Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The price of speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 01:27 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

after a year, no issues. of course things can happen but they could on the way to the track etc... i would say i am far safer than say a bicycle ride or fast enduro. i used to do both a lot.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:47 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
Recursive question That I have thankfully exited with an SR3.
Same here, not looking back

Faster, cheaper and loads of fun. Orgasmic if you can "race" with friends
Old 11-07-2018, 09:24 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

This thread is at least half of why I choose not to track more than 1 day per year, and even then, why I only go our maybe 3-4 times out for about 20 minutes or so at a time and not pushing it to 10/10ths. Obviously, the costs are very high to maintain a GT3 that is tracked more, but hardly any higher than street use if tracked as infrequently as I do.

The other reason, honestly, and YMMV (to borrow an acronym that applies equally to the 2 hobbies discussed in this thread....), but I’ve found spirited drives on beautiful mountain roads like those we frequent at Smokies GT gatherings far more enjoyable than track time anyway. Much better scenery, more variety of roads and terrain, and a sense of adventure / going somewhere.

While I’m sure the way we push it on those roads wears out consumables faster than C&C events or puttering around the city (of course), I don’t need dedicated track insurance or mods, will probably never need to change the (PCCB) brakes, and might need tires only once per year or even less often.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:10 PM
cacpa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found this thread informative and I didn't properly consider the cost v. speed direct relationship. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:10 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
cup cars are about 4-8k per hour depending on how you are spending that hour (DE or Test or Race)

IMSA weekends are 30-40k plus any damage.
15K-20k when you put fuel, hotel track, support, shop fees. hauling and other misc.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:53 PM
typicaltrabes
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread really frightened me at first as I am waiting to get into a 991.2 GT3 and plan on tracking. Did the math though and realized I am not paying all that much less to track my E92 M3. Its a pretty modded car but essentially a track car with license plates and it ain't cheap to maintain. I had never really done the numbers in my head. That said I started skipping the insurance because doing 10-15 days a year I would have ended up paying more on insurance in the past years than the car is worth anymore! No matter how you slice it, tracking is expensive but IMO totally worth it.

Quick Reply: The price of speed