991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 GT3 vs 2019 GT3 on track- actively updating

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

I agree that PDK shouldn't be expected to be significantly faster than manual for a decent driver. Downshifting while braking shouldn't really impact lap time, and upshifting isn't that big of a deal.

Comparing the times noted in this thread versus official 'ring times, seems that:

- .2 RS time gets a lot of help from the Cup 2 R tires.
- .1 RS time is too conservative.
- .2 RS isn't a lot faster than .1 GT3

Yes?

Regarding Randy Pobst lap times, of course he's a very legit pro, but a couple of guys at my local track (Summit Point) have posted times in the GT4 similar to Randy's time. So hobbyist/amateur drivers can sometimes get pretty close to the pros.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:16 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Epic thread. I agree with everyone else - I can't believe you are doing this test at Sonoma!

Can't wait for video/podcast!
Old 11-02-2018, 07:19 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

ThrottleDogs Podcast subscriber here, good stuff...keep em' coming guys!
Old 11-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd

+1, the only advantage as I see it for PDK is the launch. I still feel the clutch in my .2 GT3 is not well matched for the car (too light and do not like the feel). Once rolling and at speed it can be shifted very quickly due to the rev match/no lift.
Nope. While for a lap or two you might be close with an mt over the course of a 30 min to longer race the mt disadvantage grows in both longer shift times and likely shifting mistakes.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

Nope. While for a lap or two you might be close with an mt over the course of a 30 min to longer race the mt disadvantage grows in both longer shift times and likely shifting mistakes.
I’ve flubbed 2 shifts over 11 days (not over-rev mistakes)
Old 11-02-2018, 08:26 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Refreshing to see a thread not about allocations, PTS, or ADM. Keep it coming!

There's definitely a lot of time left on the table for the GT3/RS based on what some of the local amateurs are doing, but its nice to have a back to back comparison between the various cars.

I would love to see you do the same at Laguna. Sonoma doesn't have much in straights so the McLarens don't really show their true potential. I expect that both the 675LT and 720S would be much faster than any GT3 at Laguna.

The new RS should be a 1:32:xx car at Laguna with an experienced amateur driver.

You should also get a GT2 RS in the mix!
Old 11-02-2018, 08:58 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

And waxer how many people actually 'road race' these GT3's and GT3 RS's?

And I promise you... if the better driver is in the MT car.. it doesn't matter how long the event is... the faster driver is the faster driver.

PDK makes it easier, and can be a tenth or two quicker all out... and maybe more than that if someone doesn't know how to shift.

Most are doing DE events (of the small % that even take theirs on a track) and are lucky to be out for 15 minutes, and might get 10 minutes of clean lap time.

Drive what you enjoy.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 11-02-2018, 09:11 PM
Macduc
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Awesome thread!

I'm very curious to see how much faster the .2 RS is than the .1. If the car is very much improved, 1:46 or better at Sonoma should be a no brainer.

My 991.1 RS did 1:47.2 with bunch of mistakes.
Can I ask where you got your gloves?
Old 11-02-2018, 09:15 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I would think they may not be worth it from a pricing standpoint if you are tracking a lot.

I do not track but love the feel and bite thy have. I took the plunge from my .1 GT3 that had the irons to my GT4 that I got PCCB and I told all I was going to give them a try because I had some good coin left over from the trade.

Hence- I ordered my .2 GT3 with PCCBs- that should say how i feel
You might be right, Jimmy, but don’t we have replacement options that are close enough in costs to mitigate the dramatic difference? I hear you on ordering the PCCBs. It just felt wrong to get a high performance car and not go full **** on the brakes. I mean...the brakes!
Old 11-02-2018, 09:16 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
CJ has established his credibility on this board long before he was a dealer. I don't think you need to worry about his motivation in this case.
Agree 100% Grant.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:15 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Ok so-

Keep in mind my times were no warm up, no wheels off, no prize money...just a steady effort level

The PCCB to me has a more confidence inspiring initial bite. I also enjoy the way that the car soaks up bumps with a little less mass to change directions...that to me is noticeable. I really like the hard bite and especially on the PDK cars the left foot braking is really good.

Let the record state that I have owned personally (not blind bias)
997 GT3 iron
997.1RS pccb
997.2 RS iron
4.0RS iron
4.0RS pccb
4.0RS pccb
991RS pccb
991RS iron
991RS iron

991.2RS pccb is my current car. I also have PCCB on my '18 GTS (manual) and track it a lot with PCA dudes.

The PCCB has a negligible impact on overall price of a 210k car. It's 3-4% of a GT3RS msrp. It's a bigger weight savings than a carbon roof and carbon steering wheel.

I think Porsche brakes are fantastic and the PCCB allows my style of driving the most confidence and aggressive performance on the street during fun canyon stuff as well.

This has nothing to do with selling cars- 2-3 of you are going to get an allocation from me max anyway...LOL.

On a serious note - the new GT cars are hot fire.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:24 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Ok so-

Keep in mind my times were no warm up, no wheels off, no prize money...just a steady effort level

The PCCB to me has a more confidence inspiring initial bite. I also enjoy the way that the car soaks up bumps with a little less mass to change directions...that to me is noticeable. I really like the hard bite and especially on the PDK cars the left foot braking is really good.

997 GT3 iron
997.1RS pccb
997.2 RS iron
4.0RS iron
4.0RS pccb
4.0RS pccb
991RS pccb
991RS iron
991RS iron

991.2RS pccb is my current car. I also have PCCB on my '18 GTS (manual) and track it a lot with PCA dudes.

The PCCB has a negligible impact on overall price of a 210k car. It's 3-4% of a GT3RS msrp. It's a bigger weight savings than a carbon roof and carbon steering wheel.

I think Porsche brakes are fantastic and the PCCB allows my style of driving the most confidence and aggressive performance on the street during fun canyon stuff as well.

This has nothing to do with selling cars- 2-3 of you are going to get an allocation from me max anyway...LOL.

I've said it before and I'll say it again here.

I love the PCCBs, especially for track duty.

I would never buy another GT car that didn't have PCCBs.

And, yes, I have driven the exact same cars, a 991 GT3 (one with irons and with PCCBs), same day, same track, back-to-back and the 991 GT3 with PCCBs was noticeably better, more confidence inspiring.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:44 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Ok so-

997 GT3 iron
997.1RS pccb
997.2 RS iron
4.0RS iron
4.0RS pccb
4.0RS pccb
991RS pccb
991RS iron
991RS iron

Hot fire is well put. I've got a little mileage on my .2RS now and I'm starting to love that car.
Right on C.J. I'm really looking forward to your show. Sounds epic.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

I've driven several 991.1 GT3s on track, including mine. All had the iron rotors (including mine, and I've tried various pads), except one that had PCCB. I was shocked by how much better the PCCB felt - much more feel, better modulation, and sure did seem like better handling due to less unsprung mass. I've been jealous of the PCCB ever since.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:11 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

I’ve flubbed 2 shifts over 11 days (not over-rev mistakes)
If you it were PDK it would have been 0 flubs. 😉

Quick Reply: 2018 GT3 vs 2019 GT3 on track- actively updating