Sponsored by:

Is PTS even worth it anymore????

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 07:29 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
With the increase in price to do PTS and what seems to be an increase in supply of allocations that allow it; it's definitely not what it used to be.

I'd probably still do PTS Mexico blue because I like it but I definitely wouldn't expect to make huge profits off of it like you may have been able to with previous models.
This is what I’m thinking. It’s not a “value” as it used to be but if you really really want that special color then ...

I loved the Gelgrun with silver wheels last time but now their offering Lizard which is damn near identical to my eye. Nice color but now Lizards are running around all over. Kinda took the PTS wind out of my sails.

Love RS in GR ALOT but if I could get a PTS I would have to find a color that “wowed” me I guess.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:47 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

At $13K, for me, it’s not worth it. Truth be told, I don’t see a lot of PTS cars on the road or at DEs. My suspicion is that most who spec PTS don’t really drive their cars that much (I.e., more garage queens). I’m not saying they are purchased as investments, just that owners don’t seem to get them out a lot.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:50 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Two points here:

Olive green had been done before, on 991's and some SUVs.

I'm talking SUPER obscure. Like zermatt silver or salmon metallic or sepia. Colors that are just either gonzo weird, or previously thought to be terrible, or a waste since they were close to something else. Or nuts pricing like Urban Bamboo Chromaflair.

Oh and since we are on the Internet- nobody's
1/1 idea is copywritten forever. Give it 6-8 months.
I agree, but Olive was not popular, now there are a lot which I attribute to the Brasílian 911R and the turbo cab both which got a lot of internet exposure. *I will say that*there*are at least two salmon metallics (the GTS at Walters and the one in Europe)*and two sepia brown cars (an 08 turbo and the 991.2 GT3). *

On the other hand, there are a number of colors on approved PTS I have never found online, some I don’t even know what they are. *

I definitely agree with you about the ones that are close to standard colors. I*doubt anyone has ordered Grand Prix White or Carrara White (not metallic) as PTS and there are a number of silvers I have not seen as PTS (eg Zermatt).*

Maybe someone will do them. Gold metallic*and Phoenix yellow have recently come through on GT2RS.*

Last edited by evilfij; 11-26-2018 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:37 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

As long as you do not order this fugly color, you should be okay.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Post#7281

Fugly PTS

Originally Posted by Waxer
Always wanted a PTS GT3RS but do love my GR RS. With a new handful of PTS coming weighing pre-trading for PTS but on the fence.

Seems PTS cars have lost a lot of luster and value just like standard and optional color cars with time and new models.

Not sure if its worth all the bother when I also really like the color I have.

Thoughts and expected sarcasm appreciated.

👍

​​​​​​
Old 10-28-2018, 10:06 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

No regrets on my Oak Green. It's the only non-touring 6mt I've seen in this color. Bought at MSRP.... and about to see plenty of track time.

Hanging at Caffeine and Exotics today w my buds and his new-to-him 2016 GTS in PTS Voodoo Blue.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:18 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Only color I would consider for PTS is Liquid Metal Silver.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:21 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

blue is so much better than red...
Old 10-29-2018, 01:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by John Belk

Bought on pure irrational exuberance... I probably spent too much and don’t care what it be worth in the years to come... Too many of my friends, God rest their souls helped me understand that life is way too short to stress over such things.
My humble suggestion is, buy the car in the color you love and drive the car as much as you can...and lastly don’t look back.
Cheers,
JB
sage
Old 10-29-2018, 01:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

Oh and since we are on the Internet- nobody's
1/1 idea is copywritten forever. Give it 6-8 months.
oh ya...
have u seen united Benetton GTI from late 90's. I want each panel a different color
if you get me through PAG exclusive..
Old 10-29-2018, 02:10 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
oh ya...
have u seen united Benetton GTI from late 90's. I want each panel a different color
if you get me through PAG exclusive..
If you lived in UK we could do it
Old 10-29-2018, 02:18 AM
Derek RS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
It depends on if you can get your dream color for a car. $13k for paint seems ridiculous to me; but I paid $4k for LG so who am I to judge? PTS is just like the GT car craze; it’s a status thing.
13K is cheap compared to my Pista paint which cost me 43K

If you can afford it go with PTS
Old 10-29-2018, 02:51 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 612 Likes on 342 Posts

People have completely failed to mention that the Porsche designers do pick the colors for the model and year. They have some pretty good insight on what looks really good. Most pts cars look much worse to the 99.9% of people (not rennlist users) that see your car compared to the normal colors and definitely don't care what you paid for it. So is it worth it? of course not, except to some non tangible value in the eye of the beholder

A dark green 911, a bright viper green 911, some flat grey color, or look at me please blue look worse to almost all bystanders compared to a guards red or black or yellow or GT silver normal colors....just ask anyone between the age of 10-20 that knows nothing about PTS or its price tag what color they like most...

pts is a rennlist ego thing more than anything (sorry, really mean no offense here but most people just do it to be "cool" now), if you parked two 2019 gt3 rs's on the side of the street, one red and one brewster green. No guy under the age of 30 is saying brewster green is his favorite. The poll would be 99-1 red-brewster

Keep the guards red and have some fun with it. I remember I went to an event maybe 10 years ago where the organizer was raving about how his 993 was some pts blah blah blah and my brother and I just looked at each other and telepathically said "wow, looks kinda dumb cool story tho rolling our eyes" it just came off douchey to us. No one that is not a die hard rennlister and porsche crazy cares about pts, so just remember most people's perspective on it, not just rennlist perspective. So to the 99.99% no, to the .001% that need to tell their buddies they have some special limited color, or some rich guy that needs every car he has in the same color like arena red or black or whatever sure...
Old 10-29-2018, 03:30 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

PTS is the only way to #makegreengreatagain

I get laughed at by fiat people asking for any leads on green three pedal cars. (They basically don’t exist.) Used to be that way with Porsche people 10 plus years ago too. Green was a hard sell (still is honestly). But I am a Land Rover guy at heart and Land Rovers should be green so all cars should be green (hey, I did come of age in the 90s when there were lots of green cars). Of course, the three Land Rovers I have left are red, white, and blue.

And this whole Porsche has experts pick colors, I know that’s true, but it’s true of every other manufacturer and all that people end up buying is some variation of grey/silver or black. Even jag stopped making green cars! VW brought green back (not on the R or base cars, only the allroad) but it’s a dark blue green.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:36 AM
box986
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

PTS At US$21K here (roughly 8% of cars MSRP) in my local market is well worth it for me. To me It looks as “special” as friends Miami Blue GT2-RS with Weissach pkg and it will stay special when the next gen cars become available when 75% pick the launch color.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:32 AM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Fwiw I would have no problem at $12 k if truly was paint to sample.
In my mind, it is not PTS, but really an extended palette, as they wouldnt allow half the colors I asked about, all of which were old Porsche colors. Essentially I had to choose from their list of pre-approved colors. That being said I still did, as they had some nice choices, and I got something I preferred over standard options. I bet, as CJ mentioed earlier, more than 80 pcnt of PTS are one of 8-10 colors.

Also, $12k is a ‘relative bargain’ compared to Ford for new GT; where PTS range is $30-60k (most $30-40), but it is a true PTS. Will match your curtains if you like. Not sure how much Mclaren charges, but surely CJ would know. His purple P1 is insane.

Last edited by FLGT; 10-29-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Is PTS even worth it anymore????