Sponsored by:

Is PTS even worth it anymore????

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:04 AM
canicule
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
No regrets on my Oak Green. It's the only non-touring 6mt I've seen in this color. Bought at MSRP.... and about to see plenty of track time.

Hanging at Caffeine and Exotics today w my buds and his new-to-him 2016 GTS in PTS Voodoo Blue.

All is only about marketing and profit for Porsche with PTS or other "not PTS but kind of special" as Chalk and what they can ask customer to pay for !

What counts is the pleasure to look at your car every time you can and if your have something very nice to your eyes it will last for ever and you should not care about what it will be worth the day you will sell it.

If I would afford a PTS I would have choosen Oak Green (similar to my first car in the 90s, a Renault ).....will try a covering in the future to be close !
Old 10-29-2018, 09:28 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

PTS is quite common at Cars and Coffee events. The standard colors seem more rare. A guy has a Linen White 991 GT3 that to me looked like Carrara White at a glance. I asked him about it and he was insulted that I called it Carrara White. He went on about how it was PTS color, took him forever to get, cost a zillion dollars yada, yada, yada. I told him he lacked imagination and had too much money to spend that kind of money on a "white." Honestly, the optional $4k colors are as high as I would go on a custom paint. All the colors look good on the current GT cars. I just pick one that I don't have.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:41 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
People have completely failed to mention that the Porsche designers do pick the colors for the model and year. They have some pretty good insight on what looks really good. Most pts cars look much worse to the 99.9% of people (not rennlist users) that see your car compared to the normal colors and definitely don't care what you paid for it. So is it worth it? of course not, except to some non tangible value in the eye of the beholder

A dark green 911, a bright viper green 911, some flat grey color, or look at me please blue look worse to almost all bystanders compared to a guards red or black or yellow or GT silver normal colors....just ask anyone between the age of 10-20 that knows nothing about PTS or its price tag what color they like most...

pts is a rennlist ego thing more than anything (sorry, really mean no offense here but most people just do it to be "cool" now), if you parked two 2019 gt3 rs's on the side of the street, one red and one brewster green. No guy under the age of 30 is saying brewster green is his favorite. The poll would be 99-1 red-brewster. Keep the guards red and have some fun with it. I remember I went to an event maybe 10 years ago where the organizer was raving about how his 993 was some pts blah blah blah and my brother and I just looked at each other and telepathically said "wow, looks kinda dumb cool story tho rolling our eyes" it just came off douchey to us. No one that is not a die hard rennlister and porsche crazy cares about pts, so just remember most people's perspective on it, not just rennlist perspective. So to the 99.99% no, to the .001% that need to tell their buddies they have some special limited color, or some rich guy that needs every car he has in the same color like arena red or black or whatever sure...
Welikethetrack - Just to play devil's advocate, here, some of us find the standard colors boring. There, I said it. Who cares what other people think about the color I choose? If it works for me, that's all that matters. I am much more excited about getting my GT3T in exactly the color I wanted rather than in some boring color such as white. In LA, white, black and silver cars are a dime a dozen. Not saying the 911 does not look great in those colors - it does - but I, for one, wanted to be different from the masses. I am not interested in conformity. To hell with what everyone else thinks about my color.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:41 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

People have completely failed to mention that the Porsche designers do pick the colors for the model and year. They have some pretty good insight on what looks really good. Most pts cars look much worse to the 99.9% of people (not rennlist users) that see your car compared to the normal colors and definitely don't care what you paid for it. So is it worth it? of course not, except to some non tangible value in the eye of the beholder

A dark green 911, a bright viper green 911, some flat grey color, or look at me please blue look worse to almost all bystanders compared to a guards red or black or yellow or GT silver normal colors....just ask anyone between the age of 10-20 that knows nothing about PTS or its price tag what color they like most...

pts is a rennlist ego thing more than anything (sorry, really mean no offense here but most people just do it to be "cool" now), if you parked two 2019 gt3 rs's on the side of the street, one red and one brewster green. No guy under the age of 30 is saying brewster green is his favorite. The poll would be 99-1 red-brewster

Keep the guards red and have some fun with it. I remember I went to an event maybe 10 years ago where the organizer was raving about how his 993 was some pts blah blah blah and my brother and I just looked at each other and telepathically said "wow, looks kinda dumb cool story tho rolling our eyes" it just came off douchey to us. No one that is not a die hard rennlister and porsche crazy cares about pts, so just remember most people's perspective on it, not just rennlist perspective. So to the 99.99% no, to the .001% that need to tell their buddies they have some special limited color, or some rich guy that needs every car he has in the same color like arena red or black or whatever sure...
You wasted a lot of bandwidth on your bs post. If you show me some real statistics on what you wrote I will buy you a PTS car so you can burn it to the ground.

I deal with real statistics all day long and when someone starts quoting percentages and triple digit significance with out real data, that person is a "douche bag".
You should check your ego at the door.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:31 AM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 54 Posts

Keep the guards red and have some fun with it. I remember I went to an event maybe 10 years ago where the organizer was raving about how his 993 was some pts blah blah blah and my brother and I just looked at each other and telepathically said "wow, looks kinda dumb cool story tho rolling our eyes" it just came off douchey to us. No one that is not a die hard rennlister and porsche crazy cares about pts, so just remember most people's perspective on it, not just rennlist perspective. So to the 99.99% no, to the .001% that need to tell their buddies they have some special limited color, or some rich guy that needs every car he has in the same color like arena red or black or whatever sure...
Originally Posted by fastmd

You wasted a lot of bandwidth on your bs post. If you show me some real statistics on what you wrote I will buy you a PTS car so you can burn it to the ground.

I deal with real statistics all day long and when someone starts quoting percentages and triple digit significance with out real data, that person is a "douche bag".
You should check your ego at the door.
+100% - Plus we are missing .009% of the people in his study.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

pts is a rennlist ego thing more than anything (sorry, really mean no offense here but most people just do it to be "cool" now), if you parked two 2019 gt3 rs's on the side of the street, one red and one brewster green. No guy under the age of 30 is saying brewster green is his favorite. The poll would be 99-1 red-brewster

I actually agree with a lot of your observations about PTS and the normal colors. Only people with a whole bunch of cars, maybe Porsches, care about PTS. When my non P car friends see any shade of a Green 911, unless it is a vintage 60's/70's 911, they ask why would anyone get it in green. Most standard yellow, guards red 911's get the most thumbs up from non P car owners. I don't know the percentages.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:40 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Riz - Did you ever consider that perhaps the reason why more yellows and reds get thumbs up (according to you, anyway)? Is it really because they are more "thumbs up" worthy or is it because there are so many more of them on the road? Perhaps it is simply a numbers game and not the fact that red and yellow are more worthy of a thumbs up? Just a thought. I think all GT3s look awesome - I don't care what color it is. Okay, pink may be pushing it.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:43 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

All sports cars should be yellow. OK, maybe orange too.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:50 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

Oak green looks great.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:18 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 787 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
No regrets on my Oak Green. It's the only non-touring 6mt I've seen in this color. Bought at MSRP.... and about to see plenty of track time.

Hanging at Caffeine and Exotics today w my buds and his new-to-him 2016 GTS in PTS Voodoo Blue.

Awesome color..........even better in person.........nice meeting you at the show...........Turbo S Andy.....
Old 10-29-2018, 01:18 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

I think I'm going to go pelt my Cup on track with rocks and rubber - after reading this it seems like the only logical thing to do.

I'll take an RS, in white; or black.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:05 PM
John Belk
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Riz - Did you ever consider that perhaps the reason why more yellows and reds get thumbs up (according to you, anyway)? Is it really because they are more "thumbs up" worthy or is it because there are so many more of them on the road? Perhaps it is simply a numbers game and not the fact that red and yellow are more worthy of a thumbs up? Just a thought. I think all GT3s look awesome - I don't care what color it is. Okay, pink may be pushing it.

Nope....
Old 10-29-2018, 02:16 PM
sverduzco
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice...i'll take it...^^^^^
Old 10-29-2018, 02:19 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Okay - I stand corrected. What color "pink" is that? Or is that just a doctored picture of lava orange which was the release color for the 991.1 GT3 RS?
Old 10-29-2018, 02:21 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
‘I think LG is the steal and deal of the century. My last was UV, and I kinda go from crazy color to more classic which I may regret black(:
Yeah, that's why every other RS is LG and LG is the new white and Grey is the new LG. YMMV and so on...

Quick Reply: Is PTS even worth it anymore????