Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any GT car owners have/getting an M5 Competition yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 01:03 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzips
Can’t understand what the appeal of a super high powered heavy sedan would be to someone who owns a 911GT car. When would such a person ever use the high performance aspects of an M5? Would you really track it or take it on a canyon run in lieu of your 911? Why not just get a regular 5 series and have something quieter and more comfortable and more economical for daily driving than the M version?

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the general appeal of an M5 to someone who wants only 1 car that does everything, but not the appeal to someone who already has a GT3.
We are all different, but in my case, every time I went for quiet and comfortable it ended up costing me more. Either in terms of a sense of time wasted or a car that ends up not being driven, or real $. As mentioned above, the bar is set high once one experiences some seat time in some decent cars. Plus, it is fine to enjoy different cars in different ways, for different purposes. Sitting in traffic is different than driving in canyons.

Interesting to see how this thread is moving - waiting to hear about Model 3 and Hyundai Sonata as compared to M5 or E63S. Or whatever. Nothing related to power and driving enjoyment makes sense financially - the only way to be rational about cars is not to care about them.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:55 PM
porsche518
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 28 Posts

I have always wanted a M5. But the f10 and f90 M5s never did it for me. Something has been lost, albiet the f90 is much better than the f10. I have had 2 F06 M6 gran coupes, they have that something the M5 was missing for me. I leased the first one and when the lease was up I drove all the competitors and none of them spoke to me the way the M6gc does, the e63s wagon was close. But I decided buy this one and keep it for a few years and then look again. Have it running with dinan stage 2 on it and it is a highway beast.

There is a replacement coming out for the m6 in the form of the m8, so now might be a great time to get some deals on the dealer inventory. Ohh always get ZCP.

Last edited by porsche518; 11-05-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:04 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Because the bar is set high by my Porsches and I want the best I can get for daily driving. That's why I have an X5M with 733hp, I want all my driving to be fun, I don't want to settle for less when I take the kids to school or go on road trips. I want something that is fast and sporty, I don't want something that is quiet and economical. Quiet and economical = boring.

I also have a Ford Raptor that I daily most of the time now (my fiancee stole the X5M), and that is fun in its own right. It definitely isn't quiet and economical, though. It's just fun. When you spend hours in traffic you want something that you really enjoy being in.
The Raptor is the best vehicle of any class for the money...70k and you can haul ***, drift, take luggage, go offroad, leave it dirty etc. It's the GT3RS of trucks. My wife daily drives ours, a much better vehicle than the Range Rover we had before...

Old 11-05-2018, 04:00 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The Raptor is the best vehicle of any class for the money...70k and you can haul ***, drift, take luggage, go offroad, leave it dirty etc. It's the GT3RS of trucks. My wife daily drives ours, a much better vehicle than the Range Rover we had before...
Yep, I've never been a truck guy but I've been driving this thing constantly since I got it. We take the kids on road trips in it and do everything in it. Coming back from the beach over Memorial Day weekend the traffic was so bad that we had to take miles of dirt back roads to bypass it, and I could just floor it and fly past the traffic jams. I never expected it to be so fun, even in everyday traffic. I thought it would just be a backup vehicle when I got it, but it ended up being my daily.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:22 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Funny how every DD thread, no matter how focused, winds up back at the Raptor.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:31 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
because deep down, we are all rednecks
Old 11-05-2018, 04:54 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

M cars as daily drivers in snow states don't work for me anymore. I am done beyond done with playing the snow tire swap game. My DD needs to be all wheel drive on all season tires.

I test drove everything under the sun and bought an X3 M40i. I can't think of a better daily driver at this time. It makes most of the BMW sedans feel sedate and slow.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:10 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by signes
Now that I think about it, it's weird how many of my friends with Porsche, Lambos, McLarens etc. daily Raptors. It's an oddly high percentage of them.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:12 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

BMWs and AMGs driven hard daily have not held up for me......something always breaking......they sound great when they are running but too often I was at the dealer every few months knowing every mechanics name.........the thing about Porsches is you can literally abuse them hour after hour and they hold up.........

Maybe the newer M cars and AMG are better, but I have not heard any better from my simmer friends and Mercedes loyalists, ie coils failing, CEL light, ignition modules, etc......

Cars all depreciate but the AMG - "all money gone" cars absolutely sink faster than the Titanic.....good for second buyer though.....

M cars hold a bit better, but Porsches still hold about 10 to 15% better - an estimate from my experiences.............

Panamera Turbo S Hybrid would be a good one to buy used...........that car would be insane and have surprising performance against the AMG and M cars of the world.....
Old 11-05-2018, 06:58 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by abiazis
BMWs and AMGs driven hard daily have not held up for me......something always breaking......they sound great when they are running but too often I was at the dealer every few months knowing every mechanics name.........the thing about Porsches is you can literally abuse them hour after hour and they hold up.........

Maybe the newer M cars and AMG are better, but I have not heard any better from my simmer friends and Mercedes loyalists, ie coils failing, CEL light, ignition modules, etc......

Cars all depreciate but the AMG - "all money gone" cars absolutely sink faster than the Titanic.....good for second buyer though.....

M cars hold a bit better, but Porsches still hold about 10 to 15% better - an estimate from my experiences.............

Panamera Turbo S Hybrid would be a good one to buy used...........that car would be insane and have surprising performance against the AMG and M cars of the world.....
For what it's worth, my 2017 X5M has been flawless over 37k miles. It's also been tuned to over 700hp its whole life, with no issues. I've only done regular maintenance and minor stuff like having them take care of some brake squealing, but it's been a perfect ownership experience so far and I don't regret buying it one bit. It's also been an extremely fun car to drive. Way more fun than my E92 M3s were. It actually feels more agile and nimble than those, which is quite a feat for such a heavy car.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:08 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
For what it's worth, my 2017 X5M has been flawless over 37k miles. It's also been tuned to over 700hp its whole life, with no issues. I've only done regular maintenance and minor stuff like having them take care of some brake squealing, but it's been a perfect ownership experience so far and I don't regret buying it one bit. It's also been an extremely fun car to drive. Way more fun than my E92 M3s were. It actually feels more agile and nimble than those, which is quite a feat for such a heavy car.
equally echo your experience
I've had my x5m for almost 3 years and ~33K miles, not a single mechanical issue besides a recall on front wheel spacers. very happy with the car just not worth the money I dumped into it--if and when I do it again, I either lease and/or buy used.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:12 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 919 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis

I have had several M cars and AMG cars over the years and they have been the most reliable cars I have owned
also my brother is a service advisor for a large BMW dealership and he confirmed to me that M cars are more reliable than their regular siblings
Old 11-05-2018, 07:21 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I was planning to make my F10 M5 a 1-2/weekday car but it ended up the car I would get for work. Before I changed jobs, I drove 50 miles each way so atleast 100 miles daily and the M5 was perfect for it.
I ended up making my TT the 1-2 day back up since i was racking up too many miles on it.

If you just drive like 10-20 miles daily and have traffic, the M5 would not be for you. These cars needs roads. i love my e39 but this is light speed fast compared to anything ived owned, including my Speciale.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:22 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

Glad you last three posters have had good luck....the new ones must be a bit better like most cars have become....my BMWs were not great as mentioned except for a 528it that was perfect. My $200k AMG was a coil eating machine plus motor and transmission mount issues, rear end differential disc splitting issues - etc...relatively very expensive to repair...my warranty ran out and I dumped the car quick..

You all got good Bimmers it seems, but I am only one for three that only counts in baseball and Zero for one with AMG, but I am super hard on my cars so that may be the reason...
Old 11-05-2018, 07:29 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

This thread is timely as I'm interested in the F90 as well - not sure if base or competition would make more sense for me.

I had E34 and E39 M5s and thoroughly enjoyed each but then BMW started to lose their way in terms of building cars that were actually fun to drive. Last year I bought an M2 and that little car has renewed my interest and hope that BMW can once again get back to building cars for people who enjoy driving. Not only has the M2 been super fun, but it hasn't been to the dealer for anything other than the required annual service. My interest in the M5 comes from wanting something a bit more powerful and luxurious than the M2.

Quick Reply: Any GT car owners have/getting an M5 Competition yet?