Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I pull the trigger for DD

Old 11-02-2018, 10:54 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts
Default Should I pull the trigger for DD

Well- I DD a BMW 550I which I really do like. It was my first BMW and do love the Steering; and the Suspension is also pretty darn good. I would say it is my Business car. My weekend warrior is my .2 GT3 in a Manual.

So- I plugged a nail in the passenger 's front tire and was at the Dealer yesterday getting the tire replaced. Staring right at me in the showroom was a 2019 M2 Competition with all the bells and whistles-plus- a 6 speed Manual. I got to tell you- what a beautiful looking car. Has a great stance and nice and compact. Love the front end- nice and aggressive. I think I got to have it. I am thinking of trading my 550I for this little beast. It haunted my dreams last nigh. I figured - I will just daily drive this thing. If I am with some Customers they can squeeze in to the back . You only live once and this car would be a blast.

Can you imagine what this car would be like with a tune!!!????

Thoughts for those that may own or have owned one
Old 11-02-2018, 11:37 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I owned a pre-update M2 briefly. Granted the Competition has a more potent motor. Though I'd argue the engine note is better pre-update.

That said, the handling is excellent. Not much roll for a street car. And ride was in between comfort and sport compared to my former M3 with adaptive dampers. So pretty liveable. The nimble feel was it's defining characteristic compared to the F80, but not twitchy.

Gearbox was fine, a bit spongy but I was comparing to a 997.2 GT3 and 981 GT4. Steering feel was ok. But again, comparing to Porsche.

I carried my kids, 8 and 6 yo in the back without issue. But adults taller than 6ft would feel scrunched as the roof line slopes quite a bit in back. A decent sized trunk for luggage/groceries.

It would be a fun daily. Very easy to get in and drive comfortably fast.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:42 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I heard the G generation new 3-series is very good. If you can wait, I'd get that especially if you are leaning towards carrying adult rear passengers regularly.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:46 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Go for it Jimmy. I thought about a similar move but ultimately decided i wanted a completely different DD experience (non-sporty). Probably going Range Rover but still chewing on it. I think the contrast between a total luxury SUV during the week, and a sharp-edged sports car for the weekend would help me appreciate both more. But whatever works for you is all that matters!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:55 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I almost bought an M2 Competition as another DD since I was rear ended with one of my DDs 2 months ago. Manual is difficult for me, given traffic on my commute, so it would have to be DCT. In the end, I need a bit more space since my current car assembly is not very practical, so ended up getting an M5 Competition with everything added, for a bit more comfort. Don't have the car yet, but we'll see. I still have my eyes on an M2 Comp for DD, maybe after i return one of my leases. Cool car, and I think >> RS3.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by br911
I almost bought an M2 Competition as another DD since I was rear ended with one of my DDs 2 months ago. Manual is difficult for me, given traffic on my commute, so it would have to be DCT. In the end, I need a bit more space since my current car assembly is not very practical, so ended up getting an M5 Competition with everything added, for a bit more comfort. Don't have the car yet, but we'll see. I still have my eyes on an M2 Comp for DD, maybe after i return one of my leases. Cool car, and I think >> RS3.
They had a White M5 Competition there, as well. Certainly looked the part. I just like smaller cars. My Wife has a Mercedes SUV that she rarely uses so we can always use that when need more room.

The M2, in my opinion, is one of the better BMWs they have don in some time. Certainly better looking than the M4/M3

Just did not know how the M2 would do in the snow. Granted- we do not get as much snow here in Chicago like some would think though.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:53 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

I went in to get an M2 comp but ended up walking out with a new F90 M5 last month. Love the way the M2 looked but I figured for a second car I preferred having a larger backseat and more trunk space and the tech was way better in the 5. Finally the main clincher was the new AWD capability in the M5 which will come in handy in the crappy northeast winters. Hard to really go wrong with either though.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:56 PM
porsche518
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 28 Posts

My DD is a M6gc competition package with dinanstage 2 on it. I absolutely love it as a DD.

Last edited by porsche518; 11-02-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:23 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jimmy, I traded my LCI M2 for the '19 M2C in Sept. Like you my weekend warrior is a 6MT .2 GT3. My M2C is a stick as well and my DD.

I feel the Competition model is superior in every way to the original; that goes for sound too. Sport+ engine dynamics setting provides excellent throttle response and great sound. You can now program two 'M' settings (engine & steering) on the two wheel mounted buttons. I love that.

S55 is very rev happy, linear power delivery and smooth. Front brake rotors as you've noticed are over 15" in diameter w/ 6 piston Brembo calipers. The carbon strut tower brace firms up the handling and looks beautiful.

Spec: Hockenheim Silver / Exec Pk / Stick. HS is gorgeous in person.

Last edited by 911dev; 11-02-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:37 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
They had a White M5 Competition there, as well. Certainly looked the part. I just like smaller cars. My Wife has a Mercedes SUV that she rarely uses so we can always use that when need more room.

The M2, in my opinion, is one of the better BMWs they have don in some time. Certainly better looking than the M4/M3

Just did not know how the M2 would do in the snow. Granted- we do not get as much snow here in Chicago like some would think though.
M3/4 were never considered in my case - I prefer either a small, agile, great handling small car for DD, or a larger sedan for more comfort and space, that can be used for other purposes, but still with a good, tight, suspension, not much body roll ( I know, not really possible with a 5 series but at least minimized) and good torque. M3/4 are neither in my opinion. M2 Comp in my radar screen, for sure. In fact, one could even have fun in the track with it. I've never owned BMW by he way. We'll see.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:53 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Seems an M2 is not all that more practical as a DD than a GT3, no?
Old 11-02-2018, 03:20 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

^less attention grabbing, probably better in the rain (my commute is 25 miles each way, and in the rare occasion that it rains in SoCal, Roads get dangerous). Probably more comfortable on a daily basis, even though I put 80K miles commuting in Porsches with no issues, apart from racer wannabees trying to chase me on the road, which I ignore. But in my case I agree with this assessment, so decided to get a big one. Also, M2 Comp is 1/3 of GT3 price. One more point, driving a Porsche on a daily basis for work takes a bit of the special feel one has when taking a car out for fun driving. I got bored.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:18 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I picked up a 19 m5 competition over the summer, been a great dd...
Old 11-02-2018, 04:36 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
If I am with some Customers they can squeeze in to the back .
If you seriously take customers out, I would stick with the 550i. I DD a Ford Explorer for three reasons. 1) I can beat the crap out of it and not care. 2) Customers/Vendors don't think I'm making too much money off them. 3) It makes driving my 911's that much more exciting.

If taking customers out was a joke, then by all means, get the 2.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:48 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

I owned a 2018 M2 for 9 months, which is about normal for me
very good car , I loved the size of the car
engine was good but not special and the seats were off/annoying
M2C fixed these 2 problems ... seats from M3 and engine from the M3
having said I replaced the M2 with an M3 competition , and have no regrets ... M3 is a better car overall for a variety of reasons
one thing I will caution you about is driving in snow: I had snow tires on M2 and it was scary to drive in snow , fish tailing etc
and for the record , I drove a c63 , and 2015 M3 in the snow , and I would say that M2 was the least stable car in the snow I have driven
all cars driven in same general area with snow tires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I pull the trigger for DD