Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard interior on GT3 Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 03:21 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not a fan of plastic in interiors on any car, let alone one close to $200k, so I'm speccing leather and alcantara as far as the eye can see.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:27 PM
toddjude
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris88
I have standard interior in my Touring and love it. For me, it fits the Touring.
Can you post a picture? I ordered the leather with cloth seat centers. Currently v250 going to v260 any day now so really doesn't matter but I would like to see what standard looks like.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:22 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't think you can go wrong either way. My GTS has the standard interior and I like it just fine. Nothing cheap feeling about it. My Touring on order is fully decked out. Extended leather package, including steering column and seat backs (18 way sofas) with yellow deviated stitching to complement the PCCBs.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:11 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

My 991S had standard interior and I felt it was quite cheap. Definitely easier to maintain but the leather, alcantara, carbon and deviated red stitching in my GT3 looks 100x better. It’s the first thing anyone who was in both my cars mentions when they get into the GT3.

I just feel a special car like this deserves a special feeling interior but I can also see not going this route especially if it’s a full time track toy.

Either way, go with what YOU like but if you are having any apprehension about the standard interior possibly feeling cheap, definitely go sit in a car at the local dealer first.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

The standard 991 interior looks like it belongs in a base Cayman - not a 150k+ GT3.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:07 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Two local delivery GT3s, one touring, both specced the standard interior.

It doesn't look bad, but it looks like it belongs in a ~$35,000 car, not a $150,000+ car. Appropriate for a company leased Audi A3, sure, or maybe your daughter's Jetta. Even in the base $90k Carrera it looks out of place.

IMO you don't really notice it at first. You're just mid-drive and kinda shocked when you realize that Porsche decides to fit plastic/rubber dash panels to their six figure luxury cars. However a Porsche guy would immediately notice that the trim doesn't extend to the doors.

Again it doesn't look bad per-se, but just like "wow for six figures this is all you get."
Old 11-20-2018, 04:59 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Touring for me is the gentlemen‘s GT3 or a daily drive.
I would not order that without leather interior.

I see the cars interior more than the outside, hence for me nice interior is more important than outside view. Outside should be harmonious but getting aftermarket wheels are no interest to me.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:11 PM
toddjude
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The standard 991 interior looks like it belongs in a base Cayman - not a 150k+ GT3.
i did get a cayman loaner for an oil change one and the interior did feel a bit cheap for a Porsche
Old 11-20-2018, 05:37 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by toddjude
i did get a cayman loaner for an oil change one and the interior did feel a bit cheap for a Porsche
It's the same story across the board with German manufacturers. Get in a BMW or Mercedes without leather (or with their fake leather) and it's a really depressing and cheap feeling place to be. A base Porsche interior is no better.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:15 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
It's the same story across the board with German manufacturers. Get in a BMW or Mercedes without leather (or with their fake leather) and it's a really depressing and cheap feeling place to be. A base Porsche interior is no better.
I drive a 2018 Audi S4 as a daily. It's got plastics everywhere and looks reasonably good and it doesn't depress me either. I wonder if it has something to do with the sub $60k MSRP which is much less than half the cost of a GT3...
Old 11-20-2018, 06:17 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 612 Likes on 342 Posts

Shocks me how gung ho people can be on leather interiors in the racecar part of this porsche forum. They could take the panels off the doors, remove the dashboard and not paint the car...I am still buying a GT because the point of this car has nothing to do with the interior or exterior paint. Pull your head out of the sand.

and yeah last gt3 we had (2007) had leather interior...No one who I gave a ride to was complimenting the interior. How do you guys drive these cars?
Old 11-20-2018, 06:23 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

I ordered mine with full leather, extended dashboard leather, and ac vents in leather. Looks very nice to see the leather in every surface. I also like that the full leather option comes with alcantera pillars and headliner. Sometimes I forget the extended top dashboard has leather, but the black stitching reminds me. I decided to compromise and get all the leather instead of full custom CXX seats since I was able to get the CXX Houndstooth seat inserts by themselves. Full leather and all the extras are not a deal breaker for any GT3, but I would have probably regretted not getting it after the fact, since my other GT3s always had full leather. But ultimately, if I had to prioritize, PCCBs, lwbs, and front lift are more important to me than full leather.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:23 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I had two hang ups with leather. One, I hate the hard finish Porsche leather. I find it cheap feeling/looking and natural leather is not available in a GT3 for anything like a reasonable price. Two, long term, the rubber/plastic stuff I think we be easier to maintain and look better in 25 years. Plus, spares should be easier to come by.

And yes, I’d be happy to have one with no interior.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:33 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by toddjude
Can you post a picture? I ordered the leather with cloth seat centers. Currently v250 going to v260 any day now so really doesn't matter but I would like to see what standard looks like.
This is the best photo I have of the interior.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:40 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
Shocks me how gung ho people can be on leather interiors in the racecar part of this porsche forum. They could take the panels off the doors, remove the dashboard and not paint the car...I am still buying a GT because the point of this car has nothing to do with the interior or exterior paint. Pull your head out of the sand.

and yeah last gt3 we had (2007) had leather interior...No one who I gave a ride to was complimenting the interior. How do you guys drive these cars?
Wrap your head around this...the GT3 isn't a race car

Quick Reply: Standard interior on GT3 Touring?