Sponsored by:

Hard to enjoy exotic toys!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 03:44 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by ryantt
Move to the Bay Area (or LA)... tons of 911s and they are pedestrian. The “normies” can’t tell a GT3 RS from a base Carrera. You can go wherever you want and park where ever you want without fear. It’s the min reason I sold my Ferrari and threw all in with Porsche. Very liberating.
Great point. 95% of the people walking by your GT3 won’t know how hugely it differs from regular Carreas which are all over California. It is much more liberating to drive a Porsche vs a Ferrari.

IMO, With the 991 generation, the RS now is starting to look extreme enough that it gets noticeably more attention than a GT3.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:02 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

This series of posts underscores why the T is such a great car. I love my GT3 but have some anxiety driving it but little with T.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:25 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Depends on what % of your net worth you paid for the car...

<2%: you won’t care about any of those things including totaling it at the track
10-20%: depreciation, miles, and chips will bother you
>50%: a fly pooping on it will bother you

Has nothing to do with the car being “exotic” or not.
That make some sense I guess. Underlying reason why I like multiple cars in my garage. Nothing like having a 1000 HP Porsche in my garage. Yeah, it got 8 wheels too.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:47 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I'll take the bait....none of those issues bother me one bit....in fact, I don't own more cars because I CAN'T put the miles on them that would make it worthwhile....
Old 11-21-2018, 09:55 AM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
everyone has good reasons above.
I used to be sensitive.
now I think of it this way....
20 years ago, I was in way better shape ( I am in pretty good shape now). I don't need warmup , cool down, or stretching,. out the gate, literally any sport, I am at 99%. nothing hurts. played tennis 6 hours a day pretty much everyday. ran miles and miles in morning. no a prob...

today... after a ride, knee makes STRANGE AND SCARY noises.
lift a few pounds, need to have Xray done on shoulders
walks into garage ... more like fell into garage and giant bursa on elbow.

so what's the point of all this?

if I am not lasting forever, certainly I dont want my toys to last forever.
I want to USE THEM UP before I enter the casket.

if my legs are full of scars from cycling wrecks and lower back hurting from other sports. then it's ok that my cars have a few chips and blemishes. bc In my mind, NO CAR is more exotic than myself.

this line of thinking freed me up.
friends who rode with me will tell you that I don't baby the 4.0 and CGT, hearing the lip scarp or bounce off the pavement is routine pleasure. that said, I do maintain them well. they work work and rest well.

give that a try. you may be surprised.
I ran marathons in college and med school, then bike raced for several years at a very high level training 8000 miles a year....while maintaining a busy surgery practice. The older you get...the faster you were. Now my back's stiff, etc. A 3 mile jog or walk is enough.
But, it's always a special occasion to hop (slowly and carefully) into one of these machines to go for a ride!

Old 11-21-2018, 10:57 AM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

I am always impressed by the accumulated wisdom here, especially the last two posts. Thank you for this...best wishes for a Healthy Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:03 AM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

Zero worries with any of the OP's list, I ONLY worry about a strippers high heel tearing my leather seat or dash.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:38 AM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
Is it me or does everyone that drive Exotic cars have the same fear
*Depreciation
*driving To many miles
*rock chips
*scared to park in a parking lot
This depends...being OCD i have these issues for any car that cost over 40k. That's why i have a 6k car for daily and reserve sports / exotics for the fun stuff
Old 11-21-2018, 12:08 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

I like to drive the GT3. I take it to the office, to the grocery, to have a haircut...heck, I take it to the track often. Too many miles..., yeah, I think about it, then I read Roby's blog and fell better. Rock chips....yeah, I feel bad when I get any, but since I am keeping the car "forever", I plan to repaint it in several years if it gets bad enough. Parking.....I suppose that's one that makes me pause, but only for a moment. Depreciation......as I plan to keep the car "forever" and drive it all the time, that's that never comes into the picture.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:18 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I like to drive the GT3. I take it to the office, to the grocery, to have a haircut...heck, I take it to the track often. Too many miles..., yeah, I think about it, then I read Roby's blog and fell better. Rock chips....yeah, I feel bad when I get any, but since I am keeping the car "forever", I plan to repaint it in several years if it gets bad enough. Parking.....I suppose that's one that makes me pause, but only for a moment. Depreciation......as I plan to keep the car "forever" and drive it all the time, that's that never comes into the picture.
We can't take the cars or the money with us, buddy!
Old 11-21-2018, 12:42 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
everyone has good reasons above.
I used to be sensitive.
now I think of it this way....
20 years ago, I was in way better shape ( I am in pretty good shape now). I don't need warmup , cool down, or stretching,. out the gate, literally any sport, I am at 99%. nothing hurts. played tennis 6 hours a day pretty much everyday. ran miles and miles in morning. no a prob...

today... after a ride, knee makes STRANGE AND SCARY noises.
lift a few pounds, need to have Xray done on shoulders
walks into garage ... more like fell into garage and giant bursa on elbow.

so what's the point of all this?

if I am not lasting forever, certainly I dont want my toys to last forever.
I want to USE THEM UP before I enter the casket.

if my legs are full of scars from cycling wrecks and lower back hurting from other sports. then it's ok that my cars have a few chips and blemishes. bc In my mind, NO CAR is more exotic than myself.

this line of thinking freed me up.
friends who rode with me will tell you that I don't baby the 4.0 and CGT, hearing the lip scarp or bounce off the pavement is routine pleasure. that said, I do maintain them well. they work work and rest well.

give that a try. you may be surprised.

Wisdom
Old 11-21-2018, 12:45 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

My GT3 is my daily driver, including my current 50 mile round trip daily commute to/from work. I track it 3-4 times year as well. My prior Turbo-S, GT4, four other 911s and several Ferrari's were all my DD too. What good is any car if your afraid to drive it?. Sure, I may lose money in depreciation due to high miles, but I have more smiles per mile that garage queen owners do!
Old 11-21-2018, 12:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Ho
Wisdom
This really is wisdom. A car with miles and a few blemishes is a car that was enjoyed to the fullest. The ultimate luxury!
Old 11-21-2018, 01:29 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Being the richest guy in the graveyard is overrated. Not to be morbid but the amount of time between when we are able to afford these cars and when our body breaks down to the point we can't drive them is what, 40-50 years, max? That's but a twinkling of an eye. Just live in the moment and enjoy the experience. Most of us are lucky and provided you have a plan for savings and retirement the marginal $50 grand you will lose in depreciation isn't going to alter your life to the downside. But the experience of owning and using these cars, for car us car guys, can definitely make our life experience on this rock all the more "richer."
Old 11-21-2018, 01:31 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Depends on what % of your net worth you paid for the car...

<2%: you won’t care about any of those things including totaling it at the track
10-20%: depreciation, miles, and chips will bother you
>50%: a fly pooping on it will bother you

Has nothing to do with the car being “exotic” or not.
Exactly. It's all a matter of perspective, but that being said, I would argue that most of us have "been there" before, which is why I don't understand the need for people to denigrate the OP.

We've all had that feeling, be it with cars, camera equipment, watches, or any first time high value item. 50% of a college student's net worth may not be what's in your wallet at any one time, but we've all been college students with a new laptop or a new iPhone.

Quick Reply: Hard to enjoy exotic toys!