Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might move to Canada. What do I do with my incoming Car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 08:37 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Might move to Canada. What do I do with my incoming Car?

I need wisdom of GT3 forum members.

My GT3 is coming in Dec of 2018 and unfortunately, I might have to relocate to Canada due to job issue.

Last thing I want to do is 1) Pay 8. sth NY Tax 2) Pay 12% Canadian Tax on my car. (which would be 40k in taxes for 180k car)

Here are things I have thought of

1) Do not title car, put it in storage and when I move to Canada, take the car with me or transport it or etc

2) Title the car under MT LLC and take the car across the border

3) Best scenario - Ask PCNA to ship the car to Canada dealer instead of US dealer. This would be the best but is this even possible? Probably a way to **** off the original dealership. Wouldn't mind paying the dealer their margin and etc.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:47 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Has it been built yet? Get rid of the allocation and save yourself a headache and buy one in canada
Old 10-25-2018, 08:57 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

It's a corporate move. Negotiate the costs with the company.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:02 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brammy

I’m Canadian , unfortunately Canadians are notoriously cheap , petty and jealous . Bringing upyour GT3 with your new employer and asking them to assist with costs will not be a good idea . Someone will get offended and jealous and try to ruin you. Sad but true
I'm Canadian as well. You've described them pretty well LOL.

Car is being built. I've waited just way too long for this stupid car and it's personalized with PTS and etc. Pretty much built to my liking. I don't mind paying some money to export it to Canada. But, I do mind paying tax twice.

It will be a headache and I would appreciate it if any of you guys have suggestions/similar experiences.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I’m Canadian , unfortunately Canadians are notoriously cheap , petty and jealous . Bringing upyour GT3 with your new employer and asking them to assist with costs will not be a good idea . Someone will get offended and jealous and try to ruin you. Sad but true
I said negotiate. Not disclose personal info to the company. If they want you there bad enough, $10-20,000 is not going to prohibit that. Most corporate moves include an X% of salary to cover these incidentals.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:43 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LexVan
I said negotiate. Not disclose personal info to the company. If they want you there bad enough, $10-20,000 is not going to prohibit that. Most corporate moves include an X% of salary to cover these incidentals.
Employer is cheap unfortunately.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:32 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
This convo is funny! Are many Canadians of Scottish decent? That may explain it!
Old 10-25-2018, 11:27 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

You’re first solution to not title the car in the US is probably the best- will be a logistics hassle, but cheaper than paying double tax. In my case I would just keep the car in my trailer in storage until the move, prepare all the paperwork needed to cross the border and register it when you cross into Canada.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:29 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 81 Posts

Well you better hope nobody who knows your boss reads this forum and is going to show him this comment. Haha
Old 10-25-2018, 11:41 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by montoya
You’re first solution to not title the car in the US is probably the best- will be a logistics hassle, but cheaper than paying double tax. In my case I would just keep the car in my trailer in storage until the move, prepare all the paperwork needed to cross the border and register it when you cross into Canada.

I heard some BS about US dealer MUST title/register a new car (used cars are fine apparent). Hopefully not true

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Well you better hope nobody who knows your boss reads this forum and is going to show him this comment. Haha
His friends' drive Tesla... his crowd won't be near GT forum.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:53 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I think you are screwed personally. If your dealer finds out you are exporting the car, they may not sell it to you. If you live in the same state as the dealer, they will make you register it (and pay taxes). Usually the only exception to this if it is being shipped out of state.

If you knew you were moving to Canada, you could try to have it shipped to Canada and do the import process without paying taxes, but like I said, the dealer probably would balk at that.

You could do the montana LLC (or find a friendly car dealer to buy and resell it for a fee).
Old 10-26-2018, 01:07 AM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a Canadian, I take offense to your sweeping generalization and huge leap in logic that someone would try to ruin him.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:15 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by evilfij
I think you are screwed personally. If your dealer finds out you are exporting the car, they may not sell it to you. If you live in the same state as the dealer, they will make you register it (and pay taxes). Usually the only exception to this if it is being shipped out of state.

If you knew you were moving to Canada, you could try to have it shipped to Canada and do the import process without paying taxes, but like I said, the dealer probably would balk at that.

You could do the montana LLC (or find a friendly car dealer to buy and resell it for a fee).
God dang it. You guys are scaring me. I'm telling my boss tomorrow I'm staying in the US. =[
Old 10-26-2018, 01:18 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

God dang it. You guys are scaring me. I'm telling my boss tomorrow I'm staying in the US. =[
Lol.

If you want to be really crazy about it, I suppose you could have it shipped to storage out of state and then make up your mind about where it ends up.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:49 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedman

As a Canadian, I take offense to your sweeping generalization and huge leap in logic that someone would try to ruin him.
As a Canadian as well, I would have to say Brammy is quite correct.

Quick Reply: Might move to Canada. What do I do with my incoming Car?