Sponsored by:

Chris Harris crashes his GT3T

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 11:50 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Your logic gives me a headache. Maybe it has something to do with driving on the wrong side of the road.
Lol you and me both

Originally Posted by fxz
all aroumd european public roads you have to slow down in blind turn, either on the alps,

otherwise risking at any blind corner you might find a biker

ouch i was forgotting that maybe they don t have anymore european public roads after the brexit??
^^ this is really how it is most poms and europeans understand this, particularly in rural areas - during harvesting you may find a combine blocking a whole road.

General comment to all.
When you live over there, in a rural area you quickly get used to modifying your driving style e.g. blind corners = slow down.

Europe/UK of GB and NI have high populations densities way higher than the US or Aus - thus you have to modify your driving being cognisant of where you are and the conditions (population density of the US ~ is around 35 people per square km, Wales in contrast is ~150 people per square km) - this is particularly the case on rural B and C class roads.

Thus its not a question of blame, its a question of driving to the conditions and anticipation - with a blind corner, you have to anticipate e.g. biker on the wrong side of the road, broken down car, combine harvester, caravan, cyclists in group etc etc (all of this is absolutely possible)

The reality is he may well have totalled a $US200k car and the guy driving the ute will get a fine and a couple of points. Another scenario is he could have t-boned the guy in the truck, perhaps wiping him out. Would it matter if the other guy was in the wrong?

Chris is a classic townie, have fast car, go to play in the country and video it for money...............he could have, should have slowed down for the blind corner. Thats what the most basic defensive driving course would have taught e.g. the speed limit is not a challenge it is the upper legal marker if the conditions are appropriate.

Track tests for speed and handling, road tests for compliance and comfort - its not worth mixing the two up. keep in mind there are a lot of videos of Chris and many other journos bombing rural public roads in various parts of the UK GB and NI particularly in Wales and Scotland.

You see the ring really does have a purpose

Last edited by groundhog; 11-17-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:32 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

chris is a driver
GT3 is a car
a driver driving a car had an accident
this happens 50x a day every day literally everywhere
and we have 78 pages discussion.....
I am a driver I have a GT3, I almost had an accident driving home today reading and responding to this thread.....
whew, just missed that deer...
Old 11-17-2018, 01:39 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
chris is a driver
GT3 is a car
I am a driver I have a GT3, I almost had an accident driving home today reading and responding to this thread.....
Mooty in US you might kill a deers
driving here you most likely kill a human

lesson for eurodelivery fans...
Old 11-17-2018, 08:50 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by goldberg
Glad he wasnt hurt.
But from how he portrays himself on the videos, he was a much more humble person many years ago.

Now i just think he is a smug pompous ****** over the last few years.

Maybe, post this event, he will know like all of us he is not infallible.
Right On.
He goes for the superlative each time and just pegs my BS meter
Old 11-17-2018, 09:09 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I fail to understand how you can not be considered responsible for crashing into a large stationary object without some other circumstances contributing to the policeman's assessment... e.g. another car ran a red light, or you drove through an oil slick, or,... you are a celebrity.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:19 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree. Always travel at a speed where you can stop within your line of sight. So Chris was obviously going too fast as he couldn't do that when he saw stationary object.

Obviously don't do a 3-point turn near a blind corner either!
Old 11-18-2018, 12:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Mooty in US you might kill a deers
driving here you most likely kill a human

lesson for eurodelivery fans...
noted. killing human not good
Old 11-18-2018, 08:36 PM
StealthGT3
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
chris is a driver
GT3 is a car
I found the guy who ended up hitting that 🦌 deer.
Street meat has a new definition.....Thanksgiving dinner is just a roof rack away.

Attached Files
Old 11-18-2018, 09:15 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 11-19-2018, 07:08 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

A reminder that there can always be things stationary around blind corners. However if you take the approach that everyone will be driving expecting to have to come to a stop at the line of visibility so and set up a picnic in the middle of the road you are going to get into trouble........

I wonder people would be saying if it was a Nissan Mirca driven by a 75 year old lady had the accident, Dangerous place to turn, poor eye sight and slow responses ?
Old 11-19-2018, 10:42 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Lol you and me both

^^ this is really how it is most poms and europeans understand this, particularly in rural areas - during harvesting you may find a combine blocking a whole road.

General comment to all.
When you live over there, in a rural area you quickly get used to modifying your driving style e.g. blind corners = slow down.

I don't know what part of the UK you drive in, but most do not slow significantly for blind corners and if you slowed to the point you could stop the car, you'll most likely to get rear ended.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I don't know what part of the UK you drive in, but most do not slow significantly for blind corners and if you slowed to the point you could stop the car, you'll most likely to get rear ended.
I live and drive in UK. I think I drive where I could stop within my sight line. Constantly managing that alongside avoiding being rear-ended is a big part of what driving is about.

I can think of plenty of times when it's single track and very tight and blind where I go very slow and use horn. But most of the time I feel like I don't slow very much so maybe I couldn't stop as per Chris. Definitely going to think about it specifically next time I'm out in the country to see. I find it an interesting question.

One other nuance to this that I don't think has been mentioned yet: I often find I drive at a speed which is only just safe but risks being inconvenient to others and wondered if anyone else did the same. For example, I might go at a speed where I reckon I could safely stop by slamming everything on, scaring my passengers half to death and having any passer-by thinking I'm a dick. But not so fast that I couldn't stop within sight line if you see what I mean. I.e. sort of sounds from my description like I'm driving too fast but it's still obviously slower than Chris.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:30 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
I live and drive in UK. I think I drive where I could stop within my sight line. Constantly managing that alongside avoiding being rear-ended is a big part of what driving is about.

I can think of plenty of times when it's single track and very tight and blind where I go very slow and use horn. But most of the time I feel like I don't slow very much so maybe I couldn't stop as per Chris. Definitely going to think about it specifically next time I'm out in the country to see. I find it an interesting question.

One other nuance to this that I don't think has been mentioned yet: I often find I drive at a speed which is only just safe but risks being inconvenient to others and wondered if anyone else did the same. For example, I might go at a speed where I reckon I could safely stop by slamming everything on, scaring my passengers half to death and having any passer-by thinking I'm a dick. But not so fast that I couldn't stop within sight line if you see what I mean. I.e. sort of sounds from my description like I'm driving too fast but it's still obviously slower than Chris.
I agree its prudent to modify your speed and its required by the Highway Code as far as I remember, my point was this does seem to be common practice and certainly in the Cotswolds you have many A roads with 60mph speed limits and if you were to slow to the point of being able to stop for blind crest / turns, that in and of itself would create a dangerous situation. as you pointed out, its all about managing the risks.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:05 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
North Yorkshire (mainly)- the situations I mentioned are ones I have come across.

Depending on the time of year - you can be behind a caravan on what's essentially a one lane road (I have seen a caravan jackknifed across a road having attempted to drive into a field at the wrong angle), likewise cattle being moved between fields, likewise gangs of crazy bikers getting their jollies, likewise a group of cyclists.

On the moors or dales you have to be cognisant of sheep, black ice in dips and shaded corners (or water), ramblers and other vehicles. Other issues include fresh mud from tractors or gravel runs due to recent rainfall or leaf litter in corners through plantations.

Rural roads need to be treated with respect - if you don't they bite, one way or another as Chris found out.

The point being a little bit of smarts and situational awareness can go a long way. Public roads are not a play ground and in rural areas you have to be more vigilant not less. 😀

I doubt Chris is over the moon with the outcome and if he had is day I'm sure he would have approached that corner differently.

Im pretty sure most of us would rather not have an accident, than have one particularly if we could have avoided it by backing it off a bit.

Last edited by groundhog; 11-19-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:31 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

So Topgear uploads a Chris Harris 911 video a couple of days after he crashes one.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris crashes his GT3T