Sponsored by:

Flat tire/P Road Side Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 04:17 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I have this and also a jack in the frunk. Decided when doing drives through the mountains that I would at least like the option to take care of it myself if I could find/access the problem. (not a GT3 but this is a centerlock owner's main fear)
I have Fix a Flat, compressor, plug kit, Slime, Jack, Rennline inserts to jack up the car using the factory jack areas, all the tools, grease etc to change out a center lock. I'm 4 hours away from the closest Porsche dealer. Even it I was flatbedded to a tire shop, chances are they couldn't get the wheel off without the proper center lock tools. Also, if i'm on the side of the road, I could pull off the wheel and hopefully have someone take it to a tire shop. I know it's a long shot but it's still a option.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:48 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

All of the Roadside apps seem to suck pretty badly.

I had to use BMW's on my M3 once and it sent them the exact GPS info, but they kept asking me for cross-streets and so on. I eventually got pissed off and told them to use Google maps and just find the freaking place. Still, it was over 3 hours before a tow truck was even found. (I was not in the woods either, it was Devens, MA)

Mercedes is a little better, they have that button on the headliner. Still, they ask tons of questions about location, which leads me to believe that the GPS is not reliable.

All of them ruined entire days. (4-6hours)

Last edited by docjohnM; 02-25-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-2019, 02:01 AM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dave292
I have Fix a Flat, compressor, plug kit, Slime, Jack, Rennline inserts to jack up the car using the factory jack areas, all the tools, grease etc to change out a center lock. I'm 4 hours away from the closest Porsche dealer. Even it I was flatbedded to a tire shop, chances are they couldn't get the wheel off without the proper center lock tools. Also, if i'm on the side of the road, I could pull off the wheel and hopefully have someone take it to a tire shop. I know it's a long shot but it's still a option.
​​​​​​
Dave, do you mind detailing the make/model of the tools in your kit? Does it fit into the frunk as well?

Ivan
Old 02-27-2019, 10:34 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Yes, curious also. Does the factory on-board jack not go at the jack points? (!)
Old 02-27-2019, 12:59 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I carry a 1/2" to 3/4" socket adapter in my GT3 all the time, so in a pinch the center lock wheel can be taken off the car with convention 1/2" drive tools (socket + breaker bar + whatever). If I go on long drives and don't feel that secure, I would carry the Precision Instruments torque wrench and a lightweight racking jack. Even without carrying a jack, any tow truck would have a jack could jack up the car. BTW if the Front Axle Lift is in the up position, the car isn't that low to the ground and should be able to get onto most flat beds, I say should be I haven't had to experience that yet.

Quick Reply: Flat tire/P Road Side Assistance