Sponsored by:

Dumped my GT3 manual for my new love

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 04:40 PM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Good thing there is something for everyone.
Some want a German sports car.
Some want a German muscle car.
Have you driven the GTR? the GTr is a beast at the track. I own a GT3, 488, and GTR. We took all 3 with Sabine at SPA, I was afraid in the GT3, relaxed and intoxicated in the GTR and 488. The GT3 has an awesome sound in the 7-9000 rpm and love the car but I am not as fast as in the GTr. To start the front end in the GTr is not all over the place at 150Mph + but I love how I can just push out of the corner on the GT3. As for unreliability on the AMGs I also have 2 E63s wagons that I punish quite a bit and 18K miles in one and 25k on the other the few issues I had (a bad fuel line and ABS sensor) were addressed by the dealer, besides that tires, gas and oil.

Some people have their opinions made by others not based in facts,
Some people by have their opinions shaped by actual experience.

Just saying all 3 cars are AWESOME and those who put down one over the other without driving them more than a week are not giving a fair assessment.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:09 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34

AMG GTR does it all andgreat fun designed for the track though an absolute hoot on the street . Until you drive / own one you shouldn’t really offer a negative comment as the vast majority ( pretty much everyone ) that own both cars much prefer the GTR on the street. And those who track them
go faster than in a GT3.

Not at my track are the GTR's faster(BUT, that could just be the driver, I will admit that), and they definitely can't keep up the pace, brake fade pretty fast when driven hard,,,,,Bish will chime in on this and probably say" change the brake fluid and it will be fine". Heard that a 1000 tomes over on the MB forums. Race both on a track and see which one fades first and how long the GTR will need to cool down to go back out on the track. And, in a year, watch that price of the GTR just fade away just like its brakes..lol. Remember, this is a forum and I'm passionate about my GT3,and yes, have driven a GTR for 1 session on the track, for a heavy car it does have nice front end and balance, turn in is good.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:19 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

V8 > F6
Old 11-16-2018, 06:29 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
Not at my track are the GTR's faster(BUT, that could just be the driver, I will admit that), and they definitely can't keep up the pace, brake fade pretty fast when driven hard,,,,,Bish will chime in on this and probably say" change the brake fluid and it will be fine". Heard that a 1000 tomes over on the MB forums. Race both on a track and see which one fades first and how long the GTR will need to cool down to go back out on the track. And, in a year, watch that price of the GTR just fade away just like its brakes..lol. Remember, this is a forum and I'm passionate about my GT3,and yes, have driven a GTR for 1 session on the track, for a heavy car it does have nice front end and balance, turn in is good.
I have CCB on my GTR and have not experienced brake fade. I am not sure if that had to do with steels. I will say the standard brakes in all my GT3s have been excellent, but squeal like a pig. Even after bedding them properly. One of the main reasons I started optioning CCB on my GT3s.

You can only compare lap times with similar drivers. You think Hamilton will be slower in a GTR than you average driver in a GT3 at a track day?
Old 11-16-2018, 06:32 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
V8 > F6
V-12>V8>V6....there is always something more powerful with more horsepower and torque, but doesn't make it a better overall car.......
Old 11-16-2018, 07:08 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34
I am saying a GT3 is not a good car for the street and is really for a race track only. Otherwise it’s a total waste on the street unless you want to sound like a total **** 7500 revs 1st gear at speed limit everywhere.

I guess I'm a serious **** then lol... I think this is also depends greatly on where you live. Here in SoCal we have numerous canyon roads to take advantage of and there is a reason they are filled on the weekends with GT3's and GT3 RS's. Very few domestic or german muscle cars (I actually can't recall ever seeing one AMG GT in the canyons). However, I also don't see the GT3 being all that fun on the street if you live amongst the cornfields in the midwest where there are only straight/flat roads.

There are a number of factors to consider and there is no one size fits all solution. Everyone will have a different preference. Personally, I think everyone here has been pretty fair with their responses to your post considering this is the GT3 section on Rennlist. You had to expect some push back when posting this I'm sure mbworld or amggtforum would happily side with your POV.

Considering both cars are very close in price, it's a totally different type of buyer that would prefer the GTR over the GT3 and vice versa. These are enthusiasts who are looking for totally different experiences and that's fine. Porsche dealers aren't getting 10-30k ADM for no reason on these cars. This is an apples and oranges comparison and these are not cars that are often cross-shopped. Now if you dumped the GT3 for a 570s, I could see a better comparison and discussion being had. Not because the 570s is better than the GTR, but because the 570s shares more similarities with a GT3 (even though there are still many differences).

Both the GT3 and GTR are excellent choices. They are just polar opposite experiences so it's really tough to have a constructive discussion when comparing them if that's what you were after.

Last edited by phow; 11-16-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:58 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
What Bish will actually say is this:

Only the iron brakes on the GT Rs are known to fade on a road course. There have been no reports of brake fade on the car’s equipped with the CCMs that I can recall. Which btw I think are identical to Porsche PCCBs. If the iron brake shod cars had top of the line brake fluid and track oriented brake pads maybe they would last your average HPDE run session; but I tend to doubt it. There is a reason all of the AMG Academy GT Rs have CCMs.

In the middle of a KS summer, running the car as hard as I can in the Advanced run group, the car ran cool all day long. Never noticed any timing being pulled due to heat soak which is endemic in Z06s. Never once did I even come close to having to pit to allow the car to ‘cool off’.

I suspect that the same driver would be faster on many tracks in the GT R versus a 991.2 GT3, but a 991.2 RS would be a different ball game.

One thing: regardless of how differently they drive, I think that both cars are in fact ‘cross shopped’ if an owner is really interested in owning a street legal track weapon. Oh, and both are fantastic cars.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:15 AM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by thebishman
One thing: regardless of how differently they drive, I think that both cars are in fact ‘cross shopped’ if an owner is really interested in owning a street legal track weapon. Oh, and both are fantastic cars.
Maybe to a point. I would say if you are cross shopping a front engine FI V8 German muscle car and a rear engine NA flat six screamer, you don’t have a clue what you want.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:37 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by phow

Maybe to a point. I would say if you are cross shopping a front engine FI V8 German muscle car and a rear engine NA flat six screamer, you don’t have a clue what you want.
That is a clueless statement. You surely don’t know what a muscle car is, I have a few real “muscle cars” and they are nothing like my GTR or GT3s.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:43 AM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by fastmd

That is a clueless statement. You surely don’t know what a muscle car is, I have a few real “muscle cars” and they are nothing like my GTR or GT3s.
Never described the GT3 as a muscle car.

Most would agree that “German muscle car” is an appropriate description of most AMG products including the GTR.

I absolutely stand by the statement that the GTR and GT3 have very little in common other than that they both get around a track quickly. They are polar opposite experiences. Both are great but in different ways and are rarely cross shopped.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:32 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Mmmm not really. Depends on the buyer. I didn't set out knowing I wanted a Porsche. I just wanted a fun car with a little exotic blood mixed in. Started out considering an M2 or M4, but then quickly ran up the totem pole to F-Type, R8, Huracan, AMG GTR, and then ended up with a GT3. Was it because I didn't have a clue what I wanted? Maybe a little. Well hold on, I WANT all the cars. But I could only choose one. Out of all of them the GT3 just felt like the perfect fit.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:52 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
I didn't like the AMG GT because of the seating position and really long hood. It completely takes away from the driving experience for me.
Agree. I wanted to like it, but couldn't.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:28 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Most of us that love cars love all kinds of cars, and of course we're going to cross shop different types of cars since money and garage space is limited. I love my GT3 but I also cross shopped it with the AMG GTR, Performante, McLaren 570s, 911 TTS etc etc.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,788 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Silly to say that AMG and Porsche wouldn't be cross-shopped. I have both, and like both, in part because they have some similarities that appeal to me.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:37 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Mmmm not really. Depends on the buyer. I didn't set out knowing I wanted a Porsche. I just wanted a fun car with a little exotic blood mixed in. Started out considering an M2 or M4, but then quickly ran up the totem pole to F-Type, R8, Huracan, AMG GTR, and then ended up with a GT3. Was it because I didn't have a clue what I wanted? Maybe a little. Well hold on, I WANT all the cars. But I could only choose one. Out of all of them the GT3 just felt like the perfect fit.
That’s my point But I see that I was not very clear with my statement so I understand the confusion it may have caused.

When I say “cross shopped” I mean strongly considered to the point where you are having trouble deciding between the (2) options.

If you have ~200k to spend and don’t have any experience with cars in this price point, I would strongly recommend that you drive everything that you can because you don’t yet know what you like. You are still going through the education process and learning the differences that each platform has to offer. That is not my definition of cross shopping.

Someone that is strongly considering buying a GT3 or a 570s is cross shopping.

Someone that is driving every option between 100k and 200k to figure out their preference is still leaning and doesn’t yet know what they want

This is why I say if you have one car to buy and you are strongly considering a GTR or a GT3 to fill that spot, you probably don’t really know what your driving preference is yet since they are so different. This is not to say you shouldn’t own both, I think it would be awesome to have a GTR in my garage as well. But it’s not a GT3 replacement and vice versa.

Quick Reply: Dumped my GT3 manual for my new love