Sponsored by:

GA coming after MT plate owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 08:53 PM
finalspeed
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I don't run montana plates on ANY car nor have I ever, but for high dollar collector cars that don't really see the road almost ever, having to pay full freight on oneis sucky. If you drive it on the road and actually use it, then you should definitely pay up. Overall better off getting a dealer license and just doing what you need to do to qualify. Easy no, totally legal and something upstanding, yes.
I don't think a dealers license allows you to buy a new car, does it?
Old 10-25-2018, 09:09 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

morality police ...
how many of you work for a large corporation? how many of them run their international transactions through Ireland and for years have enjoyed preferred international tax treatment? you complain to their boards while reaping the benefits on shareholder ROI? How many of you have setup partial or full residency in FL or other states to minimize taxable obligations?
Huge difference in avoidance vs. fraud
This is about legality, not morality. Tax law is governed by the former.
as said above, don't hate the player, hate the game

P.S. I've not "martinized" my car hoard, CA plates on all of them. Smog checks, taxes, and all. And I feel like my a$$ is a little looser as a result of it.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

P.S. I've not "martinized" my car hoard, CA plates on all of them. Smog checks, taxes, and all. And I feel like my a$$ is a little looser as a result of it.
I c whut u did there.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:48 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Since there is a deep sense of morality here, what about those in the military? Lots of military folks in my area who run TX, MT, OR plates. From talking with my military friends, I understand it to be legal but the objective is to lower ‘expenses’.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:55 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Since there is a deep sense of morality here, what about those in the military? Lots of military folks in my area who run TX, MT, OR plates. From talking with my military friends, I understand it to be legal but the objective is to lower ‘expenses’.
Military, active duty is an exception and specifically written into the statutes.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:06 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by 0to60
Military, active duty is an exception and specifically written into the statutes.
So if you can legally reduce your taxes by choosing your state of residence, state to register vehicles, etc., then it’s ok. ?
Old 10-25-2018, 10:14 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
So if you can legally reduce your taxes by choosing your state of residence, state to register vehicles, etc., then it’s ok. ?
No judgment, but there are legal exemptions written into the law for active military members. Plenty of other legal exemptions for honorable discharged military members regarding property tax credits comes to mind. Soldiers, marines, airmen, and sailors sacrifice soo much for so little in compensation, the government throws them a "bone"
Old 10-25-2018, 10:24 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by 0to60
No judgment, but there are legal exemptions written into the law for active military members. Plenty of other legal exemptions for honorable discharged military members regarding property tax credits comes to mind. Soldiers, marines, airmen, and sailors sacrifice soo much for so little in compensation, the government throws them a "bone"
Understand. But some here seem to think that it’s morally wrong to avoid taxes - pay your fair share. And yet because it’s legal, some military members do just that.

I have no issue with it but also don’t have an issue with others making sound financial decisions that are within the constraints of the law.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:32 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

This form makes me feel so special.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:07 PM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

Don't most states require you to register the car where you reside if you bring or possess the car in your state of residence?
Old 10-25-2018, 11:10 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
This form makes me feel so special.
Lol. Lots of action in here. I like it.

For the record i want to be clear on something. If you do the "Montana thing" I don't think you're a horrible person nor would i or do I dislike you. I just personally think it's wrong. We can all afford the taxes. I have many close friends, I mean some real heavy hitters with serious collections that put me to shame financially. And they use a Montana LLC. And I love to bust their ***** about the Montana stuff. All good. We all make our own choices and have to live with them, good and bad taken into account. They are still my friends. I'm not ratting them out. I not mad at them. But I will speak my mind and do some ball busting.

Rant # 2 over.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:13 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Huge difference in avoidance vs. fraud
Bingo.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:15 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by horns
Don't most states require you to register the car where you reside if you bring or possess the car in your state of residence?
yes. but. the. car is owned by an. LLC, not an. individual. in CA, that is defined as both resident and non-resident vehicles.

I suspect, CA hasn't taken a hard line like this due to the burden of proof to determine if the car is resident in CA for more time than any other place.
That's their test:
A vehicle must be registered in California if it is based in California or is primarily used on California highways (located or operated in this state for a greater amount of time than any other individual state during the registration period), even if registered to a nonresident owner (CVC §4000.4).

So, sure police can pull you over. Hassle you. You state you have an entity in MT (you do) and how do they know or how can they prove the car hasn't been in NV? or WA, or MT??? For more time than in CA???

Now, in GA, they found a way. Toll Tags. SMART. WE don't have any toll ways here in CA.

Like I said, I like my fists gritty so I just pay the. bills. Like to fly low. Lots of buddies do it. Their decision, and yeah, it's fun to bust their ***** for being cheap bastards. :-)
Old 10-25-2018, 11:24 PM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

yes. but. the. car is owned by an. LLC, not an. individual. in CA, that is defined as both resident and non-resident vehicles.

I suspect, CA hasn't taken a hard line like this due to the burden of proof to determine if the car is resident in CA for more time than any other place.
That's their test:
A vehicle must be registered in California if it is based in California or is primarily used on California highways (located or operated in this state for a greater amount of time than any other individual state during the registration period), even if registered to a nonresident owner (CVC §4000.4).

So, sure police can pull you over. Hassle you. You state you have an entity in MT (you do) and how do they know or how can they prove the car hasn't been in NV? or WA, or MT??? For more time than in CA???

Now, in GA, they found a way. Toll Tags. SMART. WE don't have any toll ways here in CA.

Like I said, I like my fists gritty so I just pay the. bills. Like to fly low. Lots of buddies do it. Their decision, and yeah, it's fun to bust their ***** for being cheap bastards. :-)
I've seen the debate on this site a few times, but never paid much attention.

I'm surprised CA isn't doing everything they can and then some to get there hands on that lost revenue. Maybe the relative amount is too small for them to make it a priority. Probably easier to just raise income taxes.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:21 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

That's their test:

we have no tolls in GA, they figured no way this many people lived or had business in Montana and they all had 200k plus sports cars ......sticks out like a sore thumb. They had warrants for certain dealerships, and targeted certain car owners that purchased many cars of several years. I know several that had purchased over 15 cars in the last three years which is over 200k in no takes. I’m sure they did their homework.

Quick Reply: GA coming after MT plate owners