Sponsored by:

Post Your Stripes/Vinyl - Official 991 GT Car Stripes and Vinyl Database

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:56 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NS2 Media
I want to kick off the discussion with something I have been noticing when it comes to 911 R side stripe kits. We have provided design and consulting services for over 50 911 R side stripe vinyl kits. In a typical 911 R side stripe kit design we will create a series of renderings to help select the general colors for the main stripe and the "PORSCHE" lettering. The next step then is to help the client decide whether or not the stripes will be done via CXX, or an aftermarket company.

Doing the stripes via CXX adds a perceived value to the car, and assures the stripes will be properly fitted, and of course appear as OEM as possible. When done from the factory, the 911 R side stripes are cut, trimmed, and fit in a very specific fashion (though this isn't to say sometimes the factory gets a vinyl color wrong, or install technique varies from vehicle to vehicle). When it comes to aftermarket 911 R side stripe kits, typically a lot of faith is placed in the installer to reference photos online of an OEM kit to assure everything is fit properly. It is important to note that even if an installer masters the fitting, it is still possible the actual vinyl kit purchased by the client is using the incorrect version of the "PORSCHE" logo, has the logo centered incorrectly, or has incorrect stripe dimensions.

Here is an example showing the characteristics of an OEM 911 R style side stripe:

You will note:
  • The stripes DO NOT wrap around into either of the wheel wells. They are actually trimmed short. Doing this saves the leading edge of the vinyl from excessive stone chips that could potentially destroy the portion of the stripe on the fender or rear quarter panel. When the stripes are wrapped around into the wheel wells this is the easiest way to tell it is a non-OEM stripe kit.
  • The stripes also DO NOT wrap fully around the edges of the door. I have noticed though that some 991.2 CXX cars DO have the vinyl wrapped around the edges. So I think this portion of the install at Porsche is usually dependent upon the installer at CXX.
  • The "PORSCHE" logo is centered in reference to the door
  • The rake of the stripe follows the rake of the door's lower shutline, rather than being ground level. I have found this to vary between some CXX kits and 911 R's however though following the rake of the door is most common.
Here are several photos from 1Gunner showing his OEM CXX 911 R side stripes. You will see the install is consistent with the criteria specified above, but unlike most 911 R's has the vinyl wrapped around the door edges:

Now, this isn't to say any aftermarket kit that isn't installed to OEM CXX specifications is "wrong"- but we just wanted to detail these nuances for members that are as OCD as we are about these things!

Some owners see vinyl as a cheap, quick, and easy way to change up the look of the car, and that is fine. There are plenty of cost effective options out there for changing up the look. We have some clients that swap out stripe kits on a bi-yearly basis. However, if you are an owner that is concerned with having the most factory possible fit and finish on your striping kit and intend on leaving it on for a long time, we think it is extremely important that a certain criteria is met with the production and installation of the vinyl.

Feel free to ask any specific questions about choosing the correct stripe kit for you in this thread or shoot us a message and we'd love to chat!
Can anyone give me the measurement of how far the bottom of the lower stripe is from the bottom edge of the door? (How far up is the lower stripe from the bottom of the door). Also would be helpful to know measurements from ground to bottom edge of stripes at front and rear wheel openings.

Sam
Old 02-14-2019, 08:10 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Installed this on my buddy's GT3RS the other day. Now I need to come up with something for my car.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:21 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
Installed this on my buddy's GT3RS the other day. Now I need to come up with something for my car.

I like it. Works on the lizard beautifully.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:16 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Need your opinions on which stripe looks better on my Graphite Blue Touring Just installed them and trying to decide which I like best. Raining outside today so not great pictures.

Sam

Silver stripe with Black Logo

Matt Black stripe with Yellow Logo
Old 02-15-2019, 04:00 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

Last edited by Itzkirb; 02-15-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:06 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SamG
Need your opinions on which stripe looks better on my Graphite Blue Touring Just installed them and trying to decide which I like best. Raining outside today so not great pictures.

Sam

My vote is the silver and black. Ties in better with the car. Esp if you have standard AL bits in the interior (vents, shifter, door pulls etc). My experience with the darker script is that it looks like a “black box” in pics but IRL it is far more satisfying.
My 2c.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Old 02-15-2019, 09:27 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SamG

Sam

i like the yellow. Little bit of color in a sad blue black and silver world.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:46 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond

i like the yellow. Little bit of color in a sad blue black and silver world.
everyone different taste but I like all light or med grey ... discrete and classic
Old 02-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by fjpdds

911R style added. I like it.
just right I think...classic
Old 02-16-2019, 08:29 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Provie

My vote is the silver and black. Ties in better with the car. Esp if you have standard AL bits in the interior (vents, shifter, door pulls etc). My experience with the darker script is that it looks like a “black box” in pics but IRL it is far more satisfying.
My 2c.

nonwrong answer...but I’d be doing the black logo silver stripe...little more subtle in keeping with the discreet concept of the car.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:05 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

IROC stripe.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:11 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx

IROC stripe.
Was admiring your car during DRT - hands down one of my favorite GT3 builds, and loved all the added exterior CF touches. Enjoy in good health!
Old 02-16-2019, 03:42 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Was admiring your car during DRT - hands down one of my favorite GT3 builds, and loved all the added exterior CF touches. Enjoy in good health!
Thanks, great show, lot of terrific Porsches.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:46 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Brewster Green

Needing some TLC

Quick Reply: Post Your Stripes/Vinyl - Official 991 GT Car Stripes and Vinyl Database