991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard interior on GT3 Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Standard interior on GT3 Touring?

looks like I have a reasonable chance at a remaining GT3 allocation from my dealer. Without a GT3 my next was going to be a 911 S with a manual with pretty base options. I think standard interior may hold up better over time. My turbo is all leather of course and it’s got some nicks and scratches.

I thought the GT3 Touring only came in all leather but it looks like you can configure it with the standard interior anyway. Anyone done that? Is that a silly thing to do on an “upper” car like this?

I know is just a preference question and not a performance one, but I appreciate the comments.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by 99999
looks like I have a reasonable chance at a remaining GT3 allocation from my dealer. Without a GT3 my next was going to be a 911 S with a manual with pretty base options. I think standard interior may hold up better over time. My turbo is all leather of course and it’s got some nicks and scratches.

I thought the GT3 Touring only came in all leather but it looks like you can configure it with the standard interior anyway. Anyone done that? Is that a silly thing to do on an “upper” car like this?

I know is just a preference question and not a performance one, but I appreciate the comments.
It just feels wrong to spec a car like this with a cheap looking interior. Bring on the leather, Alcantara and carbon fiber.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:55 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

It just feels wrong to spec a car like this with a cheap looking interior. Bring on the leather, Alcantara and carbon fiber.
Just goes to show you different strokes for different folks and why it's great to have options

I have the standard interior on my 991.2 GT3 and spec'd it that way, felt like the standard interior matched better with the "racecar" ethos of the GT3 than the leather and stitching everywhere, but my car has the wing. I personally thought that the stitching and leather belonged in more GT style Turbo or Panamera, plus I just wipe down the door and dash with a damp t-shirt and good as new. No scratches or marks so far for me at 6k miles. But I know I am in the minority, I would bet most opted for full leather and/or want it if they are shopping used, especially on a 160k+ car. I put the 3k towards PCCB and said I'll call it even

Edit - oh and nothing silly about how you configure your car. Just configure it exactly how you want if you get an allocation, don't spec it for the next guy...
Old 11-18-2018, 03:08 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

There are more than a few GT3 touring with standard interior and that is what I ordered. Cormid, the mint one at PNH, mine, and at least one more I know of are even PTS touring with rubber dash.

One thing I personally like is the free leather dash/console trim with the standard interior as the black anodized aluminium does not carry over to the door with the standard interior and the leather matches the standard door panels better to my eyes.

My car just exited production, and I am still in my mind second guessing myself. I really wanted full black natural leather LTS, which on a C2 was $5600, plus wood trim ($2000), and wheel ($990), but would have been $30k+ on a GT3 and they would not CXX the steering wheel. One idea I had was to recreate the 1,000,000 911 with the full leather and free leather door/dash/console trim and then to techeqipment wood dash, wheel and ****. I have settled that I will be happy with the wood wheel (which I will de-multifunction) and the standard interior with leather trim (I recently saw a 991.1 C2 with a base interior and just the wood wheel and it looked good).
Old 11-18-2018, 03:18 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Just goes to show you different strokes for different folks and why it's great to have options

I have the standard interior on my 991.2 GT3 and spec'd it that way, felt like the standard interior matched better with the "racecar" ethos of the GT3 than the leather and stitching everywhere, but my car has the wing. I personally thought that the stitching and leather belonged in more GT style Turbo or Panamera, plus I just wipe down the door and dash with a damp t-shirt and good as new. No scratches or marks so far for me at 6k miles. But I know I am in the minority, I would bet most opted for full leather and/or want it if they are shopping used, especially on a 160k+ car. I put the 3k towards PCCB and said I'll call it even

Edit - oh and nothing silly about how you configure your car. Just configure it exactly how you want if you get an allocation, don't spec it for the next guy...
Exactly right, Sam. Your car. Spec the way you want it. No right or wrong way to do it.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:42 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

My Touring has the standard interior. I love it.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:15 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

I have been debating this as well, but finally decided on the full leather interior. Subjective call, but I wanted the brushed aluminum trim to flow from the dash to the doors.

The standard interior is of impressive quality and is not at all offensive to the touch. Saw my first Touring with it and was impressed. So much so, that I nearly removed the full leather from my build.

No bad choice. Matter of preference.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:55 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

I had the STD interior in my 2014 GT3 and honestly, it was not "cheap looking" ar all.

In rainy track days, I did not care driving with windows opened like I did with subsequent cars (with full leather)... food for thoughts
Old 11-18-2018, 08:11 PM
Racer

Really appreciate all the comments. Makes me feel pretty good about going either way. I much prefer the alcantara roofline to the standard, but would take standard everything else (add in carbon fiber). So can’t have it exactly the way I’d want it. No clear answer here, I’ll have to keep debating. Sure hope I get the allocation though. I think the 991.2 is a keeper, I have a 2019 Cayenne and although I love it for what it is, that digital dash isn’t going to age well in a sports car, IMO. I’m trying to grab a last chance at the analogue gauges, although that’s another topic entirely.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:14 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Standard interior has alcantara headliner, it just does not have alcantara a pillars.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:17 PM
Racer

Oh, thanks for that. Couldn’t tell from the online configuration site. Just saw the a pillars change.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:33 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Yup. I actually prefer the non-alcantara A pillars as I think they will hold up better.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:46 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by 99999

I've had both and, honestly, haven't missed the leather in the 911s with standard interior I've owned.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:04 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
I've had both and, honestly, haven't missed the leather in the 911s with standard interior I've owned.
Agreed. Currently one with and one without and I don't really miss it in the standard interior car.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:09 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

My GT3 I just sold had the standard interior. I hated it and at 150-200k, it looks amazingly cheap. Would never buy another one without the full leather ad. Again, to each their own.

Quick Reply: Standard interior on GT3 Touring?