Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another "buying out of state and now no title in sight after xyz days" dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 04:59 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Actually, legally you can't. His car is not registered in California, nor has the registration even been applied for yet. You probably had the dealer file the registration paperwork in time and give you a temp registration at purchase. He does not have a valid CA temp registration. In CA, until you file the registration forms with the smog certificate and VIN verification form, you only have 20 days from the point the car enters the State to legally drive it here. Otherwise you're just driving around in an unregistered car and, when you do go to register it, you pay penalties. Plus you risk being ticketed for driving without a registration.
Yeah I had a temp NY tag from the dealer. When you buy a car out of state (or in state too), isn't it always a good idea to get a temp tag? I just put it on top of the dash.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:02 PM
driIve
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
Any response today from the GM?
NOPE. I also texted my salesperson (a fellow Rennlister) and nada, not even an acknowledgement. Honestly if the GM just calls and assures me he's aware of the situation and he'll personally make sure to see things through, I would feel A LOT better.

Originally Posted by no401k
hmmm...i bought out of state unseen several times in CA. Generally it's very quick to receive the title if you pay in full, I usually got it within days after the fund clearing. In fact I usually get the title before the car gets delivered. Even if it's a consignment car, the dealer will send me a signed off title from the previous owner and I just take it to DMV to register. It's not common for you to pay taxes in Ohio, unless you are financing or doing leases (and even then, you are not paying Ohio taxes, you are paying CA taxes when the lender include that into your loan). You should pay taxes in CA here when you register the car with the bill of sale or purchase order, together with a smog and VIN verification.
I dont think a big dealer would do anything illegal such as pocketing your taxes when in fact they have no need to pay taxes on your behalf...but something to watch out for.
If for some strange reason you already paid taxes in Ohio, then your registration in CA involves another step, which is talking to state franchise board for a tax clearance to pay for the difference of taxes paid in Ohio vs CA...that's usually 2 weeks and you have to submit documents over. The DMV will hold your application until they get that clearance

One time I did get a title 3 months late. And that was with a local CA dealer on a consignment car, which they set up as a lease for me but I paid it off the next day. But it didnt bother me as much since I am already registered with DMV etc., and the delay is probably caused by the previous owner sending the title slow or holding off on paying off the car etc.
As far as paying Ohio taxes and have it credited in CA, I had to look that up and seems legit. My processor said to get a notarized letter from the Ohio dealer, which I asked for and also no response. Whole thing has been a mess.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:05 PM
RLNTL3S

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

I would call the GM as well as the secretary that transfers calls and tell them that if you do not get a call back today, you are contacting state attorney general tomorrow.

See how quick that works...
Old 11-07-2018, 05:40 PM
aruisdante
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is the same well-known dealership in Ohio I bought my car from, it took them 45 days to finally get my registration completed in PA. It involved a *lot* of confusion between myself, the salesperson, the finance manager, and my local Porsche dealer doing the inspection/smog. Including one false start where they told me they where sending me the required paperwork, but what they actually sent me was a CPO information booklet. I had a 45 day temp tag and the registration made it to me on the day it expired. I was actually sitting down at my laptop to write a very displeased letter to the GM when it showed up at my door.

When the PA registration finally did make it to me, it turned out it had come from Penske group HQ in Kansas, it had not been processed by the dealer directly. This likely explains why no one really knew what was going on.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:54 PM
driIve
Instructor

Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
I would call the GM as well as the secretary that transfers calls and tell them that if you do not get a call back today, you are contacting state attorney general tomorrow.

See how quick that works...
I'm sure the GM is well aware of our situation and he has chosen not to respond, that is all I need to know about their after-sales customer service. I did get the ball rolling on the legal side of things, they can deal w/ the attorney general if it comes to that.

Originally Posted by aruisdante
If this is the same well-known dealership in Ohio I bought my car from, it took them 45 days to finally get my registration completed in PA. It involved a *lot* of confusion between myself, the salesperson, the finance manager, and my local Porsche dealer doing the inspection/smog. Including one false start where they told me they where sending me the required paperwork, but what they actually sent me was a CPO information booklet. I had a 45 day temp tag and the registration made it to me on the day it expired. I was actually sitting down at my laptop to write a very displeased letter to the GM when it showed up at my door.

When the PA registration finally did make it to me, it turned out it had come from Penske group HQ in Kansas, it had not been processed by the dealer directly. This likely explains why no one really knew what was going on.
IT IS. I know another Rennlister who purchased a .1 from them recently also having issues.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:16 PM
aruisdante
Advanced

In fairness, the paperwork issues where the only blemish on my sales experience. They were incredibly accommodating to me otherwise, including giving me a Panamera loaner for a week when they took my car back to finish the we-owe work when I took early delivery to make the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. It's a shame that the paperwork situation hasn't gotten any better. They must have new staff in either their or Penske HQ's title departments that aren't providing clear information to the points of contact with the customer.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:42 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

sounds like beachwood?
Old 11-08-2018, 12:01 AM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

Didnt know about paying taxes in Ohio if you’re from out of state....If it’s aforementioned dealer...I’ve only had poor experiences, and was never able to reach anyone but my sales person, high volume, don’t give a **** attitude
Old 11-08-2018, 12:02 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by geetee
sounds like beachwood?
penske + Ohio = Beachwood?
Old 11-08-2018, 02:23 AM
driIve
Instructor

In fairness, the paperwork issues where the only blemish on my sales experience. They were incredibly accommodating to me otherwise, including giving me a Panamera loaner for a week when they took my car back to finish the we-owe work when I took early delivery to make the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. It's a shame that the paperwork situation hasn't gotten any better. They must have new staff in either their or Penske HQ's title departments that aren't providing clear information to the points of contact with the customer.
Agreed. Great service all the way up to delivery. I left glowing reviews for them online and here. Totally different attitude post delivery.

Originally Posted by geetee
sounds like beachwood?
Yep.

Originally Posted by osu s2k
Didnt know about paying taxes in Ohio if you’re from out of state....If it’s aforementioned dealer...I’ve only had poor experiences, and was never able to reach anyone but my sales person, high volume, don’t give a **** attitude
Now I know...

Originally Posted by JAM2

penske + Ohio = Beachwood?
YES. I didn't mention names since the purpose of my thread isn't to put them on blast but to gather opinions and suggestions from fellow RL'ers for my situation.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:53 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Abysmal dealer service on a $150k transaction. Note to self: Always ask for an electronic copy of the title before wiring funds, even if the title is held by a bank (for cars with loans/liens).
Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

I had several 30 day temp tags from Virginia back in 2016, but Massachusetts does not recognize temp tags from other states. I drove it for about a week until an insurance friend told me about it. Car would get towed if I was stopped for some reason. That took 3 months. And now I have temp tags from Florida so my new to me GT3 6MT stays in the garage. I may not be able to even drive it until next spring if the snow/salt/sand comes early. Sigh. I will have to settle for breaking in Miami Blue, or driving the Mac.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:32 AM
aruisdante
Advanced

On the tax thing: they would only have collected Ohio taxes if they were going to register the car for you. They did this with mine as well, and when I did finally get my PA registration it also came with two checks, one for a small refund for overwitholding for the taxes (with my trade offset they had held back slightly too much), and the other because PA’s registration fee is cheaper than Ohio’s by about $20. This also could explain why the paperwork process is taking so long for you.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:05 PM
driIve
Instructor

Originally Posted by hf1
Abysmal dealer service on a $150k transaction. Note to self: Always ask for an electronic copy of the title before wiring funds, even if the title is held by a bank (for cars with loans/liens).
Exactly. If I ever buy out of state my first question would be "do you have title in hand."

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
I had several 30 day temp tags from Virginia back in 2016, but Massachusetts does not recognize temp tags from other states. I drove it for about a week until an insurance friend told me about it. Car would get towed if I was stopped for some reason. That took 3 months. And now I have temp tags from Florida so my new to me GT3 6MT stays in the garage. I may not be able to even drive it until next spring if the snow/salt/sand comes early. Sigh. I will have to settle for breaking in Miami Blue, or driving the Mac.
I drive around sparingly on a temp plate from Ohio (not DD), it is my second one (first one expired already). My impression it's OK? Not sure..

On the tax thing: they would only have collected Ohio taxes if they were going to register the car for you. They did this with mine as well, and when I did finally get my PA registration it also came with two checks, one for a small refund for overwitholding for the taxes (with my trade offset they had held back slightly too much), and the other because PA’s registration fee is cheaper than Ohio’s by about $20. This also could explain why the paperwork process is taking so long for you.
That's news to me. I'm told I'll get my "paperwork" and I can take that to register the car here myself. I can be wrong, obviously Beachwood is not the best at communication post sale. Whenever I question their clerk lady Tammie on what's going on she tells me "well I don't tell you the details because you don't need or know (or it's not important, forget exact words).
Old 11-09-2018, 07:38 PM
driIve
Instructor

UPDATE:

Phil, the GM at Beachwood, along with Steven my salesperson and Tammie the title clerk, all reached out to me today. I think the fact that I had a detailed correspondence with the Ohio state attorney general yesterday and this particular thread may have helped (Phil said he gets updates from RL whenever Beachwood is mentioned, and he had read this whole thread). Long story short Phil seemed very sincere and apologetic on the phone. He let me know that this type of mishap does happen once or twice a year and acknowledged that they could've handles things a lot better, a lot sooner. He assured me they are putting things in hyperdrive and there WILL be a resolution before end of next week.

I'm hoping this will be my last update on this matter. Thank you fellow Rennlisters for your help and empathy.

Quick Reply: Yet another "buying out of state and now no title in sight after xyz days" dilemma...