Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GA coming after MT plate owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 07:45 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

^ While I agree completely with AC SATCO on the legality and morality of this, I don't get the whole insurance issue with this scam. No insurance company I have ever used has had any way of knowing where my cars are registered; they do not require copies of registration or title. Nor should they care. The policy is based on my drivers license, the VIN, and where the car is garaged (which needs explanation if it is not the address on the license). And the insurance card does not have an address, so a LEO would not know it is insured in a different state from where it is registered.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:50 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Who really cares less if some one figured out a way not to pay taxes. Heck- any angle I can find legally I will until proven illegal. Many here own busineses that exercise their right every year how to avoid paying too much in taxes. I am surprised by so many upset with people with Montana registrations. Heck - quite a few people setting up trust funds in other States to avoid Trump raxes. That must be illegal too. But- as stated from another- I do not buy these people are causing you to pay too much in taxes!!

" Do not hate the Player but the game"
Old 10-25-2018, 07:51 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Curious how this works. It's difficult enough to find an insurer for the RS. Which insurance companies allow registration in the Dakotas but garage, live and be licensed in another State.
No LLC needed ?
The state lets you use your home address. My friends overland. They drive around North America, living in their off-road rig. Their legal address is like Kentucky or something. But their truck is registered and insured out of North Dakota because the state allows you to use an out-of-state address.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:52 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
^ While I agree completely with AC SATCO on the legality and morality of this, I don't get the whole insurance issue with this scam. No insurance company I have ever used has had any way of knowing where my cars are registered; they do not require copies of registration or title. Nor should they care. The policy is based on my drivers license, the VIN, and where the car is garaged (which needs explanation if it is not the address on the license). And the insurance card does not have an address, so a LEO would not know it is insured in a different state from where it is registered.
Stopped by Law Enforcement
You have Drivers License in State X
Insurance in State X
But
Registration in State Z
Don't have to be a detective to piece this together.
If an insurance claim arise, I would be very concerned about having the above scenario.
I have asked several insurance companies about registration being different than license/garage location.
Would love to hear which insurance companies will ensure declaring the above
Old 10-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Insurance in State X
But
Registration in State Z
If an insurance claim arise, I would be very concerned about having the above scenario.
I have asked several installer companies about registration being different than license/garage location.
I am assuming you have car nsurance that travels when you rent another car in amother State for a period of time.

Insurance travels
Old 10-25-2018, 08:00 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I am assuming you have car nsurance that travels when you rent another car in amother State for a period of time.
Yes
But
Most of not all States have a Statute by Law you must register in the State after 30 days.
My main concern would be should a claim arise, could the insurance company deny your claim. I'm with liberty mutual, great company. They will not write a policy where the driver license is in a different State as registration. Underwriters pull an insurance report similarity to a credit report, they know.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:06 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
The state lets you use your home address. My friends overland. They drive around North America, living in their off-road rig. Their legal address is like Kentucky or something. But their truck is registered and insured out of North Dakota because the state allows you to use an out-of-state address.
From the S Dakota DMV
The issue is "your State may prohibit registration in another State"
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2018, 08:07 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Insurance in State X
But
Registration in State Z
I have asked several insurance companies about registration being different than license/garage location.
Drivers license in State X and registration in State Z is all you need to raise a red flag.

Insurance ID cards do not show registration address.

As I said, there is no declaration of registration state when insuring a car. If the car is correctly insured where it is garaged and used in State X, why should there be any claim issues if it has State Z plates on it instead of State X plates? Insurance companies have no skin in this game.

Now if you are engaging in insurance fraud as well as tax fraud and have it insured in State Z but it is garaged and used in State X, that is a different story.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:08 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

I don't run montana plates on ANY car nor have I ever, but for high dollar collector cars that don't really see the road almost ever, having to pay full freight on oneis sucky. If you drive it on the road and actually use it, then you should definitely pay up. Overall better off getting a dealer license and just doing what you need to do to qualify. Easy no, totally legal and something upstanding, yes.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:23 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Yes
But
Most of not all States have a Statute by Law you must register in the State after 30 days.
My main concern would be should a claim arise, could the insurance company deny your claim. I'm with liberty mutual, great company. They will not write a policy where the driver license is in a different State as registration. Underwriters pull an insurance report similarity to a credit report, they know.
that’s partially true. If I use my car in NY for 35 days for whatever reason and send it back to GA for the rest of the year how do I register in two states? I have a GA license and places in two states? Can’t register in both and the 30 days applies to individuals that have a primary in that state. It’s legal I’ve done it for 7 years, and there is a legal paper trail. It’s no tax benefit unless I had a place in Montana I could take advantage of the law. The problem is the scammers they have no legal paper trail if the actually live in that state. Residency laws in most states is 6 months plus one day, and you pay the applicable tax where you spent the most time living.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:30 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Maverick787
that’s partially true. If I use my car in NY for 35 days for whatever reason and send it back to GA for the rest of the year how do I register in two states? I have a GA license and places in two states? Can’t register in both and the 30 days applies to individuals that have a primary in that state. It’s legal I’ve done it for 7 years, and there is a legal paper trail. It’s no tax benefit unless I had a place in Montana I could take advantage of the law.
With the State of Georgia executing search warrants, the investigation will reveal where your true residency is. Voting records are accessible to investigators just illustrating one piece of evidence. It's all good if your driver license, insurance, registration all match, along with other paper trails, income tax return address and voting records.
Seems GA is serious about this and will stop at nothing less than full compliance.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:35 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

With the State of Georgia executing search warrants, the investigation will reveal where your true residency is. Voting records are accessible to investigators just illustrating one piece of evidence. It's all good if your driver license, insurance, registration all match, along with other paper trails, income tax return address and voting records.
Seems GA is serious about this and will stop at nothing less than full compliance.
yes they are very serious. All my taxes are paid in GA I have no issues with the law. Point I was making you have many people that live in two states and it’s legit. You can’t pay taxes in two states nor carry two licenses.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:35 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I don't run montana plates on ANY car nor have I ever, but for high dollar collector cars that don't really see the road almost ever, having to pay full freight on oneis sucky. If you drive it on the road and actually use it, then you should definitely pay up. Overall better off getting a dealer license and just doing what you need to do to qualify. Easy no, totally legal and something upstanding, yes.
i believe if the car is a collectors and u don't drive why pay taxes and of course u don't register.
so it's like art work.
just sits in your collection.
dealer tag in Pennsylvania it's very tough not a easy task....trust me I looked into it.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Word around the campfire is they are hiring more revenue officers in Atlanta. As a defense lawyer, IMO it’s an indefensible position in a local city or county court, to have residency here more than 30 days and have your 300k elephant in the courtroom.

It it may be a winner on appeal after judgement based on interpretation of LLC in another state. At a minimum, you would have to show more than a LLC created in said tax free state. Maybe an office, mail address, bank account apt etc.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:50 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Yup and they are trolling C.C. events taking plate numbers. My buddy was tipped off last year.

Quick Reply: GA coming after MT plate owners