Sponsored by:

New to Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 05:29 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by n d

having a hard time understanding all the post for instance left muffler, center pipe etc ..... Porsche lingo!
gonna need to read a Porsche for dummies!
The OEM setup is headers with cats, side mufflers then a rear center muffler.

I would argue most common mod is to replace the rear center muffler with the rear bypass systems as mentioned above. GMG, Akra, Sharkwerks, BBi/GRP are common vendors.The side mufflers are retained in this setup so you can still run the exhaust valves and keep it in the "quiet" mode.

Second mod is to delete the side mufflers. You could do this separate of the rear bypass or in addition. If you delete the side mufflers and run a link pipe you drop a fair amount of weight off the rear of the car behind the rear wheels, but you also gain volume and lose the bypass valves for sound.

Last option is a complete system that includes headers, link pipes and rear muffler (not required). This options is like Dundon Motorsports headers or Akraprovic. There are other vendors who make this kind of setup.

One thing I would recommend you try first - remove the vacuum lines from the exhaust valves and cap them off. The valves will remain open full time this way and you will pick up a lot of sound. Try that and see how you like it since it is a free mod.

If you want more - as most have said - the rear delete is the most common method to change volume/sound.

Personally speaking - I would delete the side mufflers instead of the rear muffler for two reasons: 1) material weight savings and 2) the OEM rear muffler completes the gap between the lower diffuser panel and the rear bumper. I have to think not having the muffler in place would have an affect on aero under the car.

- Chris.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:14 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

you can get side muffler deletes with valves. i have them. My opinion, sounds better, cleaner, and the side mufflers are heavy
Old 11-10-2018, 09:46 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Press the gas pedal more ..
Old 11-11-2018, 02:13 PM
John Belk
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Some great advice has already been provided... There are many examples of various exhaust companies and configurations on YouTube...as a start search GT3 Exhaust. While not an exact sound replication, these videos can provide you with some ideas...
I’d also suggest you spend some time with your OEM configuration, while doing your due diligence by searching the many posts on Rennlist. There’s no rush, right?
Lasty, consider an aftermarket system you can fully interchange with OEM components and/or upgrade to at a future date. Some owners go through many exhaust iterations...
Congrats on your GT3 and best of luck....
JB
Old 11-11-2018, 03:45 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
he OEM rear muffler completes the gap between the lower diffuser panel and the rear bumper. I have to think not having the muffler in place would have an affect on aero under the car.
Interesting. I've not heard this potential unintended consequence mentioned before.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
Just bought a 991.2 gt3rs what’s the best way to make the exhaust louder. And does it void factory warranty?
right way: sharkwerks
my way: punch a few holes on the muffler, floor its, never lift.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:09 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

PM me if you decide on Sharkwerks....sold my GT3 and am selling my SW bypass
Old 11-12-2018, 01:35 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 53 Posts

Threw a GMG on yesterday and it made a world of difference! Can't go wrong with a Sharky or GMG, as others have said.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Just search for Money's exhaustive (no pun intended) exhaust trial & error journal on here! It should help you out with the various options or simply check out his youtube channel - Obsessed Garage. There are so many options and it will come down to your preference for how loud you want your car to be.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:00 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
PM me if you decide on Sharkwerks....sold my GT3 and am selling my SW bypass
interested

Quick Reply: New to Porsche