Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 03:47 PM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dumped my GT3 manual for my new love

feb 18

MY GT3 2018 manual first day impressions

This arrived today and I am a little unsure I have mixed feelings .

The car looks amazing, driving position and ergonomics are fantastic, the LWB seats are comfortable, I will get the adjusters for more rake .
100% need bolster protectors.
Started it up and I thought it lacked a bit of noise. I can see why people opt for a shark worx

Driving off I thought it's very compliant over bumps no different to my 997 Pdk turbo. Quite comfortable and not near as stiff as I thought . Considering this was to be a weekend only ca I was a bit disappointed as it could easily be a daily .
I also thought the gearing is too tall so bottom end torque is not that great, off the line it's not feeling at all a ballsy torque based engine.So around town it's an easy drive . I was hoping for a bit of a difficult car to drive with a heap of power , as in be careful with the power. Though really no need .

I would say the gears are to tall . when you get up in the rev range 1500 to 4000 equals nowhere . 5000-7000 is good torque from 7000 revs to 9000 the thing screams though lacks torque just screams , the down side is you are going too fast for the street. I found some back roads and gave it some and I found that the gears are a too tall , so 1st gear 100 kms second gear probably doing 160 kms per hour, so it's hard to use the motor wilth full range on the street .

Build quality is excellent and the car looks good.

My history with cars are mainly V8's or TT pDK so this one is not quite what I was expecting. It is a manual and the box is nice clutch is light and steering is good, direct . Car is planted .
Off tigh corners it will step out a bit .

Now I am of the belief warm the car up and then drive it so It been belted from 25kms on the clock . It free's up the engine. Car was too boring under 4000 revs.

Conclusion is , I need to spend more time in the car to make it work for me. So far I am a little disappointed however I can see why others love it. The cars looks fantastic and I love my options painted interior with full leather and LWB'a look fantasic

The final Conclusion Was I was not in love with it so I sold it after a week and ordered an AMG GTR

The car finally arrived today 10 month wait

I don’t know where to start , I’m in love !!
First impression is the stance, it looks wide and fat from front and rear .
The interior is actually a lovely finish with Alcantara gloss black centre consul with matte carbon , black leather with yellow stitch
The seat position for me is close to perfect I’m 6ft 4 and ordered bucket seats with yellow stitch
Start the car and the rumble is amazing, just fantastic.
The response to the pedal is instant with full torque at 1900 revs .
The most amazing thing for me was the turn in, for me it is more responsive than the GT3 . I think due to 4 wheel steer, car is quick to react and feels very nimble .
the build quality for me is Porsche good, I am really surprised . It’s a tank !!
The look of the matte silver and black wheels is also very pleasing.
When you push the go pedal while doing 20kms it’s instant and bloody fast. Turbo S fast.
It’s the car made for me . I love it and for value it speaks volumes . The back fire exhaust is addictive.
Then turn the car to comfort and it all slows down and is a really nice traffic cruiser .
This is the best car I have ever driven let alone owned . And this is all only on the way home from work in traffic .

Old 11-14-2018, 04:02 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Congrats on the AMG-GTR, its an amazing machine! Writing off the GT3 after only a week (presumably while you were still in the break-in period) is a bit harsh. However I believe the major culprit was the absence of low-end torque. Coming out of a 997.2TT PDK, where torque is plentiful down low from 2,000rpm through 7,000rpm, I can see how the NA GT3 might not immediately meet your expectations. You can't go wrong with either car...enjoy the AMG-GTR (sounds like you are). Care to post a pic of your departed GT3?
Old 11-14-2018, 04:07 PM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Congrats on the AMG-GTR, its an amazing machine! Writing off the GT3 after only a week (presumably while you were still in the break-in period) is a bit harsh. However I believe the major culprit was the absence of low-end torque. Coming out of a 997.2TT PDK, where torque is plentiful down low from 2,000rpm through 7,000rpm, I can see how the NA GT3 might not immediately meet your expectations. You can't go wrong with either car...enjoy the AMG-GTR (sounds like you are). Care to post a pic of your departed GT3?

this is the old one
Old 11-14-2018, 04:13 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34

this is the old one
That's a beautiful GT3!
Old 11-14-2018, 04:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Good luck with the AMG GTR. You have to go with what makes you happy. Bottom line.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:17 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

feb 18

MY GT3 2018 manual first day impressions

This arrived today and I am a little unsure I have mixed feelings .

The car looks amazing, driving position and ergonomics are fantastic, the LWB seats are comfortable, I will get the adjusters for more rake .
100% need bolster protectors.
Started it up and I thought it lacked a bit of noise. I can see why people opt for a shark worx

Driving off I thought it's very compliant over bumps no different to my 997 Pdk turbo. Quite comfortable and not near as stiff as I thought . Considering this was to be a weekend only ca I was a bit disappointed as it could easily be a daily .
I also thought the gearing is too tall so bottom end torque is not that great, off the line it's not feeling at all a ballsy torque based engine.So around town it's an easy drive . I was hoping for a bit of a difficult car to drive with a heap of power , as in be careful with the power. Though really no need .

I would say the gears are to tall . when you get up in the rev range 1500 to 4000 equals nowhere . 5000-7000 is good torque from 7000 revs to 9000 the thing screams though lacks torque just screams , the down side is you are going too fast for the street. I found some back roads and gave it some and I found that the gears are a too tall , so 1st gear 100 kms second gear probably doing 160 kms per hour, so it's hard to use the motor wilth full range on the street .

Build quality is excellent and the car looks good.

My history with cars are mainly V8's or TT pDK so this one is not quite what I was expecting. It is a manual and the box is nice clutch is light and steering is good, direct . Car is planted .
Off tigh corners it will step out a bit .

Now I am of the belief warm the car up and then drive it so It been belted from 25kms on the clock . It free's up the engine. Car was too boring under 4000 revs.

Conclusion is , I need to spend more time in the car to make it work for me. So far I am a little disappointed however I can see why others love it. The cars looks fantastic and I love my options painted interior with full leather and LWB'a look fantasic

The final Conclusion Was I was not in love with it so I sold it after a week and ordered an AMG GTR

The car finally arrived today 10 month wait

I don’t know where to start , I’m in love !!
First impression is the stance, it looks wide and fat from front and rear .
The interior is actually a lovely finish with Alcantara gloss black centre consul with matte carbon , black leather with yellow stitch
The seat position for me is close to perfect I’m 6ft 4 and ordered bucket seats with yellow stitch
Start the car and the rumble is amazing, just fantastic.
The response to the pedal is instant with full torque at 1900 revs .
The most amazing thing for me was the turn in, for me it is more responsive than the GT3 . I think due to 4 wheel steer, car is quick to react and feels very nimble .
the build quality for me is Porsche good, I am really surprised . It’s a tank !!
The look of the matte silver and black wheels is also very pleasing.
When you push the go pedal while doing 20kms it’s instant and bloody fast. Turbo S fast.
It’s the car made for me . I love it and for value it speaks volumes . The back fire exhaust is addictive.
Then turn the car to comfort and it all slows down and is a really nice traffic cruiser .
This is the best car I have ever driven let alone owned . And this is all only on the way home from work in traffic .
The GT3 has 4 wheel steer too

this is the old one
I would kick'd it out too

Can't go wrong with a GT! Enjoy.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:19 PM
SapphireGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not keep both? Agree on the torque, that is why I still love my 997 turbo 6 sp. I think the GT3 streeet driving flaws would be attributes on the track regarding the revs and it is lighter than the Benz. At the end, It's kinda the same logic why I kept my 991.1 RS, it feels "special" when I take it out and somewhat takcy and ridiculous for the street. Congrats..
Old 11-14-2018, 04:21 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

I also have the AMG GTR and a .2GT3 manual.

I agree that the AMG GTR is much better than the GT3 on the street. I find the GT3 boring and uninspiring below 4500 RPMs.

I just had the magicians at DME come to my garage and tune my GTR. The car is an outright monster now and complete lunacy,
which is hard to imagine because stock it was great.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:22 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Congrats on the AMG GTR. Recently had a go in one and they are great cars. Totally different driving dynamics. Both are great in different ways.

I also agree the main issue with the GT3 was probably the absence of low end torque that you have become used to in the Turbo and the V8’s. I personally enjoy having to work to extract the power out of these cars vs always having it available but I completely understand that may not fit the bill for everyone.

The important thing is that you found the car that makes you happy! It’s an awesome time to be an automotive enthusiast and with so many different options available, there is something for everyone
Old 11-14-2018, 04:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

this is the old one
Have any interior pics? Curious to see the painted trim in black.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:09 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Congrats on the GTR!
Sounds like you like torque and turbo so the Merc is for you. And you said it yourself “It is a tank!”
i would love to have both.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:16 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

That's interesting about the torque, because I was actually extremely pleasantly surprised by the amount of torque in my 991.2 GT3 with PDK. Maybe it's the PDK that lets me feel/extract it better (I always feel like manual cars feel less powerful for whatever reason), but I can jump from my modded/tuned 991.2 GTS with close to 500lb/ft of torque into my GT3 and the GT3 feels really damn quick. I originally sold my 991.1 GT3 partially because I was unhappy with the lack of torque, but so far the 991.2 GT3 feels like it has enough torque everywhere in the rev range and I have zero complaints. Yeah it's not a turbo car, but it pulls way stronger than the 991.1 and way stronger than I had expected.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:20 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

The AMG GT series of cars are one of the few FI platforms that I don’t mind. They sound great and lag is almost nonexistent.

However, for me nothing compares to the way the power builds in the GT3 and the 9k redline. But I am trying to convince the wife that she should swap for an AMG GTR once she gets tired of her TTRS lol
Old 11-14-2018, 05:22 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

They're entirely different machines and not everyone will be enamored with the GT3. Congrats on finding your car.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:27 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Congrats on the car - out of curiosity - how do you feel about the long hood while driving? I tested one of these, and felt the front end was just too massive

Quick Reply: Dumped my GT3 manual for my new love