Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The price of speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:56 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really understand the allure of tracking a street car. Is it so it can be driven to the track? Having a car setup for the track that you also drive on the street is a compromise on both ends. Why not a nice GT3/RS for the street and a dedicated track car whatever it may be with slicks? A used cup car would be sweet. Plus tracking the street car isn't very good for it.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:02 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
I'm "re"-exploring a dedicated track/TT car, preferably factory built.

Ie nd mx5 cup or m235i/240i cup car
Has worked nicely for me.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:08 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

HP and Weight = $$$. Tires really make a big difference too. If your ego can handle it, buy some michelin super sports, go 2 seconds slower and cut your costs by ~30%.

Or get a second hooker (Hoosiers) and watch your brake pads evaporate like your coke. These new 20" hoosiers are better than homemade pancakes, and you can scare the hell out of cup cars and GT4 clubsports. It's insane how fast this car is.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:11 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Re 10 are endurance and i had ferodo and re10 lasted longer.
Good to know. I'll try RE10 next. Ferodos last 15-17 days for me and rotors Apex rotors with them last over 40 days (was 5 and 10 days on OEM brakes, so I'm not too gentle on brakes).
Old 11-05-2018, 09:11 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
HP and Weight = $$$. Tires really make a big difference too. If your ego can handle it, buy some michelin super sports, go 2 seconds slower and cut your costs by ~30%.

Or get a second hooker (Hoosiers) and watch your brake pads evaporate like your coke. These new 20" hoosiers are better than homemade pancakes, and you can scare the hell out of cup cars and GT4 clubsports. It's insane how fast this car is.

spot on !
Old 11-05-2018, 09:29 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Sorta why I'm in a 718 CGTS instead of a .2 GT3 which I wouldn't pay ADM for and really don't care to attack CL wheels in my declining years. It won't run sub 2:20 at Sebring but it will run sub 2:26, with a hack driver, on RE-71R street tires for 1/2 the consumables and buy in cost of a GT3.

Peter
Funny, but I picked one up too and have been having a blast running that little 718 at track days the last 3 months. Its not as fast or enjoyable to drive as my GT3 RS, but tires are half the price, pads and rotors are dirt cheap in comparison. Plus track insurance is very inexpensive as well, so I can drive much more aggressively with less guilt. I am shocked at how quick it is, I've started calling it "The Little Monster" because it sounds weird and runs fast. Its so good I'll probably get a stripper GT4 (buckets only) and start using that for track fun once they release the new one.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:44 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
So about 1/5th the cost of arrive and drive at a PCA race....for a cheap car
I go racing in SCCA Spec Racer Ford, arrive and drive for about $2000/ day including tires and maintenance. Full track side support- away races I have to pay for towing and crew expenses. By my estimates it’s less than 25% more than tracking my old GT3 when you factor in insurance. Of course you have contact that’s on you, LOL. Typical 3 day race weekend breaks down as follows (no towing charges):

Tires for the Weekend: $900
Race car Prep: $750
3 Days of on site support: $1700
Misc. (Fuel, small consumables): $250
Total- $5100

So for me racing is just a better deal, and I can keep my street cars on the street and I’m racing someone always- not chasing just a clock, so the rush is way higher. Of course contact happens, but often in our class small contact is just cracked fiberglass that can be repaired at the track- eventually you fix it- so figure about $1000 per weekend that in the course of a 8 weekend race seasons averages your crash expense. Of course you can go it your own and do it for about half- but being a mechanic and a race car driver is a tall order.

Just thought I would share the real world expenses with anyone who wants to join me on the dark side.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:49 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Great thread, adding up the cost really brings home the true $$ of this hobby! On MPSS, it’s not so much going 2 secs slower or the 30% savings, it’s the tire’s performance that doesn’t work for me. MPSS are good for about 10-12 mins (4-5 hard/fast laps) then they get really greasy which compromises the back half of a typical 24 mind DE session!
Old 11-05-2018, 11:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglenario
I don't really understand the allure of tracking a street car. Is it so it can be driven to the track? Having a car setup for the track that you also drive on the street is a compromise on both ends. Why not a nice GT3/RS for the street and a dedicated track car whatever it may be with slicks? A used cup car would be sweet. Plus tracking the street car isn't very good for it.
how much track time do you have?
Old 11-05-2018, 11:29 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Recursive question That I have thankfully exited with an SR3.

Last edited by hughp3; 11-06-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:07 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx;15411091[left
Peter you broke the cardinal rule. Never add up the receipts.
I’ve rounded it all down nicely to make myself feel better after racing two years.
Always prefer my own reality. If I type it often enough I’ll believe it.[/left]
Old 11-06-2018, 05:13 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Good to know. I'll try RE10 next. Ferodos last 15-17 days for me and rotors Apex rotors with them last over 40 days (was 5 and 10 days on OEM brakes, so I'm not too gentle on brakes).
At your speed that’s never ever going to happen at any of the SouthEast tracks.
All CA tracks are relatively slow, without much very slow corners after very fast straights and so, super easy on brakes.

Youre invited :-)
Stick the GT3 on a truck to me with an ETA before Dec 7 and you will have at a minimum 13 Sebring track days before the end of January.
I’ll take care of the rest. Bring the usual Vancouver and Bay Area suspects with you.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
I've rented these - incredibly fun and very fast. Also very cool to experience some downforce, but then I found myself bored with the super speed. There are very few people to run with when you have the fastest car on the track, and you end up driving around waiting for point bys...
Old 11-06-2018, 09:39 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've rented these - incredibly fun and very fast. Also very cool to experience some downforce, but then I found myself bored with the super speed. There are very few people to run with when you have the fastest car on the track, and you end up driving around waiting for point bys...
Thankfully I have other faster cars and drivers to keep me looking. Come join the new club at Road Atlanta. 991 Cups, Formula Atlantic, Ferrari Challenge, LMP3 and others. I get killed on the back straight but make it up elsewhere.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:14 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
Have you had any issues running an open cockpit car in DEs or Open track events?

Quick Reply: The price of speed