Sponsored by:

Dumped my GT3 manual for my new love

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 11:08 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

Looks like a matte black compared to the OP’s gloss black?
Well afters seeing the pics of OP's car, I thought he was talking about the vent trim. But looks like all his trim is piano black. Mine is carbon fiber and my vent surrounds are just black (gloss). But looks matte in the photo.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:47 PM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Nothing to do with resale. Just didn't like the long hood of the GTR and there were a bunch of things I would have changed after getting the car that would have added another $20K to the price of the car. That, and the reliability issues that people were reporting AND the crappy attitude of most MB dealers and owners I encountered. Porsche has a much better community and dealer support. And I wanted more of a track toy than a German muscle car. If I could own both, sure. I'd take both. Hell, I'd have 40 cars if I could. But the GT3 just fits me better after seeing/driving both. Do I wish the GT3 had 500 lb-ft of torque to match its HP? Sure. But the gearing isn't an issue for me. And the lack of torque isn't either since I can put down better lap times on a track than some people in cars with way more torque. Torque isn't an issue on a race track. Only at stop lights.

there is is no question I thought the GT3 would have been amazing on track. Just amazing as the GT3would always be above 5000 revs. Jangle great and gearing probably perfect.
Issue for me was I had no inclination to track my car.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:00 PM
hayn911gt3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry for your loss.......

Enjoy the Benz......
Old 11-15-2018, 02:02 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34
I would say the gears are to tall . when you get up in the rev range 1500 to 4000 equals nowhere . 5000-7000 is good torque from 7000 revs to 9000 the thing screams though lacks torque just screams , the down side is you are going too fast for the street. I found some back roads and gave it some and I found that the gears are a too tall , so 1st gear 100 kms second gear probably doing 160 kms per hour, so it's hard to use the motor wilth full range on the street .
everyone i know who left a gt3 said the same thing since the beginning of time. if u need torque around town u got the wrong car lol
Congrats on the GTR
Old 11-15-2018, 02:34 PM
karter34
Advanced

Originally Posted by no401k
everyone i know who left a gt3 said the same thing since the beginning of time. if u need torque around town u got the wrong car lol
Congrats on the GTR

its funny, because before I bought the GT3 there was no mention of lack of torque anywhere on any forum. I read everything in my 2 1/2 years of waiting and never anything negative . Best car ever bla bla

then I buy the car complain and everyone says, didn’t you know that they had no bottom end ... everyone knows that ... you b bought the wrong car
Old 11-15-2018, 02:50 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

its funny, because before I bought the GT3 there was no mention of lack of torque anywhere on any forum. I read everything in my 2 1/2 years of waiting and never anything negative . Best car ever bla bla

then I buy the car complain and everyone says, didn’t you know that they had no bottom end ... everyone knows that ... you b bought the wrong car
Well you weren't on RL for 2 1/2 years or you could of asked and would have known, but 339 ft. lbs. should have been a clue?
Old 11-15-2018, 03:07 PM
karter34
Advanced

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
Well you weren't on RL for 2 1/2 years or you could of asked and would have known, but 339 ft. lbs. should have been a clue?
you are right the measly 339 should have given it away though it didn’t I am afraid . I was
all over RL and video’s the only issue was 991.1 motor exchange .
Anyway im waaaaaaayyy happier now.
The drivability of the Benz is unbelievable
Old 11-15-2018, 03:19 PM
sumbaco
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Despite what other say, the manual shift on the 991.2 GT3 isn't the best either. It's too light and doesn't self center to 3rd strongly enough. On my first acceleration going from 2nd to 3rd, I hit the gate between 3rd and 5th, just like I did on a Boxster S I drove, which also has a subpar shifter. Porsche has a habit of imprecise shifters that doesn't get enough attention. GT4, though, from what I remember, was great.

Engine sound, although prominent, still sounded filtered. I think the GT4 is closer to the 991.2 GT3 Manual than the PDK in experience. It's making me rethink the GT4 actually.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:28 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

If your goal is to go from red light to red light on New South Head road as you cruise through Double Bay as quickly as you can then the GTR is the right car vs the GT3.

Why didn't you buy a Tesla? 800+ torque. 🤣

​​​​​​
Old 11-15-2018, 03:33 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

To each their own. Glad you found a car that makes you happy. I agree that the GT3 lacks some low end torque and wish it had more, but it is still my favorite car on the market. I didn't like the AMG GT because of the seating position and really long hood. It completely takes away from the driving experience for me.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:35 PM
karter34
Advanced

Originally Posted by iphilips
If your goal is to go from red light to red light on New South Head road as you cruise through Double Bay as quickly as you can then the GTR is the right car vs the GT3.

Why didn't you buy a Tesla? 800+ torque. 🤣

​​​​​​

pretty sure the AMGGTR kills the GT3 on track
as well. However for double bay to Watson’s bay pub I’m sure it’s fantastic, I’m a northern besches bloke and drive though Mccars creek Rd in the mornings .” Epic” drive” to get to work .
Old 11-15-2018, 03:39 PM
karter34
Advanced

Originally Posted by drdonger
To each their own. Glad you found a car that makes you happy. I agree that the GT3 lacks some low end torque and wish it had more, but it is still my favorite car on the market. I didn't like the AMG GT because of the seating position and really long hood. It completely takes away from the driving experience for me.
i get it , though personally I love the long bonnet and driving position suits perfectly.
I have fixed buckets which makes a huuuuge difference to me .
Old 11-15-2018, 03:54 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

pretty sure the AMGGTR kills the GT3 on track
The GT R comes in 2 seconds faster than the 992.2 GT3 at Nürburgring (both on Sport Cup 2') - yes it's faster but, I wouldn't call it a killing But, I didn't mention track times and you didn't buy for track but, yes the GT R would be great for light for light drags and similar hooning.

But the Telsa would kill the GT R on a 0-60 .. just saying 2.9 vs 2.3 is a huge gap and if your goal is fast af between lights its a good fit.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:57 PM
karter34
Advanced

Originally Posted by iphilips
The GT R comes in 2 seconds faster than the 992.2 GT3 at Nürburgring (both on Sport Cup 2') - yes it's faster but, I wouldn't call it a killing But, I didn't mention track times and you didn't buy for track but, yes the GT R would be great for light for light drags and similar hooning.

But the Telsa would kill the GT R on a 0-60 .. just saying 2.9 vs 2.3 is a huge gap and if your goal is fast af between lights its a good fit.

no noise. I like the rumble - ALOT
Old 11-15-2018, 04:03 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd

i will send you a PM. They did a few of my cars. Can’t say enough good things about their service and quality of tunes and customer service.

They even brought the mechanic from my dealership to remove some body parts that was necessary to get to the ecu for one of my cars. He brought all his tools which was funny just watching the unloading. I had told them I have everything but they wanted to be sure.
Mind sending me some info as well? I am interested in tuning both my AMG GTR and Mclaren. I assume you tuned the Mclaren since you referenced needing to remove body parts to gain access to the ECU (they are in the rear wheel wells for some reason). Did you do any before and after dynos? Thanks

Quick Reply: Dumped my GT3 manual for my new love