Hard to enjoy exotic toys!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 02:43 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by ByeEnzo
I have 55k miles on my 2005 FGT. Next year it goes in for a mechanical refresh, maybe paint. Rinse, repeat, and my estate will sell it when I'm gone. Same with the other stuff I own. And if I get bored with something, I sell it, making the best deal I can at that moment. Exotics are like artwork, you better like it in case it decreases in value. Or take the hit and move on if you've lost the passion, interest.
Would I park them just anywhere? No. But if you know the locale, restaurant valet, etc., you can take them out on the town. Or you can track the car, like I have.
What, are you saving your supermodel girlfriend for the next guy? I hate these depreciation and value threads.

EXACTLY !

Within 6 months of getting my 997RS, the value of the car had gone up significantly.... and I started reading all these threads on people pulling them out of tracking and even off the road because value had increased. Mooty was professing to just drive them, and he's pretty spot on with all these things. There were 2 others that posted - the first saying that they werent NOT going to drive their car so their kids could sell for $50K more when they die. The 2nd asked the supermodel girlfriend question, and whether you would choose not to drive her to save her for the next guy. I immediately went out for a drive.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:44 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by strettyend
Being the richest guy in the graveyard is overrated.
If you're in the graveyard with money you did something wrong.....I work hard not only for myself but for my kids....with such an uncertain future I want to leave them as comfortable as possible....
Old 11-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
If you're in the graveyard with money you did something wrong.....I work hard not only for myself but for my kids....with such an uncertain future I want to leave them as comfortable as possible....
I work hard for my Family but no way am I going to penny pinch Myself so my Son can sit on his *** in later years. I only have one Son/kid and he is well taken care of. He is 9 and has a good life and will never starve and if he is lucky I will die before I get to spend it all. But- I will provide all he needs to be successful but no free ride. Tough love is hard to come by these days but he will be better for it later. But fortunate that even at a young age he has a great heart and shares everything with his friends
Old 11-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

That's why I gave up on exotics and stick with Porsche and Audi.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
Is it me or does everyone that drive Exotic cars have the same fear
*Depreciation
*driving To many miles
*rock chips
*scared to park in a parking lot
I feel like this Ruins the experience, somedays I prefer my m3 just so I don’t have to worry about the car!
this is not a can I afford thread. I am very shrewd if I couldn’t afford the cars I have I would not have bought them!!!
If you can afford it, you don't worry about it. If you worry about it, you can't afford it. Simple as that.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:24 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ryantt
Move to the Bay Area (or LA)... tons of 911s and they are pedestrian. The “normies” can’t tell a GT3 RS from a base Carrera. You can go wherever you want and park where ever you want without fear. It’s the min reason I sold my Ferrari and threw all in with Porsche. Very liberating.
Strange, being one most expensive places on earth, driving an exotic car in the Bay Area is a major pain in the ***, especially in the East Bay.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by grendel88
Strange, being one most expensive places on earth, driving an exotic car in the Bay Area is a major pain in the ***, especially in the East Bay.
depends where. Peninsula is way different - McLarens and Ferraris saturate the area. East bay is another world in my mind
Old 11-21-2018, 07:38 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Norcalgt3

depends where. Peninsula is way different - McLarens and Ferraris saturate the area. East bay is another world in my mind
Million dollar houses everywhere in the Bay now...
Old 11-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I consider the $150k had been already burnt to the ground...)
Good mindset
Old 11-21-2018, 08:29 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
Zero worries with any of the OP's list, I ONLY worry about a strippers high heel tearing my leather seat or dash.
I like your answer.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:29 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by grendel88
becaue you have a wide income discrepancy. Homeless problem in the Bay Area is terrible.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:56 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I'm probably the poorest guy in here with the lowest net worth, So buying my used 2012 997..2 Turbo S was Huge for me. Financed a large portion of it.

So, for me, I do worry about parking it, someone crashing into me while I'm in it, or someone vandalizing it, BUT I'm NOT afraid to drive it. I've put almost 3500 miles on it since April of this year!! I bought a "Bucket List" car to enjoy it.

I unfortunately have to think about the value of my car & truck, given that I'm still paying on both of them and that I may have to / want to sell them someday, but I don't let it keep me up at night. Had I not been in a position to make the payments, I wouldn't have done it. I have equity in both with no other debt. besides my two houses, so I want to enjoy my rides.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:10 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

I worked my entire 20’s starting various businesses and at 28 I finally achieved a level of success that allowed me to purchase my first high end sports car. At first, I was terrified of all the things in the OP’s list.

Fast forward 5 years and I have owned a number of these cars and no longer give much thought to any of these concerns. I still take proper precautions and always wrap my cars in PPF, park in an end spot away from others, and try to avoid moronic drivers but **** still happens.

Just a couple of days ago a porter at the dealership hit the front of one of my cars and the bumper and fender will need to be repainted and PPF will need to be reapplied... I literally was upset for 30 seconds and then moved on with my day. The kid was terrified he would lose his job and instead of acting like an angry child, I took the opportunity to put the porter’s mind at ease and joke with him and the service manager. Life is too short to worry about this stuff or get all upset when something silly like this occurs.

Life happens and sometimes there is nothing you can do but suck it up and handle it like a professional. Do the best you can to protect yourself and take good care of your possessions but never allow them to own you.

There are very few things that can’t be fixed if damaged or bought again if lost.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:14 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
me too .... my father is still alive and I take care of him.... I don’t wanna be a burden on my kids and would like too leave them with as much money as I could!
Old 11-21-2018, 11:24 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If you can afford it, you don't worry about it. If you worry about it, you can't afford it. Simple as that.
not true ...

Quick Reply: Hard to enjoy exotic toys!