Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another "buying out of state and now no title in sight after xyz days" dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 67 Posts

Good to hear things are moving in the right direction! Hopefully your next update will be to let us know that all was resolved to your satisfaction. Cheers!
Old 11-09-2018, 08:05 PM
digs
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Send me a dealer plate or the money back . Why would you pay without proof of title ?
Old 11-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by digs
Send me a dealer plate or the money back . Why would you pay without proof of title ?
It happens often really. Dealers take in cars on trade. Assuming the car they took in on trade had a lien, the lienholder could have taken their sweet time releasing the title after payoff. Specific case in point; US Bank will not release a title until 15 business days after the note is paid off. That's 3 weeks. Let's say they took the car in on trade on a Monday; back office pays the note off Wednesday; then sells the car on a Friday. It would be three weeks at least before the dealer receives the title from US Bank to actually initiate the process of closing the deal on their end. I cite US Bank because Porsche Finance uses US Bank to hold their paper.

I am not a dealer but I am involved in floorplan finance with dealers and know the process well.

It's unfortunate; but it does happen.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

This is November 14. Took delivery last month. Got this email about an hour ago. Title company needed a current copy of my Ma license because the old one expired during the transaction, and dealer had the new one weeks ago. And they need my policy number. Dealer had that also.
  1. **The following penalties will be assessed if the vehicle is not titled by the 15th day of the month following the month of purchase. 1% failure to file sales tax, 1% failure to pay sales tax, .33% interest on the sales tax amount due. Exception: If deal originates in a state that is reciprocal with MA the amount of the penalty is only assessed on the amount due to Massachusetts.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:13 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by driIve
UPDATE:

Phil, the GM at Beachwood, along with Steven my salesperson and Tammie the title clerk, all reached out to me today. I think the fact that I had a detailed correspondence with the Ohio state attorney general yesterday and this particular thread may have helped (Phil said he gets updates from RL whenever Beachwood is mentioned, and he had read this whole thread). Long story short Phil seemed very sincere and apologetic on the phone. He let me know that this type of mishap does happen once or twice a year and acknowledged that they could've handles things a lot better, a lot sooner. He assured me they are putting things in hyperdrive and there WILL be a resolution before end of next week.

I'm hoping this will be my last update on this matter. Thank you fellow Rennlisters for your help and empathy.
Keep the pressure on until you get more than a phone call and a apology. Results are what matter at this point.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:52 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:04 AM
driIve
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, Final update:

Beachwood came through and overnight my docs yesterday. Received today, went straight to my trusty processor after work and 20 minutes later car is registered and good to go. Beachwood stepped up and went above and beyond WHEN THEY NEEDED TO. I believe my particular case is not the norm, and perhaps Beachwood was caught off guard as well. I also believe if I didn't create this thread and filed a complaint to the attorney general's office, I still would be without the title. In the end many lessons learned regarding purchasing unseen. Beachwood recognized their errors and made up for it. I would work with them again. Thank you all for your help!

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
This is November 14. Took delivery last month. Got this email about an hour ago. Title company needed a current copy of my Ma license because the old one expired during the transaction, and dealer had the new one weeks ago. And they need my policy number. Dealer had that also.
  1. **The following penalties will be assessed if the vehicle is not titled by the 15th day of the month following the month of purchase. 1% failure to file sales tax, 1% failure to pay sales tax, .33% interest on the sales tax amount due. Exception: If deal originates in a state that is reciprocal with MA the amount of the penalty is only assessed on the amount due to Massachusetts.
Sounds like what happened to me, crappy situation made worse by people dropping the ball. Good luck to you!

Originally Posted by RossP
Keep the pressure on until you get more than a phone call and a apology. Results are what matter at this point.
Indeed, pressure was placed and Beachwood delivered.

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Good luck!
Thank you sir!
Old 11-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

OK, Final update:

Beachwood came through and overnight my docs yesterday. Received today, went straight to my trusty processor after work and 20 minutes later car is registered and good to go. Beachwood stepped up and went above and beyond WHEN THEY NEEDED TO. I believe my particular case is not the norm, and perhaps Beachwood was caught off guard as well. I also believe if I didn't create this thread and filed a complaint to the attorney general's office, I still would be without the title. In the end many lessons learned regarding purchasing unseen. Beachwood recognized their errors and made up for it. I would work with them again. Thank you all for your help!

Sounds like what happened to me, crappy situation made worse by people dropping the ball. Good luck to you!

Got a text from my insurance agent this afternoon. "Your plates are here and ?? wants me to overnight them to Florida". Registration too? I asked. "Yup". Made no sense to either of us so he brought them by a few hours ago. About 3 weeks wait time after car arrived. Could not drive on road but could load in trailer and try it out at autocross with Ho Hos. Hell yeah. Now I can drive it on the road as soon as the snow clears. Maybe Sunday.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:55 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

I don't understand. I can't register a car without a title, correct? I did pay Ohio sales tax ($11K in this case, almost equivalent to CA).
oh my, this really sucks, so sorry for you

Quick Reply: Yet another "buying out of state and now no title in sight after xyz days" dilemma...