Sponsored by:

Dumped my GT3 manual for my new love

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 06:44 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Congrats on the car - out of curiosity - how do you feel about the long hood while driving? I tested one of these, and felt the front end was just too massive
Oh boy, then don't drive an SLS
Old 11-15-2018, 07:06 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I don’t understand the low torque argument here. I must either be used to driving slow cars or am crazy, but for a motor that revs to 9000 rpm, the throttle felt snappy and the car just gets up and goes! To each their own, but I’m surprised that after 1 week you decided to “dump” the car. You also put yourself on Porsche’s “no allocation for you” list because you flipped so quickly. Lastly, if future value matters, the GT3 will ascend (the NA + manual combo is more special and its produced in smal numbers) whereas the GTR will likely fall.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on AMG GTR. Seems like we don't see enough of these.

It's really silly but yeah the 4.0 does not really feel fast. Of course it is fast, but it's more deceptively quick. Feels like the amount of power a base Carrera should have.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:12 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigy
Congrats on AMG GTR. Seems like we don't see enough of these.

It's really silly but yeah the 4.0 does not really feel fast. Of course it is fast, but it's more deceptively quick. Feels like the amount of power a base Carrera should have.
Curious, do you have the manual or PDK? Maybe I'm weird but I've had a tuned 997.1TT, a tuned 991.2 GTS, a Huracan, and the 991.2 GT3 feels really quick to me.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:22 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by SB27
^^^^ What he said^^^^

I think the GT/GT-R long / low slung hood will not age well. In my view, and in the view of most of the local Ferrari guys (yes, they are also biased), it already looks dated and somewhat kitschy. The .2 GT3 obviously draws from more classic 911 lines that have aged well and will likely to continue to age well.

I also have to say that if you had ordered a PDK .2 GT3 you might have felt a bit differently. The manuals are awesome and give a superior/connected feel to the road. That said, the ability to hammer through lightning fast gear changes on full throttle all the way to 9k is just spectacular. You really don't fret much over "lost torque" when owning and driving the hell out of a PDK. You simply don't have time to notice it. The car just performs brilliantly.

Glad you are enjoying your new car. To each their own and good luck.
I have owned the .1 GT3 PDK, .2GT3 PDK, and currently have .2GT3 Manual and .1GT3 RS PDK.

It doesnt make a difference. The torque in the AMG GTR and the transmission are better. The new Ford GT is also using the same transmission.
Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
I don’t understand the low torque argument here. I must either be used to driving slow cars or am crazy, but for a motor that revs to 9000 rpm, the throttle felt snappy and the car just gets up and goes! To each their own, but I’m surprised that after 1 week you decided to “dump” the car. You also put yourself on Porsche’s “no allocation for you” list because you flipped so quickly. Lastly, if future value matters, the GT3 will ascend (the NA + manual combo is more special and its produced in smal numbers) whereas the GTR will likely fall.
Everyone is used to driving and prefer different cars. I can assure you that I am not on “no allocation list”. This .2 GT3 is no golden ticket and if you think this will be some future collector you are in a world of hurt. They made way to many. I still like my .2GT3, but the RS is better in my view .1 and .2.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:25 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34

its funny, because before I bought the GT3 there was no mention of lack of torque anywhere on any forum. I read everything in my 2 1/2 years of waiting and never anything negative . Best car ever bla bla

then I buy the car complain and everyone says, didn’t you know that they had no bottom end ... everyone knows that ... you b bought the wrong car

I dunno. It's sort of a known fact that GT3's are not big torque cars. The whole idea of a GT3 is that it's a driver's car that needs to be pushed to get the most out of it. That's the fun of these cars. What's the point of 9k revs if you don't get to use them?

IMHO, I'm not a fan of big HP/TQ cars. I find if a car's primary draw is the power it creates, it will become boring very quickly and you will either sell it or start down the modding path in an effort to recapture that feeling you had when you first got the vehicle. I found this especially true with the Nissan GTR crowd. When I had my R35 GTR, I couldn't fathom why people would mod those cars to 1000+ hp. It had more than enough power in stock form. And then I realized they were just chasing the HP/TQ high like it was a drug. This is what lead me to the Porsche camp in the first place. I wanted to have a car that was about the whole driving experience vs one aspect of that experience.

Again, different strokes and I'm glad you found what makes you happy! The AMG GTR is a beast of a car.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:05 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
Mind sending me some info as well? I am interested in tuning both my AMG GTR and Mclaren. I assume you tuned the Mclaren since you referenced needing to remove body parts to gain access to the ECU (they are in the rear wheel wells for some reason). Did you do any before and after dynos? Thanks
will send u a pm
Old 11-15-2018, 08:44 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
Same here. I found the 991.2 GT3 with PDK has just about right amount of torque below 3500 rpm and starts to take off above 5000. My previous GT4 definitely needs more low-end torque around town. My Shelby GT350 has more torque on paper but that thing feels like a pig below 4000 rpm. Maybe it is PDK doing the trick by seemingly keep the car in the right rev range.

Anyways, there is no comparison between GT3 and modern turbo cars in terms of torque. Just a personal preference. Enjoy the AMG!
Funny you say that about the GT350. I think I feel the same way. I don't feel blown away by the power or torque. Do Vettes feel the same way? Thinking of replacing the Shelby next year with GT4 (718) or air cooler or GT500.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:52 PM
porsche518
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Then I guess you have more in common with OP than you thought

He bought a Benz AMG GTR (V8 TT)
IMHO You have to satisfy Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. And I am satisfied...
Old 11-15-2018, 10:09 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IDK, I'm not saying the GTR is a bad car, but the style? It reminds me of Guy Fieri, like all lame flames and bowling shirts... No dis, Guy, you seem chill.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:11 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Old adage: Love is blind.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Nah dude, he's right- those cars are not tuned to have a ton of grunt off the line, like a muscle car. AMG has been building sophisticated muscle cars for years now, and doing it well. If you know motorcycles, the GT3 is more like a screaming 600 engine, and the AMGs are all more like the big liter bikes. Personally, I like a screamer, so the GT3 fits me well. I also like a Rolex and intelligent women. Some like an Omega White Side Of The Moon and trailer trash- That ish is fun as hell, but not for me.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:24 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack
Nah dude, he's right- those cars are not tuned to have a ton of grunt off the line, like a muscle car. AMG has been building sophisticated muscle cars for years now, and doing it well. If you know motorcycles, the GT3 is more like a screaming 600 engine, and the AMGs are all more like the big liter bikes. Personally, I like a screamer, so the GT3 fits me well. I also like a Rolex and intelligent women. Some like an Omega White Side Of The Moon and trailer trash- That ish is fun as hell, but not for me.
Hey, I have a Dark Side of the Moon lol. And a GT3
Old 11-15-2018, 10:36 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Don’t understand your watch analogy. How does that make any sense? I own many rolexes, AP, PP, Omega, IWC, JLC, FPJ, with many different cars. Are you implying people who own anything but a Rolex are like trailer trash? If so, one of the most ignorant posts I have read on RL in some time.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,738 Likes on 4,765 Posts

This might be one of the most ignorant things I've read recently on RL.

Quick Reply: Dumped my GT3 manual for my new love