Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Tires for Seattle Winters
Bridgestone RE980AS (ultra high-performance all-season)
38.89%
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (we all know and love these!)
61.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

GT3 Touring in Seattle's winters, which tires would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 04:57 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Default GT3 Touring in Seattle's winters, which tires would you choose?

check the poll!

Bridgestone RE980AS, high-performance all-seasons are now available in our sizes. The safer, more practical option but would I regret the difference in performance and feel as compared to, say, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S? I will admittedly be trading daily-driving duty with a Golf so the GT3 will be staying home in inclement weather. Mostly considering the ability to drive reasonably in moderate rain and cold (down to the low 40s).
Old 11-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Curious as well...I'm currently weighing the same options to replace the PSS on my Mercedes. It doesn't see ice or snow either, but thinking the Bridgestones will be more quiet and comfortable than the PS4S without too much loss in handling.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:16 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

My bridgestones just showed up at my dealer. Not easy to come by the rears at the moment as tirerack has no stock, found a distributor out of Florida with a set so I got them now even though my car won’t be there until next month.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:18 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij
My bridgestones just showed up at my dealer. Not easy to come by the rears at the moment as tirerack has no stock, found a distributor out of Florida with a set so I got them now even though my car won’t be there until next month.
I love the proactiveness.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:57 PM
typicaltrabes
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used to drive on PSS tires in the winter in NY. If it was anywhere near freezing the tires had no grip. I was fine 99% of the time. Until i need to stop in a hurry once and the car didn't have the traction to slow down.

All seasons in a place where a mild winter is normal should be fine. Anywhere where you see snow on occasion I would have a dedicated winter tire.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:00 PM
aruisdante
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the question you need to ask yourself is, how likely are you actually to drive the car in bad weather when you have an alternative?

I daily my GT3 in Pittsburgh (and will continue to do so until my girlfriend gets her new car and I can take her old one as my winter beater). It's averaging low 50*'s to high 40*'s right now. The Sport Maxx Race 2's certainly aren't happy (1st gear is pretty much useless), but they still function well enough once they get some heat into them.

Do you really think you'll drive the car on a rainy, 40* Seattle winter afternoon when you have an alternative? Do you think that probability is high enough to justify the cost and hassle (and risk of damage) of swapping all-season rubber onto the rims, or buying a $5,500 set of Turbo S rims to go with the winter rubber, itself likely a $1500+ investment?

If in reality you're actually going to only drive it on the odd 50-55* sunny winter weekend, then you can probably save yourself quite a bit of coin and hassle by skipping winter rubber altogether.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:40 PM
box986
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

What part of Seattle? If you daily drive the car and live near the foothills on the east side you willl need something more the the PS4S.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:18 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

I live in Seattle proper so the stories I've heard of the east side foothills I luckily don't have to deal with

I've already got a second set of rims in the works (a whole 'nother topic but let's just say once I saw the 991 Speedster Concept car, I wanted those wheels...) and figured a set of rubber that was a bit more capable in our winter months seemed reasonable to explore. Again, the choices are between great summer tires that aren't the Cup 2s or great all-seasons. When I had my Turbo S, I drove it all the time in the winter and would want to be able to do the same in the Touring.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm happy to give your non-Seattle worthy tires a good home in Atlanta. I'm always looking for cheap tires to beat on the track....year round down here.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:23 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
I'm happy to give your non-Seattle worthy tires a good home in Atlanta. I'm always looking for cheap tires to beat on the track....year round down here.
These are for a second set of wheels, so keeping the Cup 2s with the OEM rims
Old 11-07-2018, 09:50 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Michelin PS4S are not winter tires. They are terrible below 40 and are barely serviceable in the low 40s. Not sure how cold it gets there but if you have 2 sets of wheels, I’d recommend a winter set and a summer set. The all season idea sounds good in theory, but in practice it’s a compromise in both the cold and hot weather. Just be careful if it gets cold.....
Old 11-07-2018, 11:32 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Did you put the OZ wheels on yet wmond? I bet they look good on the red car. I don’t plan to drive in snow or salt and wanted all seasons for the occasional rain storm, but if you want to keep Summers for summers, it makes a lot of sense to get dedicated winters over all seasons, but for just rain (no ice or snow), all seasons should be fine. I have never had 4S to know, but I have never been ok with summer tires.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:32 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I decided to go with the Bridgestone 980AS myself. Having them mounted on the stock wheels tomorrow. Here was my thinking:

1) No one makes a dedicated set of winter tires that will fit the stock .2 GT3 wheels. You can find the sottozero 3s in 305 for the rears, but unfortunately they aren't available in the 245 size for the fronts. Sottozero 2s are available in 245, but not in 305. Mixing tires is not advised. Some people here have gotten away with using 295s on the rear 12 inch wheels, but others have advised against doing so, claiming that 295 is far too narrow for a 12 inch wheel. My dealer wouldn't install 295s on the rear saying that they were out of spec

2) I have no plans to drive in snow and probably not even in rain, but wanted something with more suitable rubber for the cold sunny winter days here in NY. The Sport Cup 2s would obviously not cut it

3) Didn't want to get another set of wheels. Considered the Turbo S winter wheel set but the $8k cost turned me off.

Don't know if it is true but someone posted in another thread that if you don't plan to drive in snow and rain, that all seasons are actually better than dedicated winter tires because the sipes in the winter tires (for providing snow traction) actually impair performance when it is cold but dry. Can anyone verify?

One note on the Bridgestones; talk to Damon at tirerack and get on their list now. Availability seems to be a challenge with these tires in the 305 size.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:02 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

After reading as much as I could find, and via process of elimination of what fits w/o stretching boundaries, I just ordered the Michelin PA4s in OEM winter sizes and a set of Oz Ultraleggeras mimicking the Turbo S wheel sizing front and rears (Oz rears have a slightly different offset).

What frustrated me in the search is the generalizations on temperature ranges. Nobody seems to state with clarity an upper level of useful temperature range for Winters. Lower temp stuff is stated pretty clearly indeed for the Sport Cup 2... Why not give an upper temp range for the winters?

I am likely to be in a wide range of temps over the winter, and know that some of that will be way below Sport Cup 2s, and even Super Sports (from experience) -- and assume the PS4s will be close that level of hard and slippery in colder temps.

Special thanks to 1963SWC and Evilfij for the oh-so-important question of whether the Oz center lock trim rings are interchangeable in colors. ;-)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:14 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
After reading as much as I could find, and via process of elimination of what fits w/o stretching boundaries, I just ordered the Michelin PA4s in OEM winter sizes and a set of Oz Ultraleggeras mimicking the Turbo S wheel sizing front and rears (Oz rears have a slightly different offset).

What frustrated me in the search is the generalizations on temperature ranges. Nobody seems to state with clarity an upper level of useful temperature range for Winters. Lower temp stuff is stated pretty clearly indeed for the Sport Cup 2... Why not give an upper temp range for the winters?

I am likely to be in a wide range of temps over the winter, and know that some of that will be way below Sport Cup 2s, and even Super Sports (from experience) -- and assume the PS4s will be close that level of hard and slippery in colder temps.

Special thanks to 1963SWC and Evilfij for the oh-so-important question of whether the Oz center lock trim rings are interchangeable in colors. ;-)
Haha, I was wondering about the OZ centerlock trim colors as well but was too afraid to ask. So how do you change those out and where do you buy the alternate colors?

Quick Reply: GT3 Touring in Seattle's winters, which tires would you choose?