Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another "buying out of state and now no title in sight after xyz days" dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:53 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by driIve
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...sts/outofstate
Per DMV website need out of state title or registration (I have neither).
How do you show proof of ownership without a title?
Do you see my avatar? That's a 2018 GT3. I bought it a few months ago from an out-of-state dealer. I went through this process. You don't need the title. Just go to the DMV and do VIN verification. Show them whatever paperwork you have from the dealer (wire transfer receipt, sales contract, etc.). That's all you need. The dealer will do the registration for you and then title arrives in the mail after you get your plates.

EDIT:
Wait this is a used car? Might be different in that case. Used car should have a title. It's been registered already. This sounds like a slightly different scenario...
Old 11-06-2018, 08:18 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

I bought my GT3 new from NY and destination (unfortunately in this case) was CA. Took me quite awhile to get my title and reg done between miscues from the dealership and third party service that they use to handle out of state title & reg, issues with my VIN verification, etc. Stayed on top of my SA and eventually got everything done. My advice would be to keep pressure on and start exploring other avenues to light the fire under their a$$e$ while still realizing it can take a bit of time. They also over charged me for my sales tax & registration (which conveniently no one caught but me) and so I was due a refund of nearly $2k which I just received FWIW. Make sure all the numbers add up correctly from both the DMV side and what you paid the dealer

I did get a physical CA title mailed to me (not electronic) as well as my reg
Old 11-06-2018, 08:26 PM
driIve
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Do you see my avatar? That's a 2018 GT3. I bought it a few months ago from an out-of-state dealer. I went through this process. You don't need the title. Just go to the DMV and do VIN verification. Show them whatever paperwork you have from the dealer (wire transfer receipt, sales contract, etc.). That's all you need. The dealer will do the registration for you and then title arrives in the mail after you get your plates.

EDIT:
Wait this is a used car? Might be different in that case. Used car should have a title. It's been registered already. This sounds like a slightly different scenario...
CORRECT. My case is change of ownership which requires title. Thank you though for your help, I totally wish it's just 5 mins at the DMV VIN line...

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I bought my GT3 new from NY and destination (unfortunately in this case) was CA. Took me quite awhile to get my title and reg done between miscues from the dealership and third party service that they use to handle out of state title & reg, issues with my VIN verification, etc. Stayed on top of my SA and eventually got everything done. My advice would be to keep pressure on and start exploring other avenues to light the fire under their a$$e$ while still realizing it can take a bit of time. They also over charged me for my sales tax & registration (which conveniently no one caught but me) and so I was due a refund of nearly $2k which I just received FWIW. Make sure all the numbers add up correctly from both the DMV side and what you paid the dealer

I did get a physical CA title mailed to me (not electronic) as well as my reg
Thank you. This thread has been helpful, I just filed a complaint. I plan to see this through and understand it'll just take (more) time, but realize more pressure can help.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:28 PM
driIve
Instructor

Originally Posted by pitt911
if you are a resident of California, why did you pay Ohio sales tax ??? that does not sound right
OH and CA are reciprocate (not sure if right term) states, it is totally legit to pay sales tax there and have it credited here. I had to look it up to.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:47 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

CORRECT. My case is change of ownership which requires title. Thank you though for your help, I totally wish it's just 5 mins at the DMV VIN line...
VIN verification is the same either way. It really only took me 5 minutes. You don't even have to leave your car. Just pull up, someone comes out to you, they look at your VIN number, and hand you a piece of paper. That's it. No appointment needed. This was at very busy DMV as well. People were lined up out the door and through the parking lot. But nobody waiting for VIN verification.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:05 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Welcome to the club. Took 3 months in 2016 for plates to come for the 2015 GT3. Got them just in time to lock the car in the garage for the winter.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:12 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

What's the rush for plates/registration anyway? Takes 3 months to get plates... so what?
Old 11-07-2018, 12:42 PM
gt3.997
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

if you live in an area with a very busy DMV and you are a AAA customer, you can go to one of their branches that offer DMV service and have them do VIN verification as well. For me, i chose to do that because even with axle lift, the entrance to the DMV was going to be a challenge.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:24 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Per Ohio state law the used car dealer has up to 40 days after purchase to deliver the title, if dealer fails to do so on or before 40th day the customer is entitled to get a full refund and the state attorney general will deal with the dealer. It's been more than 40 days.
https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...-Recision-Fund

I do love the car and I'm trying to be patient. But the fact the dealer keeps telling me another xyz days and the story (in my opinion) keeps changing is starting to really irritate me. I've written glowing 5 star reviews for the dealer and my salesperson up to now but man, I'm starting to feel being jerked around.
There's your answer....return the car and get your money back....
Old 11-07-2018, 03:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

What's the rush for plates/registration anyway? Takes 3 months to get plates... so what?
Its not just waiting for plates. His car is unregistered in the State.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:48 PM
driIve
Instructor

Originally Posted by gt3.997
if you live in an area with a very busy DMV and you are a AAA customer, you can go to one of their branches that offer DMV service and have them do VIN verification as well. For me, i chose to do that because even with axle lift, the entrance to the DMV was going to be a challenge.
Yea I'm going to use a third party service, they charge $40 bucks or so and can process everything including VIN verification on the spot.

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Also just being told different stories and timeline continuously, after paid in full of course. If they said up front oh we don't actually have the title and it'll take 3 months would that be OK, then I would have no beef here.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:52 PM
RLNTL3S

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Any response today from the GM?
Old 11-07-2018, 04:50 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Why is that the end of the world? My registration showed up with my plates. You can still drive the car...
Old 11-07-2018, 04:55 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

hmmm...i bought out of state unseen several times in CA. Generally it's very quick to receive the title if you pay in full, I usually got it within days after the fund clearing. In fact I usually get the title before the car gets delivered. Even if it's a consignment car, the dealer will send me a signed off title from the previous owner and I just take it to DMV to register. It's not common for you to pay taxes in Ohio, unless you are financing or doing leases (and even then, you are not paying Ohio taxes, you are paying CA taxes when the lender include that into your loan). You should pay taxes in CA here when you register the car with the bill of sale or purchase order, together with a smog and VIN verification.
I dont think a big dealer would do anything illegal such as pocketing your taxes when in fact they have no need to pay taxes on your behalf...but something to watch out for.
If for some strange reason you already paid taxes in Ohio, then your registration in CA involves another step, which is talking to state franchise board for a tax clearance to pay for the difference of taxes paid in Ohio vs CA...that's usually 2 weeks and you have to submit documents over. The DMV will hold your application until they get that clearance

One time I did get a title 3 months late. And that was with a local CA dealer on a consignment car, which they set up as a lease for me but I paid it off the next day. But it didnt bother me as much since I am already registered with DMV etc., and the delay is probably caused by the previous owner sending the title slow or holding off on paying off the car etc.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Why is that the end of the world? My registration showed up with my plates. You can still drive the car...
Actually, legally you can't. His car is not registered in California, nor has the registration even been applied for yet. You probably had the dealer file the registration paperwork in time and give you a temp registration at purchase. He does not have a valid CA temp registration. In CA, until you file the registration forms with the smog certificate and VIN verification form, you only have 20 days from the point the car enters the State to legally drive it here. Otherwise you're just driving around in an unregistered car and, when you do go to register it, you pay penalties. Plus you risk being ticketed for driving without a registration.

Quick Reply: Yet another "buying out of state and now no title in sight after xyz days" dilemma...