Sponsored by:

European Delivery: Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:32 PM
Chuckuzzo
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default European Delivery: Looking for suggestions

My ED was set for middle of Nov 14th. I know I know... Big weather risk... but had to do it to accommodate my wife’s schedule. I even book my flight a week earlier than the wife’s just to be able to attend the last TF weekend of the Nordscheilife... Unfortunately, a few weeks ago, The Nurburgring changed the schedule and moved the last TF weekend from 17/18th to 10/11th weekend. So I am out of luck to be able to check off completing one lap of the Ring on my bucket list.

I’m looking for suggestions on what to do now that I can’t visit the Nordscheilife... Any good driving tours starting from Stuttgart?

Drive thru the Black Forest?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Chuck
Old 10-30-2018, 09:01 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

There are numerous posts on here regarding EDs and what to do.

1) Ask the boss (wife)
2) STFF RL

Old 10-30-2018, 10:31 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

Go to Baden Baden with the wife; The spas are relaxing. My wife likes it there. Plus if weather permits can drive the Black Forest Highway that starts in Baden Baden. Otherwise, recommend chase to weather, drive to where it’s nicest and enjoy
Old 10-30-2018, 11:51 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mother is a world class travel agent and can put together an itinerary that suits the weather. I'd head south to Italy and along the French Riviera. Happy to help

http://mcgeheetravel.com
Old 10-31-2018, 12:05 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckuzzo
My ED was set for middle of Nov 14th. I know I know... Big weather risk... but had to do it to accommodate my wife’s schedule. I even book my flight a week earlier than the wife’s just to be able to attend the last TF weekend of the Nordscheilife... Unfortunately, a few weeks ago, The Nurburgring changed the schedule and moved the last TF weekend from 17/18th to 10/11th weekend. So I am out of luck to be able to check off completing one lap of the Ring on my bucket list.

I’m looking for suggestions on what to do now that I can’t visit the Nordscheilife... Any good driving tours starting from Stuttgart?

Drive thru the Black Forest?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Chuck
Not sure if you're aware, but there's an entire forum on Rennlist devoted to European delivery. Lots of good suggestions and itineraries. I did Lucerne, Grindelwald, Strasbourg and Heidelberg. Nice low pressure loop of relatively non-touristy cities, including driving through the Black Forest. (I found the Black Forest to be overrated).
Old 10-31-2018, 03:28 AM
Chuckuzzo
Advanced

Didn’t realize there was a whole forum dedicated to ED... will travel back to last week to do my research now.

Appreciate the offer for travel agency. Going to do my part on the research first.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:41 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

Also recommend Merano Italy; it’s not a far drive from stuttgart and tends to have a mild climate. Plus, it’s right in the center of a lot of mountain passes in every direction that are amazing to drive. It’s a beautiful old town with things to see, plus again a nice huge spa to relax in with the wife. Porsche actually uses Merano as a base for one it’s driving tours. I’ve stayed at the Hotel attached to the spa a few times, it’s nice and has underground parking
Old 10-31-2018, 01:45 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Also recommend Merano Italy; it’s not a far drive from stuttgart and tends to have a mild climate. Plus, it’s right in the center of a lot of mountain passes in every direction that are amazing to drive. It’s a beautiful old town with things to see, plus again a nice huge spa to relax in with the wife. Porsche actually uses Merano as a base for one it’s driving tours. I’ve stayed at the Hotel attached to the spa a few times, it’s nice and has underground parking
I second the Merano suggestion. IMO, the Italian Alps are an under-rated European destination (for many Americans). I stayed in Avelengo (just outside of Merano) for several days this summer at a newish spa/hotel called San Luis. Outstanding. Not sure about the fall weather however.
(photos of hotel and the scenery outside of nearby Bolzano)

Name:  photo201.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  285.8 KBName:  photo744.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  276.7 KB
Old 11-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Chuckuzzo
Advanced

Looks fantastic! Many thanks for sharing and suggesting. Definitely looking into it.

Chuck
Old 11-01-2018, 04:24 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I don't know about the weather situation and if you will be running winter tires, but if possible highly recommend Black Forest in Germany / route 500 Schwarzwaldhochstrasse and the surrounding area for a daytime awesome drive. I went in mid-April and it was just brilliant, but some snow too. Something fun nearby to Stuttgart (non driving stuff) is Motorworld in Sindelfingen (huge awesome dealership and a lot of enthusiasts drive over to visit). Highly highly recommend the Benz Museum as well, I liked it quite a bit more than the Porsche Museum actually (much larger too). Otherwise count me in as another highly recommending going south to Italy, it was actually the highlight of my ED trip this past Spring. Just getting to Italy through the Swiss passes was a bit hairy for me (snow EVERYWHERE) and I had the OEM Dunlops on. Best of luck and have an awesome trip
Old 11-01-2018, 04:46 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

I am doing ED right now.
We went to Baden-Baden, Strasbourg, Colmar and Eguisheim.
Next through the black forest to Triberg waterfalls....great driving roads there, but snowy 2 days ago!
In Munich now....day trip to Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and Linderhof castles today....spectacular scenery.
On to Herrenchiemsee, Salzburg, Hallstatt then Vienna for two nights
finishing in Prague for 2 days, then Wurzberg and Rothenburg...returning car at factory (snow tires) then home.

Was going to do Swiss alpine roads, but weather precluded it.

still a great scenic and historic route

Old 11-02-2018, 01:26 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

your european delivery package should have an ED travel guide in it. I think Black Forest would be nice if the weather holds up. Its a gamble in November though. Good luck and hoping for no snow!

Old 11-02-2018, 03:01 AM
Chuckuzzo
Advanced

Thanks for sharing guys! Keep them coming!

Old 11-02-2018, 03:02 AM
Chuckuzzo
Advanced

Thanks for sharing guys! Keep them coming!

Quick Reply: European Delivery: Looking for suggestions