid-August) - it was hell. I was sick for 3 days from overheating. I want to come out this year in Turbo S or RS but have not scheduled anything. Have they built any clubhouse or anything with AC to cool down between sessions?
Old 06-03-2019, 01:38 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Have they built any clubhouse or anything with AC to cool down between sessions?
Was supposed to be ready when we were up there the other week, but still under construction.

Absolutely in love with the track. Wish I had a transponder as I have no idea what my lap times were. Can't wait to go back.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:19 AM
ringzero
Advanced

Originally Posted by WantA997
Was supposed to be ready when we were up there the other week, but still under construction.

Absolutely in love with the track. Wish I had a transponder as I have no idea what my lap times were. Can't wait to go back.
Looks to be a bunch of Porsche events on the calendar, I'm not sure which are Porsche Driving Experience vs. just dealer days (with possible invites). PCA is having a day up there in September. I'm going to try to get out with some other 911s when I can, lots to learn. I lucked out and there were 3 other GT3s on track for my session last week, and it was super helpful to talk with other owners. How much oil to expect to burn (apparently very little in the 4.0 vs. the 3.8), tow hook solutions, etc.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Welcome to the forum! Great to see more Canadians. I've driven Area 27 once in my daily (Turbo S) - very fun track, but damn, it was 38-39 degrees the entire time I was there (mid-August) - it was hell. I was sick for 3 days from overheating. I want to come out this year in Turbo S or RS but have not scheduled anything. Have they built any clubhouse or anything with AC to cool down between sessions?
Great to know there's a few folks here that get out to my local track(s)! Is indeed an amazing track, and yeah, too hot in August.. I only got one day in there in the Vette early this season before it sold and with the 12C weather neither I or the car melted and I was 2 to 3 seconds faster not evening pushing it vs. last August! Clubhouse grand opening party for members is June 14th, so that's their drop dead deadline. Just being able to get a cold drink when your water bottle is empty is going to be heaven.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

1:57.16 this morning at HPR, Rob. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
First time out with the car was at Road America last weekend. Put down a 2:29.8 on Trofeo Rs.
I need to know the car. .1, .2, GT3, RS? Thanks.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:44 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I need to know the car. .1, .2, GT3, RS? Thanks.
.2 GT3.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Jangobipbip
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 34 Posts

7.13.06 BTG
BMW M3 Schirmer GT.

Will post GT3 RS when i receive it and drive it on the Nürburgring Nordschleife in August/September.

Quick Reply: Real Value Thread: Post Your Best Lap Times