Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any GT car owners have/getting an M5 Competition yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 12:45 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I drove the M5 at the BMW Performance School at Thermal. Loved it.
How was the 4 wheel drive system? Love the idea of being able to switch on and off
Old 11-05-2018, 12:56 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
How was the 4 wheel drive system? Love the idea of being able to switch on and off
Works great.

When it's decoupled the car drives just like a pure RWD setup (which it is). Aside from the added weight, when decoupled there is no difference than a straight up RWD setup.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:37 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

^agree. I tried a couple of times today. Easy to switch 2WD/4WD. Cool feature and the car is so heavy anyway that the additional weight is no big deal, it seems.

Sound in Sport Plus is quite aggressive, but I guess AMG's hire some maestros for their exhaust tones.

I agree with some observations above. Between E63S and M5, it's a matter of taste, but at this price range, for this segment, nothing beats these 2 cars, I believe. Similar driving experience only with the higher up Pannys or Bentley for way more $.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:27 AM
AhsanU
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd take a Panamera 4S over an M5.. and that's exactly what I did recently. I got a killer deal on the 4S that's completely loaded, so I couldn't pass it up. In retrospect, it may have been a bit better to pony up the money and buy a Turbo for the 8 cylinder sound/power, but the 4S delivers plenty of poke and with just an ECU tune, can push out 570bhp very easily.

BMW M's don't hold value in the slightest (at least the newer ones definitely don't) and usually are plagued with some sort of factory issue. The F80 M3 that I stepped out of had crank hub issues, and now there's a recall for the carbon fiber driveshaft for 2 MY's. The new M5 will have its inevitable issues, and BMW will fight you tooth and nail to not foot the bill. BMW flags cars with aftermarket intakes, and then proceed to inform the owner that their warranty is void because of a simple intake - it's ridiculous, I didn't know an intake could somehow cause exhaust valves to start failing! The E46 M3 had subframe cracks, E92 had rod bearing issues, and so forth. For peace of mind, I will avoid any and all things BMW related.

While I like the interior of the new 5 series and feel it's quite luxurious, it just doesn't impress. It feels as if it was made to sell to the masses as a safe bet, the new BMW 3 series further reiterates this notion as it's a style that isn't offensive in the slightest, but in doing so it's become a snooze fest and a boring car that I wouldn't even remotely want to own. The performance numbers are impressive for the M5.. but that's not what I'm looking for in a DD/luxury sedan. The M5, despite inherently being a 5 series at heart, still does not ride so well and doesn't take bumps well either. The Panamera 4S that I recently picked up rides like an absolute champion. It may not have the best acceleration figures, nor does it have an exhaust note that's worth writing home to, but it does drive extremely smoothly and it the interior quality is a step above what BMW's currently offering IMO.

Only thing I don't like: the gearing feels unnecessarily short in the 4S, but I may have become far too used to the 991 GT3.. also, the single turbo Panamera 4 sounds waaaay better than the 2.9L V6 that's in the 4S/Audi RS5. The driving experience isn't as great as the M5, but that's not what I'm looking for when I'm hauling family/kids. The Panamera is safe, luxurious, has plenty of technology, looks better, and attracts far fewer douchebags that love to rev/race a BMW M car when they see one.

Black on black.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:43 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

can't argue that the 400+HP pan 4s is or isn't a good car- it's just hard to ignore the peer pet dollar factor that E63 and M5 have going for them...

personally I like the styling of the Sport Turismo. that's my panamera of choice.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
I have a F10 M5 since new. Its a manual and has a comp pack and CCB.
I drove it yesterday and it will stay with me until they make another manual m5.
Its too fast, even faster than a 991 RS on a running start.

I took out my e39 right now for an inspection, such a big difference between the two.

Both will stay with my porsches.

Dont plan to buy an F90 m5.

Would rather have an M5 than a panamera.

That's a keeper then!
Old 11-05-2018, 10:57 AM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

I loved the E63 but found it nowhere near as comfy as the M5 on crappy NJ and northeast roads. After a year of having the GT3 as my only car I was ready for my 'other' car to take the comfort level up several notches. So far it has been great.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:05 AM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Can’t understand what the appeal of a super high powered heavy sedan would be to someone who owns a 911GT car. When would such a person ever use the high performance aspects of an M5? Would you really track it or take it on a canyon run in lieu of your 911? Why not just get a regular 5 series and have something quieter and more comfortable and more economical for daily driving than the M version?

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the general appeal of an M5 to someone who wants only 1 car that does everything, but not the appeal to someone who already has a GT3.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
Never buy a new M or AMG anything...

wait it out a year or so
get a CPO car
You’ll have about 30-40k more in your checking account

i bought a new x5m 3 years ago....car is worth 50% what I paid for it back then. Never again. Never.
Agree 100%

Bought a CPO 2015 550I in March for 40,000. Original sticker was $79,000. Had every bell and whistle plus my favorite color- Space Gray

The only cars I have bought new were .1 GT3, GT4 and my .2 GT3. Every other car I buy is a year or two old and I do my due diligence.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:40 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 921 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzips
Can’t understand what the appeal of a super high powered heavy sedan would be to someone who owns a 911GT car. When would such a person ever use the high performance aspects of an M5? Would you really track it or take it on a canyon run in lieu of your 911? Why not just get a regular 5 series and have something quieter and more comfortable and more economical for daily driving than the M version?

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the general appeal of an M5 to someone who wants only 1 car that does everything, but not the appeal to someone who already has a GT3.
because I do 95 % of my driving during the week . I had the F10 m5 , and currently drive the E 63 S, and I can tell you they are a blast to drive
Old 11-05-2018, 11:59 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This. I just can't justify the depreciation on the AMG/M/RS cars anymore for a daily, I'd rather DD an SUV honestly and have more of a dichotomy in my garage.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:03 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

The appeal is in the contrast. I have an F13 M6 and while it's heavy, it's also more comfortable cruising at speed and a rocketship, which is ultimately the purpose of a Gran Turismo. Power on demand, heated/cooling seats, 300 movies on the USB on tap to play on the widescreen display, cup holders, surrounded by leather and alcantara, amazing sound system, etc... It's an entirely different category of car and entirely different purpose.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:14 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

My family lives a few states away and so I generally need to do a 3+ hour long highway bomb at least once every month now. Being able to do that in a 600 horsepower large sedan that can carry people and luggage, with every technological bell and whistle, all-wheel drive and elevated levels of comfort is actually a very nice experience. Sure I could have gotten a regular 5-series but the added level of performance of the M5 ensures I'm not bored to tears when I am away for the weekend and can't reach for the keys to my GT3.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:20 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Because the bar is set high by my Porsches and I want the best I can get for daily driving. That's why I have an X5M with 733hp, I want all my driving to be fun, I don't want to settle for less when I take the kids to school or go on road trips. I want something that is fast and sporty, I don't want something that is quiet and economical. Quiet and economical = boring.

I also have a Ford Raptor that I daily most of the time now (my fiancee stole the X5M), and that is fun in its own right. It definitely isn't quiet and economical, though. It's just fun. When you spend hours in traffic you want something that you really enjoy being in.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:26 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

I tried the new M5 at a dealership event. For the street, it is the ultra-fast, all-in-1 type of sedan. Way better performance-wise comparing to a normal 5 series without losing much of the comfort.
For someone that have to drive a family sedan and still loves driving, this is the one to get - if you can live with the depreciation.

Quick Reply: Any GT car owners have/getting an M5 Competition yet?