Sponsored by:

Hard to enjoy exotic toys!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 11:26 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
I worked my entire 20’s starting various businesses and at 28 I finally achieved a level of success that allowed me to purchase my first high end sports car. At first, I was terrified of all the things in the OP’s list.

Fast forward 5 years and I have owned a number of these cars and no longer give much thought to any of these concerns. I still take proper precautions and always wrap my cars in PPF, park in an end spot away from others, and try to avoid moronic drivers but **** still happens.

Just a couple of days ago a porter at the dealership hit the front of one of my cars and the bumper and fender will need to be repainted and PPF will need to be reapplied... I literally was upset for 30 seconds and then moved on with my day. The kid was terrified he would lose his job and instead of acting like an angry child, I took the opportunity to put the porter’s mind at ease and joke with him and the service manager. Life is too short to worry about this stuff or get all upset when something silly like this occurs.

Life happens and sometimes there is nothing you can do but suck it up and handle it like a professional. Do the best you can to protect yourself and take good care of your possessions but never allow them to own you.

There are very few things that can’t be fixed if damaged or bought again if lost.
Great attitude.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:25 AM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Norcalgt3

depends where. Peninsula is way different - McLarens and Ferraris saturate the area. East bay is another world in my mind
Lamorinda isn't into sports cars, but Old Man cars, especially Bentaygas. Also, Alamo has some nutty cars wandering around.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:40 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Get good insurance and quit worrying about these cars....or get rid of 'em
Old 11-22-2018, 02:29 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I’ve had those “phobias” in #1 condition hobby cars regardless of value or marque. My solution is to buy #2-#3 condition cars or quickly turn #1 to #2.

Drive/race, maintain, enjoy with others. Rinse, repeat.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:34 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 175 Posts

I worked my entire 20’s starting various businesses and at 28 I finally achieved a level of success that allowed me to purchase my first high end sports car. At first, I was terrified of all the things in the OP’s list.

Fast forward 5 years and I have owned a number of these cars and no longer give much thought to any of these concerns. I still take proper precautions and always wrap my cars in PPF, park in an end spot away from others, and try to avoid moronic drivers but **** still happens.

Just a couple of days ago a porter at the dealership hit the front of one of my cars and the bumper and fender will need to be repainted and PPF will need to be reapplied... I literally was upset for 30 seconds and then moved on with my day. The kid was terrified he would lose his job and instead of acting like an angry child, I took the opportunity to put the porter’s mind at ease and joke with him and the service manager. Life is too short to worry about this stuff or get all upset when something silly like this occurs.

Life happens and sometimes there is nothing you can do but suck it up and handle it like a professional. Do the best you can to protect yourself and take good care of your possessions but never allow them to own you.

There are very few things that can’t be fixed if damaged or bought again if lost.

This is great advice. At the end of the day these are all just possessions.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:21 AM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Great attitude.
Originally Posted by RossP
This is great advice. At the end of the day these are all just possessions.
Thanks guys. While it’s never fun to have something damaged, the way I look at is that the original front bumper PPF was getting a bit tired looking and now it will get repainted and freshly wrapped for free 🙂 Sucks not having the car for a few days but I’m blessed with other cars to play with in the meantime.

Another “fun” story was about 2 years ago an older lady with no insurance backed into one of my other vehicles in a parking lot. She just lost her husband and he was the one that took care of paying all of the bills each month, including the car insurance... Instead of taking this poor woman for whatever she probable had left, I just paid for it out of pocket and we stay in touch to this day. She actually just sent me a Thanksgiving card in the mail and before I moved from IL to CA, she would drop off a box of cookies at my house each Christmas lol...

The point is that these situations suck but if you own one of these cars, you probably have the means to make something right if it is damaged. I find situations like this are a good opportunity to usually interact with someone less fortunate than ourselves and show them that not everyone that owns a nice sports car is a total douchebag.

However, I realize these situations that I have mentioned are often the exception to the rule and there are a lot of a-holes out there that you will need to deal with accordingly. But if a little old lady happens to back into your GT3, go easy on her. There is usually more to that story 🙂
Old 11-22-2018, 10:55 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Thanks guys. While it’s never fun to have something damaged, the way I look at is that the original front bumper PPF was getting a bit tired looking and now it will get repainted and freshly wrapped for free 🙂 Sucks not having the car for a few days but I’m blessed with other cars to play with in the meantime.

Another “fun” story was about 2 years ago an older lady with no insurance backed into one of my other vehicles in a parking lot. She just lost her husband and he was the one that took care of paying all of the bills each month, including the car insurance... Instead of taking this poor woman for whatever she probable had left, I just paid for it out of pocket and we stay in touch to this day. She actually just sent me a Thanksgiving card in the mail and before I moved from IL to CA, she would drop off a box of cookies at my house each Christmas lol...

The point is that these situations suck but if you own one of these cars, you probably have the means to make something right if it is damaged. I find situations like this are a good opportunity to usually interact with someone less fortunate than ourselves and show them that not everyone that owns a nice sports car is a total douchebag.

However, I realize these situations that I have mentioned are often the exception to the rule and there are a lot of a-holes out there that you will need to deal with accordingly. But if a little old lady happens to back into your GT3, go easy on her. There is usually more to that story 🙂
That’s awesome. Hey, it could be anyone’s mom. I need to keep your conduct in mind in case it happens to me. I also feel like i am an ambassador of the brand when i am out driving. That includes when bad things happen. Well done!
Old 11-22-2018, 10:57 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by mclaudio
I’ve had those “phobias” in #1 condition hobby cars regardless of value or marque. My solution is to buy #2-#3 condition cars or quickly turn #1 to #2.

Drive/race, maintain, enjoy with others. Rinse, repeat.
Another great reason to drive the car. It gets easier with all of the above phobias.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,833 Likes on 2,390 Posts

it’s ok to drice in the rain and get dirty.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:11 PM
Marto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, paranoid...
Old 11-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Suntiger115
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It’s just a car

A very special car that I love I will give you that. I am a racer and a track guy. If you get a car, enjoy it, drive it that’s what was built for. I’m not gonna save all the miles for the next guy that buys the car.

Live your life one 9,000 RPM shift at a time.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:31 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 395 Posts

Was at the mall a couple days ago with my 997.2 3RS. I came out to get in the car and there was a guy there taking pictures of it. He is a car broker he said and couldn't believe that I was "driving" the car and couldn't believe I would park it in a normal parking spot! I laughed of course and told him cars are meant to drive, not look at. I don't own a 918 because I would probably feel like the OP. It's all about your pain and loss tolerance I guess.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:44 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 144 Posts

I think it's the first "incident" that hurts. I think whenever one spends real money, real money being relative to the individual, on something you want it to be pristine. However all things do wear. I have some nice (overpriced) shoes and a 1 nice watch. The first marring or scratch sucks but it's part of ownership with anything really. I never looked down on those who collect and just garage them. It's not me but it's what makes that person happy. Maybe it's a money thing. Maybe they just like perfect stuff. Different strokes......
Old 11-22-2018, 03:49 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 144 Posts

Personally I use mine.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:15 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Just went muddin' with my LaFerrari, parked it between two shopping karts, then laughed it away when a little old lady backed into it with her Buick. Paying $20k/month for it on a 72 month loan and live in my parents' basement. I bet I won this thread...

Quick Reply: Hard to enjoy exotic toys!