Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat tire/P Road Side Assistance

Old 10-28-2018, 08:58 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Flat tire/P Road Side Assistance

I was finally able to get to the mountains today and hit some fun roads. We definitely have some great driving roads in the NC mountains. It was fun until the rear passenger tire started losing air and I made a run to add air and hope that it would hold long enough until I got home. Unfortunately that didn't last long as the tire flatted shortly after that. Car only has 1400 miles so I must have picked up some debris and punctured the tire.

It was over a 6 hour ordeal with Porsche Road Side Assistance. If anybody gets into this situation make sure you bypass the auto mode that tries to locate you by GPS and set everything up via your phone. You'll lose your mind on the side of the road doing this as opposed to talking to somebody live. Even after getting somebody live they sent a flat bed that was in no way equipped to flatbed a GT3. The driver was more concerned with me signing a damage waiver than trying to get another flat bed or help in anyway. I obviously refused signing that and the flatbed as car would have been mangled on both ends to make it on the flatbed. That was 2 1/2 hours without any progress.

I ended up talking to PRA again and was pretty specific on what was needed and how the car was very low. I thought I was pretty clear before when I talked them and hence why I'm hoping to save you some trouble. They need to contact the towing company and find out if they are equipped to handle low profile cars and have the ramps to accommodate the car. Not little pieces of wood but extended race ramps along with all sorts of pices of wood...

The second flatbed came about 3 hours later and was equipped properly but it was still a lot of work. We finally got the car to the dealer after 6 plus hours after the tire went.

I know there is a lot more bigger issues going on in the world today but if this can save you some time and get you home quicker it'll be worth it.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Can you not use a slime kit on centerlocks?

Porsche slime kit takes about 20 minutes to fix a flat.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Can you not use a slime kit on centerlocks?

Porsche slime kit takes about 20 minutes to fix a flat.
GT3 does come with the slime, afaik (I know my GT4 did). Never tried it myself...
Old 10-28-2018, 09:40 PM
poison123
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 10-28-2018, 09:44 PM
spyd
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for this info because as a new owner of a 2012 Carrera 997.2 GTS with center-lock wheels I've got a high degree of paranoia of the dreaded flat with no spare or way to address the situation other than call for help. I live in Eastern NC, but also love our mtn. roads and use to run them in my '68 912 targa as often as possible and lately on my motorcycles.....great roads! Some of the roads up there would be extremely difficult for a flatbed tow to get to you. Was a dealership open for you to be towed to today?
Old 10-28-2018, 09:54 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

luckily I was 5 minutes from home when this happened. Made it into the garage with 10 psi in the tire.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:48 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 78 Posts

There is a can of VW fix a flat in the trunk but I was past the point of sealing anything with the way my tire went. Since I had some time to do some reading I did look at what the solution that was offered versus conventional methods (spare/donut). My thinking was it was good if you had a slow leak, had some time and weren't on the side of a highway. But for a blowout it wouldn't have sealed. I think all of that was in place to alleviate people that wanted to have some option versus nothing. I can attest it's not really an option at least for my case.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:46 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

I sealed up a 1 inch slit and was able to make it home. The tire held air for three days and I was able to drive it to the dealer. The goo is great stuff, stays liquid in the tire and allows you to pour the remaining out when you fix the tire. I did get a white strip in my wheel well which washed off. This probably wouldn't be an issue with just a nail puncture.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:57 AM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

So what is the best option when in a situation like this?

Slime stuff?

I wonder if there is a smaller spare for a GT car.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:01 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a plug kit, tool kit, and a tire pump, DC and battery clamp capable so I can plug it on the side of the road. You can plug a one inch whole if needed and takes less time than you think. then you are able to get to a service station or a place to further plan a pick up.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:38 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
I have a plug kit, tool kit, and a tire pump, DC and battery clamp capable so I can plug it on the side of the road. You can plug a one inch whole if needed and takes less time than you think. then you are able to get to a service station or a place to further plan a pick up.
When you say pump -- do you mean different than the tire inflator that comes in the car?
Old 10-29-2018, 11:23 AM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

This is probably the best option. Plug the tire and drive without urgency. Then replace the tire when convenient (I know some people would not replace the tire, and some would. So depending on what you decide).
Old 10-29-2018, 12:49 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

I have this and also a jack in the frunk. Decided when doing drives through the mountains that I would at least like the option to take care of it myself if I could find/access the problem. (not a GT3 but this is a centerlock owner's main fear)
Old 02-24-2019, 02:15 PM
TTFLT6
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 56 Posts

Late add to this thread: I’ve had two flats in the last 2 1/2 months - a blowout and a fast leak. Both flats were the rear passenger tire while on the highway. After spending hours with PRA, I’m now questioning the daily drivability of this car. How common are flats on 911’s? I e owned other Porsche’s and M cars, haven’t had a flat in over 10 yrs. bad luck or is this my new reality with 12 inch wide low profile tires?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:32 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TTFLT6
Late add to this thread: I’ve had two flats in the last 2 1/2 months - a blowout and a fast leak. Both flats were the rear passenger tire while on the highway. After spending hours with PRA, I’m now questioning the daily drivability of this car. How common are flats on 911’s? I e owned other Porsche’s and M cars, haven’t had a flat in over 10 yrs. bad luck or is this my new reality with 12 inch wide low profile tires?
Bad luck. Last week I picked up a screw in the right rear (Blizzaks) of my dd. Screw stayed in and wasn’t leaking. Had it repaired. It happens...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flat tire/P Road Side Assistance