Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dundon "Weissach" Build on our 991.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 01:38 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Hey Jamie, The Carbon wheels look awesome and I hear you on the expected stiffness. One thing that surprises me is the weight. I would have expected them to be much lighter than 19 and 20 lbs. Thats heavier than a lot of the forged wheels, right?
Old 11-22-2018, 07:36 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Those Carbon Wheels are sick
Old 11-22-2018, 09:05 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

While I like the concept of carbon fiber wheels, several items:

1. In general, I am not overly fond of the current design of the Carbon Revolution wheels and that, currently, only one design is offered by Carbon Revolution (this, however, is personal preference only).

2. Are these first generation carbon wheels actually considerably lighter than, e.g., BBS forged magnesium wheels?;

3. While additional stiffness is certainly a plus in some operating conditions, in others it can be a minus.

4. My understanding is that, given the temperature tolerances of resin systems, if the spokes are not coated (i.e., as I believe the Carbon Revolution ones are in OE Ford applications), or have a heat shield protecting the spokes (i.e., as the first generation Porsche carbon fiber wheels for the Turbo) there could be heat issues in extreme track conditions.

5. I wonder as to how long various coatings last and the cost.

6. I believe that, given present material limitations, a wheel that has a carbon fiber barrel and magnesium spokes might be a better answer in several regards.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:38 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
Hey Jamie, The Carbon wheels look awesome and I hear you on the expected stiffness. One thing that surprises me is the weight. I would have expected them to be much lighter than 19 and 20 lbs. Thats heavier than a lot of the forged wheels, right?
Not sure if they're heavier than a lot of forged, wheels, but the important thing is the strength/stiffness of the wheel at that weight. If taken to an extreme a forged wheel at extreme lightness wouldn't support the weight of the car and would bend as soon as you put the car on the ground. This is the part that I was intrigued by. Most of the wheel industry and most consumers hear "light weight" and think better. And in some cases that's true, but reducing weight wantonly has a cost. That cost is typically strength...

Take a bit of time and read through this...

https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-rev...-fiber-wheels/

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Those Carbon Wheels are sick
cheers!

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
While I like the concept of carbon fiber wheels, several items:

1. In general, I am not overly fond of the current design of the Carbon Revolution wheels and that, currently, only one design is offered by Carbon Revolution (this, however, is personal preference only).

2. Are these first generation carbon wheels actually considerably lighter than, e.g., BBS forged magnesium wheels?;

3. While additional stiffness is certainly a plus in some operating conditions, in others it can be a minus.

4. My understanding is that, given the temperature tolerances of resin systems, if the spokes are not coated (i.e., as I believe the Carbon Revolution ones are in OE Ford applications), or have a heat shield protecting the spokes (i.e., as the first generation Porsche carbon fiber wheels for the Turbo) there could be heat issues in extreme track conditions.

5. I wonder as to how long various coatings last and the cost.

6. I believe that, given present material limitations, a wheel that has a carbon fiber barrel and magnesium spokes might be a better answer in several regards.
1. I agree, but on the car they look pretty good...
2. The Carbon Rev wheels are 10 years on the market and are now on the Ford GT, Ford GT350R and the Ferrari 488 Pista.
3. Keeping suspension geometry the same during cornering to me is a good thing and will allow less static camber, allowing more precise suspension setup, better tire wear and better braking and accelerative grip.
4. The wheels are ceramic coated on the interior.
5. Wheels have 2 year warranty and we'll see how it goes. This is why I buy and try before I sell...
6. When you make them, give me a call if the price is reasonable I'll try those too...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports

Last edited by Jamie@dundonmotorsports; 11-24-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:08 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Thank you but have no intention whatsoever of making wheels.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:06 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

[QUOTE=Jamie@dundonmotorsports;15449570]Not sure if they're heavier than a lot of forged, wheels, but the important thing is the strength/stiffness of the wheel at that weight. If taken to an extreme a forged wheel at extreme lightness wouldn't support the weight of the car and would bend as soon as you put the car on the ground. This is the part that I was intrigued by. Most of the wheel industry and most consumers here "light weight" and think better. And in some cases that's true, but reducing weight wantonly has a cost. That cost is typically strength...

Take a bit of time and read through this...

https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-rev...-fiber-wheels/

Thanks Jamie, agree on the sacrifice of going to light and losing strength/stiffness. Keep up the awesome research

Old 12-04-2018, 02:27 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

First reports:

Car isn't any louder to drive going all solid, the 991 chassis is quite amenable to solid bushings, only the slightest click when going from reverse to forward. Carbon Revolution wheels are quieter on the highway, and the AP Radical Brake package works flawlessly. Won't be able to give a full report until the next track day, which hopefully will be soon!

Quick Reply: Dundon "Weissach" Build on our 991.1 GT3