Sponsored by:

Need help on Porsche Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:32 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Need help on Porsche Track Precision App

I'm able to record video and telemetry using the app but not able to get it to record any sound even though I made sure the app has the permission to record sound via the mic. Can someone chime in as I don't even know who to ask at the dealership for this? Porsche needs a tech support line for this, wait.. Rennlist IS the support forum.
BTW my app doesn't see the car's wifi from time to time, but closing it and restarting it restores the connection.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:43 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This doesn't answer your questions directly so apologies for that. I will share what I learnt at the PEC LA when I picked up my car two weeks ago as this was the only question I had for them when taking delivery - "how do you make the track app work?". Here's the response/s:
- Car and phone need to be connected by wifi - no need for Bluetooth to be connected.
- Phone needs to be connected to car's wifi in order to talk to it and retrieve data
- As you mention sometime app needs to be re-loaded so will need to switch off car wifi, load app and then re-connect with car's wifi
- It's actually pretty simple but even the guy at PEC said sometimes the app just does not work
- They have been talking with the mothership about this for sometime and basically nobody knows why sometimes it does and sometimes does not work - it is a crap shoot
- They are working on resolving the intermittent working of the app but have no time frame
Old 10-30-2018, 08:21 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

How do you know it's not recording sound? If you try to play back the video on your phone through the app, with just the phone and nothing hooked up, you will not hear sound. But if you play the video through the app with the phone still connected to car's WIFI, you will hear the audio. And if you export the video to a file on your computer, the audio will also be there.

BUT...

If you watch the exported video with telemetry data on your computer it will have a weird ticking noise. To get rid of the noise, you have to export the video/audio/data as separate files. Then separate the audio from the video file with telemetry. Then overlay the audio from the video file WITHOUT telemetry onto the video with telemetry to get clean audio. It's really stupid.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:10 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
How do you know it's not recording sound? If you try to play back the video on your phone through the app, with just the phone and nothing hooked up, you will not hear sound.
Not sure this is correct, I can hear the Audio on the phone speakers through the app.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:42 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by tgibrit
Not sure this is correct, I can hear the Audio on the phone speakers through the app.
I do not. That is why I asked the OP. The app is so buggy sometimes I bet you get sound on some devices but not others.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Save yourself the frustration and brain damage and get a VBOX.
You’re welcome!
Old 11-01-2018, 09:43 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Save yourself the frustration and brain damage and get a VBOX.
You’re welcome!
probably heading that route.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:25 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

How do you know it's not recording sound? If you try to play back the video on your phone through the app, with just the phone and nothing hooked up, you will not hear sound. But if you play the video through the app with the phone still connected to car's WIFI, you will hear the audio. And if you export the video to a file on your computer, the audio will also be there.

BUT...

If you watch the exported video with telemetry data on your computer it will have a weird ticking noise. To get rid of the noise, you have to export the video/audio/data as separate files. Then separate the audio from the video file with telemetry. Then overlay the audio from the video file WITHOUT telemetry onto the video with telemetry to get clean audio. It's really stupid.
I hear no sound when I play back the video on the phone, then if I export the video, the app records the sound the phone hears DURING the export process. This thing is so dumb but I just wanted it to work as I already paid for it. This is the only thing about the car that is bugging me.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:30 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by bli8
I hear no sound when I play back the video on the phone, then if I export the video, the app records the sound the phone hears DURING the export process. This thing is so dumb but I just wanted it to work as I already paid for it. This is the only thing about the car that is bugging me.
That is strange. I haven't heard about that problem before. I hear no sound while playing on my phone. But if I export, the sound is there. But it has that ticking noise. There are a few different ways to export the audio/video/data. Have you tried each one?

Also as far as paying for the app... it should be free. It was free for me in the app store. Just downloaded it about a month or two ago.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:02 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Angry

That is strange. I haven't heard about that problem before. I hear no sound while playing on my phone. But if I export, the sound is there. But it has that ticking noise. There are a few different ways to export the audio/video/data. Have you tried each one?

Also as far as paying for the app... it should be free. It was free for me in the app store. Just downloaded it about a month or two ago.
App is free but we pay for the Sport Chrono packaage w/ track prep.
When I have some time, I'm going to reinstall the app to see if this fixes the audio issue, if not I'll install the app on another cell phone to see if it's a model or OS specific issue.
Sigh.... and I'm a Microsoft Certified System Engineer and worked as Unix system admin in the 80's, formed my PC company, built and designed computers with CPM//MPM operating system (before Windows was even launched), webmaster for top websites, designed Android and IOS apps, and Chief Technology Officer of three telecommunication companies in the past 2 decades and was always able to solve my IT problems, so I don't want to admit defeat of not able to get the audio to work!!!
Old 11-01-2018, 02:12 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

I have been very displeased with the Porsche Track App.

My old iPhone6 connects to the GT3RS wi-fi and the app sort of works. My iPhoneX connects to the RS wi-fi but the app never detects the iPhoneX. No idea where to call to have this resolved.

I have a SOLO DL and SmartyCam but it is the old standard resolution CAM, not the new one. New SC is $1000, while GoPros are $200 (but no data display except by using PC tools).
Old 11-01-2018, 07:24 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A/S
I have been very displeased with the Porsche Track App.

My old iPhone6 connects to the GT3RS wi-fi and the app sort of works. My iPhoneX connects to the RS wi-fi but the app never detects the iPhoneX. No idea where to call to have this resolved.

I have a SOLO DL and SmartyCam but it is the old standard resolution CAM, not the new one. New SC is $1000, while GoPros are $200 (but no data display except by using PC tools).
there was a wifi bug they only very recently fixed, have you installed the latest update.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:20 PM
lisocayman
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

It’s so frustrating that it almost never works on custom tracks. I’ve tried everything and it plain sucks. It always loses connection with the car. I haven’t tried it on known tracks so I just use HLT. I want this app to work so much but Porsche isn’t good with phone apps. Look at car connect, it’s a joke. The UI is from like iOS 4.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:10 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

The simplest way to ALWAYS get the Porsche Track App to work, is to always select 'Record New Track'... and then once on track... select 'Set Start/Finish'. When you do this, it works 100% of the time.

If you try to 'reference' your previously saved lap... I've seen it not record properly.

One 'recent update' I haven't quite figured out... is that when you export the video, it no longer keeps the Throttle/Steering/G-Force data... I can only get that to show on my iphone... but when downloading/exporting, I do get the video/sound perfectly, but lose the 'virtual gauges'.

Best Regards,
Dave

Quick Reply: Need help on Porsche Track Precision App