Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   .1 vs .2 RS real world performance (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1108577-1-vs-2-rs-real-world-performance.html)

KBS911 10-29-2018 08:04 PM

.1 vs .2 RS real world performance

So, interesting weekend at Sebring with my buddy in his new 19 .2 GT3 RS vs my new to me .1 GT3 RS. He had 1300+ miles on his car vs 2900 on my .1. First time out on the track with our new rides and we were admittedly a bit tentative as we tried to get a feel for our cars. We both had 15 GT3's and are quite familiar with Sebring as it's home track for the both of us. Our times were similar, low to mid 2.20's as we felt the cars out. What surprised the both of us is that the cars are essentially dead even on acceleration as multiple runs from 17 to 1, 7 to 10, and 16 to 17 proved, and believe me we worked to prove it. Bottom line, both cars are very capable, and much easier to get used to than we expected. I think on a smoother track the .2 would have more of an advantage, as we heard from some that the more stiffly sprung .2 can be somewhat more unsettling on the bumpy Sebring track than the .1. In any event a fun weekend and we got the butterflies behind us. What sweet cars!

sechsgang 10-31-2018 08:23 PM

Pretty interesting, though likely what I'd imagine most real world results to be.

TRAKCAR 10-31-2018 08:49 PM

Looks like we will continue testing setups on my .1RS and .2RS.
My next time is Dec 8+9.

KBS911 11-01-2018 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 15400995)
Looks like we will continue testing setups on my .1RS and .2RS.
My next time is Dec 8+9.

Can't wait to see the results. Been following your exploits with your .1. Great driving! Don't think I'll ever see the teens, but better drivers may well take advantage of the difference between the .1 and .2 RS's. As it was, as a weekend warrior, I was very pleased with my .1's performance, and thought that there might be a more significant difference between the two cars Might be the track too. Porsche doesn't make a slower car than it's predecessor, but it is satisfying to at least remain in the ballpark.

TRAKCAR 11-01-2018 07:21 AM

^^ Yes, I’m 100% sure the .2RS setup, specifically the spring rates are faster on most or all tracks besides Sebring, even on an otherwise stock .1RS with the .2 RS springs. But for Sebring it was just too much with stock bars and dampers.

I’m selling all my hardware to refit the springs on a .1RS if anyone is interested and now TBD if the Manthey 3 way adjustable damper / spring (Virtually same as .2RS spring rates) setup will work with the oem bars at Sebring.

Manthey knows what they are doing and Porsche follows.
But the Ring isn’t Sebring and perhaps I need to take some spring out with the KW dampers, as I suspect it will be the case for the .2RS with OEM dampers.
But only for Sebring!

With stiffer springs the .1RS is so much better, took all the wallow out of the car and gave me so much more adjustability in car placement mid corner.

The big unanswered question I have is; What are the anti roll bar ranges of stiffness front and rear of the .1RS and .2RS?
Anyone know?

JCR-Porsche 11-01-2018 07:28 AM

Found very similar here too, certainly on the road there is very little discernible difference between the two.

We're running a 991.1 RS vs 991.2 RS shootout on 12th of this month at Silverstone GP circuit, same driver same day. We will be filming so ill share once we have that video ready.

JC

TRAKCAR 11-01-2018 07:48 AM

^^ :jumper:
On Silverstone, I'm sure it will be a big difference, look forward to the report.

KBS911 11-01-2018 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche (Post 15401728)
Found very similar here too, certainly on the road there is very little discernible difference between the two.

We're running a 991.1 RS vs 991.2 RS shootout on 12th of this month at Silverstone GP circuit, same driver same day. We will be filming so ill share once we have that video ready.

JC

Now that will be an interesting report! Looking forward to it.

CDinSing 11-01-2018 02:50 PM

I was in the .2RS and could not make any ground on Ken in the straights. I could catch him under braking and in turns but only on the back of the course where I felt comfortable pushing a bit. Gavin trying to keep me out of the walls, advised me to watch for oversteer in 17 and 1, so I was a bit tentative with exit throttle expecting the stiff springs to cause oversteer. I never experienced any but wasn’t pushing. Looking at my Harry’s data I was slower than my GT3 in those corners. I think that was too conservative. So Ken pullled away there and I had to catch him later in the course. I could push harder in 3-7 and get the car to turn exactly where I wanted it, and was never at the limit. There was definitely more time in the “smooth” sections. I expected entry understeer and only found it in turn 10 but my speeds were 10 mph higher than my GT3. That tells me I was under driving the car over the rest of the course and I just need to get some confidence with it. Overall it was a second faster than my best time in the GT3 which was ok for a first weekend.

TRAKCAR 11-01-2018 08:38 PM

I haven't had time to look at the data of these 2 laps with KW VS OEM shocks with .2RS springs.
I screwed myself with used R7 tires.

These fronts corded 3 sessions later and the rears were new, so the understeer is more than it will be on new tires.
After these laps the car got better overall by softening both low and high speed compression front and rear coming from a middle setup, but I couldn't go faster due to tires gone.
Thinking the fronts were better then they actually were, I chased the understeer but nothing worked of course.

I have all the notes but between all the changes to the car, track and weather, its near impossible to get more info from it.

A/S 11-01-2018 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 15403334)
I haven't had time to look at the data of these 2 laps with KW VS OEM shocks with .2RS springs.
I screwed myself with used R7 tires.

These fronts corded 3 sessions later and the rears were new, so the understeer is more than it will be on new tires.
After these laps the car got better overall by softening both low and high speed compression front and rear coming from a middle setup, but I couldn't go faster due to tires gone.
Thinking the fronts were better then they actually were, I chased the understeer but nothing worked of course.

I have all the notes but between all the changes to the car, track and weather, its near impossible to get more info from it.

https://youtu.be/eB03-hKXvt4

Without going deep into the lap visuals (and they help a lot on data analysis), I can see the RPMs jumping on acceleration zones, meaning that the car is over damped or over sprung for the surface.

I have run 1200# and 1600# rear springs at Sebring in a 2900# car with a mid engine, no aero and matching shocks, and I haven't had those RPM jumps.

So, remove low speed compression, remove low speed rebound, and remove high speed compression as well (the one you use for track imperfections), then dial up from there (low-s compression, then low-s rebound, then high-s compression).

Awesome driving. October has been hot. Air temperatures 30 degrees cooler would take 2 seconds off of that lap not changing anything else, more if it gets cooler.

Based on your results, I think it is feasible to setup a 991.1 GT3 RS to run under 2:10s at Sebring while keeping the A/C, radio, and a full interior.

KBS911 11-01-2018 09:00 PM

Front was going for sure, but nice driving!!

wanna911 11-03-2018 03:20 PM

I didn't talk to the guy to know if he had reference times but there was a guy at Road Atlanta this past weekend who did 1:31.5 in a stock .2. He put on Hoosiers (R7) for Sunday and did 1:30.5. And that was near the end of the day and several laps into the session. Then, drove home on the Hoosiers. Lol.

TRAKCAR 11-04-2018 04:10 AM

^^ I kinda suck at Road ATL in the 991, but 1.30 is crazy fast!!

GT3 or RS?