Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another "buying out of state and now no title in sight after xyz days" dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 06:08 PM
driIve
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Yet another "buying out of state and now no title in sight after xyz days" dilemma...

Take action or be (more) patient??

I bought a .1 GT3 from a well known dealer off the RL marketplace. Being first time buying out of state and unseen, I did my research and found one of the biggest issues being buyers having difficulties getting the title in hand after purchase. I inquired the dealer regarding this and he assured me that they do 60% of their transactions out of state and this WILL NOT be a problem. Everything else went smoothly and I wired cash in full middle of September and had the car delivered cross country a week later. I was told it takes up to 30 days for me to receive all paperwork and we'll be good to go. I followed up 3 weeks after payment on the process (it takes weeks to get DMV appointment in CA so I wanted to be prepared) and I was assured everything was on track. I followed up after the 30 days and now the fun begins. My salesman told me there might be an issue with the title (as in, they DON'T have the title, never did), wiped his hands, and referred me to the title clerk lady. Lady told me well they are waiting on the title from the previous owner's bank (keep in mind at this point I've paid for the car in full 30 days, and the dealer "supposedly" owned the car weeks before that), there are some electronic title issue, and she will file duplicate title and the process takes another 10 days or so. I said OK my temp registration will expire and she assured me she will get a new temp plate out to me without lapse. I took her word and waited another two weeks or so. My temp plate expired two days ago, no word. I called her this morning to follow up, and after putting me on hold and shuffling some papers around she said I would get a new temp plate this evening, on top of that she said they were waiting for the title from the previous owner, but he couldn't find it so they have to start all over and it'll be another 4-6 weeks. I reminded her of our previous conversation. She then made some calls and got back to me that oh it'll actually take another 7-10 days only to process whatever is going on. It just feels like the story keeps changing and I'm doing the legwork of trying to keep on top of things.

Per Ohio state law the used car dealer has up to 40 days after purchase to deliver the title, if dealer fails to do so on or before 40th day the customer is entitled to get a full refund and the state attorney general will deal with the dealer. It's been more than 40 days.
https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...-Recision-Fund

I do love the car and I'm trying to be patient. But the fact the dealer keeps telling me another xyz days and the story (in my opinion) keeps changing is starting to really irritate me. I've written glowing 5 star reviews for the dealer and my salesperson up to now but man, I'm starting to feel being jerked around.

I left message for GM and text my salesperson. NO RESPONSE.

Keep waiting or consider other options?

Old 11-06-2018, 06:18 PM
RLNTL3S

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow this sucks... so sorry to hear about this.

How long ago have you left word with the GM?
Old 11-06-2018, 06:26 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I'd file a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General's office as specified in your link.
If nothing else, that will light a fire under their ***.
No excuse for this sort of crap.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:27 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

My experience as well with my 50th. Got the title 5 weeks after purchase. I just thank my lucky stars I got it at all.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

If you are in CA, I hope that you have already registered the car and paid all the fees and taxes, even without the title, or you're going to face some penalties. I had a similar issue with a Texas dealer shipping a car to me and IIRC they wound up paying about $500 in penalties due to their screw up with the titling.

IMO, you have two choices. Return the car and demand your money back or given them an ultimatum with a specific drop dead date and require them to pay you for every day the car is out of registration and undrivable by you.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:37 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Be patient.....
Old 11-06-2018, 06:39 PM
driIve
Instructor

Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
Wow this sucks... so sorry to hear about this.

How long ago have you left word with the GM?
Just this morning, I've been trying to be patient and not raise hell, so far...

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I'd file a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General's office as specified in your link.
I'm about to, this is all new to me that's why I posted here genuinely asking for opinions. I don't know if I'd be overacting etc..

Originally Posted by points
My experience as well with my 50th. Got the title 5 weeks after purchase. I just thank my lucky stars I got it at all.
It's been 6 weeks for me now. What's most concerning is they've never had the title, I believe it is technically illegal in most states to sell cars without actual title in hand. I am a first time out of state buyer and never had this issue buying in person of course.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:42 PM
driIve
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If you are in CA, I hope that you have already registered the car and paid all the fees and taxes, even without the title, or you're going to face some penalties. I had a similar issue with a Texas dealer shipping a car to me and IIRC they wound up paying about $500 in penalties due to their screw up with the titling.

IMO, you have two choices. Return the car and demand your money back or given them an ultimatum with a specific drop dead date and require them to pay you for every day the car is out of registration and undrivable by you.
I don't understand. I can't register a car without a title, correct? I did pay Ohio sales tax ($11K in this case, almost equivalent to CA).
Old 11-06-2018, 06:49 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
This...

+ you may want to start naming names here... (dealer + employees) and get RL people to chime in and share experiences... who knows, maybe the dealer has some bad history...or you will find someone who may be able to help you with them... I think you were too patient already. You need to make yourself a priority for them ... and right now you are just someone who is nice, patient and understanding... but not a priority.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by driIve
I don't understand. I can't register a car without a title, correct? I did pay Ohio sales tax ($11K in this case, almost equivalent to CA).
If you are a California resident buying a car from out of State you have 20 days to register the car in the State and pay the sales tax and registration fees to CA. You can prepay the fees while waiting on the title in order to avoid penalties. And if the dealer collected tax in Ohio, I believe that it needs to be remitted by that State to the State of California on your behalf, or you're going to get charged twice for sales tax.

Oh and you need to get both a smog certificate and VIN verification done in CA before you register the car, as the DMV will need that paperwork. AAA can now do the VIN verification if you're a member.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:02 PM
driIve
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If you are a California resident buying a car from out of State you have 20 days to register the car in the State and pay the sales tax and registration fees to CA. You can prepay the fees while waiting on the title in order to avoid penalties. And if the dealer collected tax in Ohio, I believe that it needs to be remitted by that State to the State of California on your behalf, or you're going to get charged twice for sales tax.

Oh and you need to get both a smog certificate and VIN verification done in CA before you register the car, as the DMV will need that paperwork. AAA can now do the VIN verification if you're a member.
OK I'll look into this, didn't know about the 20 days. I got the SMOG but no the VIN done, I planned to have a company do the registration for me VS spending all day at DMV (no appointments available until December anywhere in SoCal). The Service said I will need a notarized letter from dealer stating I paid Ohio taxes.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:05 PM
driIve
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
This...

+ you may want to start naming names here... (dealer + employees) and get RL people to chime in and share experiences... who knows, maybe the dealer has some bad history...or you will find someone who may be able to help you with them... I think you were too patient already. You need to make yourself a priority for them ... and right now you are just someone who is nice, patient and understanding... but not a priority.
Thanks, hard to gauge what actions to take when it's first time. I'm usually put my foot down type of person but have chosen to be patient in this case. You are right though squeaky wheel gets the grease...
Old 11-06-2018, 07:26 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

You don't need the title to register the car in CA. SMOG + VIN verification is all you need. SMOG takes 15 minutes at any test location. VIN verification is easy as well. Don't need an appointment at the DMV. Just go to DMV with car, pull into the VIN verification lane outside and someone walks out and checks your VIN and paperwork (tell them you don't have title, car is from out of state). That's it. Done. Takes 5 minutes. Send paperwork you get from SMOG and VIN verification to your dealer out of state and they will do the rest. Title will arrive a month or two later.

If I remember correctly, CA does electronic title? I think I just got some sort of receipt or something showing the car is titled. But it's not some fancy certificate like what I had on my previous car in another state.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:48 PM
driIve
Instructor

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
You don't need the title to register the car in CA. SMOG + VIN verification is all you need. SMOG takes 15 minutes at any test location. VIN verification is easy as well. Don't need an appointment at the DMV. Just go to DMV with car, pull into the VIN verification lane outside and someone walks out and checks your VIN and paperwork (tell them you don't have title, car is from out of state). That's it. Done. Takes 5 minutes. Send paperwork you get from SMOG and VIN verification to your dealer out of state and they will do the rest. Title will arrive a month or two later.

If I remember correctly, CA does electronic title? I think I just got some sort of receipt or something showing the car is titled. But it's not some fancy certificate like what I had on my previous car in another state.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...sts/outofstate
Per DMV website need out of state title or registration (I have neither).
How do you show proof of ownership without a title?

Old 11-06-2018, 07:49 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 607 Posts

if you are a resident of California, why did you pay Ohio sales tax ??? that does not sound right

Quick Reply: Yet another "buying out of state and now no title in sight after xyz days" dilemma...