Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharkwerks vs BBI/GRP bypass

Old 11-04-2018, 11:29 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharkwerks vs BBI/GRP bypass

Has anyone actually tried both and preferred the sound of the Sharkwerks? By the time I try both of these I should have just bought the Dundon street headers.

The sound of the BBI/Grp is good but it changes the original tone quite a bit which I’m not sure I like. It’s definitely mean sounding and can scare a pedestrian lol.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:43 AM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Have you seen "Obsessed Garage" on YouTube? He made many videos comparing them all.

He compared them all on his 3.8 GT3.

Edit: I don't think he compared BBI... He made other various comparisons. Just check him out and you will see.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:49 PM
hayn911gt3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check this one out; https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...m-exhaust.html

Last day for the intro sale and it's titanium....
Old 11-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglenario
Has anyone actually tried both and preferred the sound of the Sharkwerks? By the time I try both of these I should have just bought the Dundon street headers.

The sound of the BBI/Grp is good but it changes the original tone quite a bit which I’m not sure I like. It’s definitely mean sounding and can scare a pedestrian lol.
The GRP is loud and changes tone but I like the deeper growl- very German-like

The SW will not change the tone but will increase volume but not by as much as the GRP
Old 11-05-2018, 02:14 PM
kinglenario
Racer

I have made my own comparison now and tried them both on my car. Obsessed garage didn't use the BBI/GRP.

The Sharkwerks is MUCH quieter than the BBI/GRP. I almost have a hard time telling the difference between the Sharkwerks and stock but it really smooths out the transition from when the valves open. On the BBI when the valves open it's like an on/off switch. Honestly I like them both but they are VERY different. The Sharkwerks is just a tad louder than stock but almost exactly the same tone.

My take, if you want a refined sound that is close to stock but a little louder at WOT go with the Sharkwerks. If you want a nastier tone that grumbles and scares pedestrians get the BBI/GRP.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

^About right. I disconnected the valves so there is no more transition and really smooths things out
Old 11-05-2018, 02:22 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I’ve had a Sharkwerks on my 997.1 RS and BBi on my 991.1 RS. Both great products. If you want more subtlety I’d choose Sharkwerks, if you want more volume and aggressiveness I’d choose BBi. I have my BBi for sale if you’re interested.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:27 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Originally Posted by Jon70
I’ve had a Sharkwerks on my 997.1 RS and BBi on my 991.1 RS. Both great products. If you want more subtlety I’d choose Sharkwerks, if you want more volume and aggressiveness I’d choose BBi. I have my BBi for sale if you’re interested.
Agreed, now that I have tried and own both lol. What are you changing to? The titanium one?
Old 11-05-2018, 02:38 PM
GRPerformance
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi guys.

For sure my take is this, our system is louder and more depth to it, a stronger tone and more prominent noise. This really is due to the piping and the X-Pipe being done the way it is. Definitely the 4 inch bellows makes a massive difference to give it that tone that you are referring to. Is it louder, yes, but on my personal GT3 I find if I cruise around with valves closed its still perfectly quiet and enjoyable. Now, we all have our opinions and that is fine, I respect Alex and the Sharkwerks staff immensely for what they have done, they've helped change the game.

For me though, I want that depth. I do not like the sound of the car stock, its too quiet and its too high pitch. Our system fixes all of those issues and gives me what I want. We have had numerous customers switch over now from Sharkwerks to our systems after hearing ours, in fact I would say the majority of our customers are past SW customers. I also do think our quality is better, we do the ceramic coating which is awesome and ours is done in Indianapolis by the same company who coats all of our racing headers as well as all of the NHRA headers. If they can withstand the thousands of degrees it will hit on the track, it can withstand all the conditions and heat of a road car! This eliminates rust and corrosion which is common on some of our competitors products.

There's plenty of fish in this sea, we all have a slightly different taste in what we want out of our cars and we have to respect that. I think both SW and GRP/BBi are great options for everyone!
Old 11-05-2018, 03:17 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Originally Posted by GRPerformance
Hi guys.

For sure my take is this, our system is louder and more depth to it, a stronger tone and more prominent noise. This really is due to the piping and the X-Pipe being done the way it is. Definitely the 4 inch bellows makes a massive difference to give it that tone that you are referring to. Is it louder, yes, but on my personal GT3 I find if I cruise around with valves closed its still perfectly quiet and enjoyable. Now, we all have our opinions and that is fine, I respect Alex and the Sharkwerks staff immensely for what they have done, they've helped change the game.

For me though, I want that depth. I do not like the sound of the car stock, its too quiet and its too high pitch. Our system fixes all of those issues and gives me what I want. We have had numerous customers switch over now from Sharkwerks to our systems after hearing ours, in fact I would say the majority of our customers are past SW customers. I also do think our quality is better, we do the ceramic coating which is awesome and ours is done in Indianapolis by the same company who coats all of our racing headers as well as all of the NHRA headers. If they can withstand the thousands of degrees it will hit on the track, it can withstand all the conditions and heat of a road car! This eliminates rust and corrosion which is common on some of our competitors products.

There's plenty of fish in this sea, we all have a slightly different taste in what we want out of our cars and we have to respect that. I think both SW and GRP/BBi are great options for everyone!
I have no complaints about anything with GRP. Customer service was great, shipping was fast, quality of product is outstanding. It might be a hair loud for me on the touring, but the Sharkwerks is a little too quiet for me. It is true that on the GRP you can close the valves, keep the car under 4k rpm and keep it pretty quiet.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:59 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglenario
Agreed, now that I have tried and own both lol. What are you changing to? The titanium one?
I have zero complaints regarding the BBi. Only reason I'm selling is I've decided to do a side muffler delete on my 991.2 RS and keep the stock titanium rear muffler. I had the BBi on my 991. RS.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:11 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

For those of you saying your SW bypasses sound similar to stock, have you heard your car from the outside yet? I have friends with SW bypasses on their .2s and they are LOUD, both on startup and under load.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:19 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 936 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by hayn911gt3
Check this one out; https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...m-exhaust.html

Last day for the intro sale and it's titanium....

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 11-05-2018, 04:32 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Originally Posted by WantA997
For those of you saying your SW bypasses sound similar to stock, have you heard your car from the outside yet? I have friends with SW bypasses on their .2s and they are LOUD, both on startup and under load.
It is pretty loud on a cold start but not once warmed up. From the inside with windows down it's stock tone but a bit louder, not much. The GRP is MUCH louder. 6dB (twice as loud) at least.

This isn't a bad thing, especially on a touring. The Sharkwerks is definitely more pleasant on the inside, but the GRP has a nasty deeper growl. It depends what you want.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:15 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

How does the GRP/BBI compare to the GMG bypass? I had a GMG bypass on my 991.1 GT3, and it sounded great. It was very loud and deep. I'm thinking about which bypass to get for my 991.2 GT3. I'd like something not quite as loud, but still deep sounding. I don't like the stock high pitched sound as mentioned above, so Sharkwerks isn't for me. Not sure how Akrapovic fits in with these, or any other alternatives.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sharkwerks vs BBI/GRP bypass