Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting dealer story

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 01:51 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

When my GT3 arrived (out of state dealer), I flew there to see the car. I watched as they did the PDI. I drove the car (salesman rode shotgun) to get fuel and then put about 10-15 miles on it down the highway before signing paperwork. Car had 11 miles on it if I remember correctly. They sometimes put more mileage on cars at the factory. But I've not heard of a dealership racking up test miles.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:52 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
120 miles? That's more than I drive in a year!
You can't be serious.

I average more than 120 miles every weekend.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:11 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I think the answer is quite obvious guys. The sales associate wanted a nice car to take his squaw to the holiday party. Of course it could be Ferrari. They would just turn the odometer back to zero after their playtime.

J
Old 11-20-2018, 08:12 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

this is hilarious. our PDI test loop is about 1.5 miles of 40mph road, basically circling the block to check on pdk, brakes, buttons, and basic alignment stuff. anyone putting more than 2-3 miles for a PDI/road safety test is on FULL ferris bueller.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:23 AM
goldberg
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Total BS.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:37 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
You can't be serious.
As a general rule, no.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:01 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

You are being probed to see how gullible you are. They are asking permission by way of rudely informing you that they will do it and are even scheming to do it well in advance. I bet the buyer feels like he is being set up - he needs to trust his spidey sense.

I look at this as a highly disrespectful act of turning your baby into a rental ***** .
Obviously during negotiations of price, they felt you out and determined you are a weak negotiator. Now they want the icing on the cake.

These are robust cars but since this a manual transmission there is a real danger of damage during break in miles when some yahoo realizes he only has 2 hours in your rental car and needs to experience it all - especially a 9000 rpm mis shift into an unexpected gear ....

Originally Posted by Gesler
120 miles!?

wonder if they are just trolling your friend and see what happens online
Originally Posted by Dr. Z
Maybe CJ will check this thread.....
Just to be clear...the car has not arrived so no one has had a chance to drive it....he is trying to prevent that from happening....
Stated another way, the fear is that the real deception is more clearly termed something like this:

"the sales staff do not have access to such a car, but we really would like to burn some of your rubber so we can get acquainted with the model at your expense. Since we gouged you heavily on the price, we think you're a weak enough negotiator where we can take additional advantage of you for our own personal fun and bragging rights. When we crash your car, we will repair it as quickly as possible without it being mentioned on CarFAx"

Did I capture the summary of your fears well?

Originally Posted by Dr. Z
My friend did respond to the SA via email this afternoon and told them not to drive the car even to get fuel. He also told him that he thought it was highly unusual that Porsche would authorize or ask the dealer to drive a highly optioned custom GT3 CXXX car (with a large deposit ) for a 120 mile test period. He asked for a contact at PCNA to speak to regarding this issue. He is going to call PCNA in the am to ask about the whole situation.
After the email...nothing but crickets......no response at all.....that in itself tells me that this was cooked up by someone at the dealership to just try and get to drive a GT3 for a while.
It is really insulting that these guys at the dealership think we are so very dumb to fall for a load of lies like this......if they are going to pull stunts like this I really question their service department also.....
Thanks for the replies and advice....
I will update the thread ......

Last edited by Perimeter; 11-20-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Dr. Z
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

YES...really not fears just facts....

Last edited by Dr. Z; 11-21-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:15 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
this is hilarious. our PDI test loop is about 1.5 miles of 40mph road, basically circling the block to check on pdk, brakes, buttons, and basic alignment stuff. anyone putting more than 2-3 miles for a PDI/road safety test is on FULL ferris bueller.
print this and show it to your dealer.
you may close thread now lol
Old 11-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Obviously the PDK applies to general full fleet testing, not his Touring.
My point is you can't mis-shift a PDK, but since this is the Touring and the buyer is dropping around $200k, then the buyer should have the right to mis-shift it. He has paid for that.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:30 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

120 miles is a hell of a lot for any legitimate test drive IMO. I would pull the DME report and check the RPM usage. Sounds like a joy ride to me.
Back in the old days every car was test driven at the factory, those days are long gone. I think that went out with the 996.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:50 AM
Bughunter
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A dealer joy-riding a customer car? I used to believe it would only happen with valet parking until;
- My car was returned with an extra 70 miles on it when I brought it in to check the brakes.
- My next car was returned with an extra 10 miles on it when it was brand new when I had the clear bra, tint treatment done at the dealer. And this after I explicitly told them to NOT drive it.

That last time I also had footage of my dashcam that showed them using my car to run an errand, had it sit idle for 45 minutes to make it more comfortable for the tech to drive from one bay to another in the FL heat. And one tech using a rag to wipe his sweat and then taking the same rag to hold the Alcantara steering wheel. The footage was only partial, because they disconnected the cam when it beeped on them, alerting them of its presence.

I do not trust them anymore than valets at this point...
Old 11-20-2018, 02:51 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 85 Posts

Do he ask to test out your GF or wife as well?
Old 11-20-2018, 09:46 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by konaforever
Do he ask to test out your GF or wife as well?
Only for 120 minutes.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:04 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Default Coke through nose on keyboard

Originally Posted by SToronto
Only for 120 minutes.
Oh my, that was hilarious!

Quick Reply: Interesting dealer story