Sponsored by:

GA coming after MT plate owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 04:08 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Good! Finally! I hope they get everyone in any state that does this. Its fraud and tax evasion, and it costs me and everyone else more!!!

And don't come in here and debate that you're "legally" taking advantage of loopholes, you're not.............you are stealing, Opening a LLC in Montana FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING YOUR LOCAL STATE SALES TAX ON AN AUTOMOBILE IS FRAUD. If you live in Montana then all the power to you, good for you. If you have a company in Montana and choose to own and keep cars there good for you.

I have close friends here in NY that do it, and i tell them the same thing to their faces..............The truth, its wrong

Sorry if any of you who do this are bothered by my opinion, but i pay a ton in taxes, cause its the law, whether right or wrong.

I do think there should be some sort of collector exemptions so you don't get banged for 9% in taxes on 6-7 figure cars if you're in and out of several on a yearly basis, but until that's a law i will pay my taxes. I also think being taxed on a used car trading hands should be addressed, the car was taxed when initially bought. Again, till its changed, ill abide by the current laws.

Rant over
+1. Rant over.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:12 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

What you are doing, as I understand it, is not technically permitted. If you garage in New York, your Georgia insurance is not correct (potentially a claim of fraud) and once the vehicle is in New York for X days, you are required to register it, inspect it, etc. in New York. People do it all the time and no one seems to care, but the same could be said to be true for MT registration.
Not correct my cars are garaged in GA my main residence, and when I ship a car to NY to drive I use it here for the time I'm here ...when done I send back to GA. My license is GA, and NY has cleared no problem. It's called dual residency, and you can't carry two licenses hope I explained that better. The 30 days applies if one state is your only residence, and its designed for people to move to a state and they have 30 days to take care of their affairs.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:36 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
You can always get a dealer/broker license and not pay sales tax and drive the car around.
Mr. Unscrupulous has arrived!
Old 10-25-2018, 04:53 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

NY State.
The Empire State will do whatever it can to take as much money out of your Empire as they can.

They have deterred this MT Registration behavior through the insertion of penalties, above and beyond the tax burden,....when it is all said and done, it will cost more in the end, once the Empire State Department of Tax and Finance gets involved......they have a great way of nipping this type of subterfuge in the bud. I won't even mention attorney fees should you decide to go toe to toe with the T&F Department...........
Old 10-25-2018, 05:14 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

Just imagine if other states promise MT a finders fee (not sales tax per se) for a list of LLC with registered cars above a certain value. Or states can subpoena MT for it (I'm not a lawyer, not sure if the existence of LLC on itself is protected).

Right now, the system is still clunky enough that most LLCs still go relatively undetected without MT cooperation. Simple search of electronic toll (GA) versus license plate state (MT) and they found 500 cars. Minimum effort.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:47 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Mr. Unscrupulous has arrived!
Yup, I have arrived.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:48 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 81 Posts

Yup, I have arrived.
lol
Old 10-25-2018, 05:54 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Yup, I have arrived.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:10 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Good! Finally! I hope they get everyone in any state that does this. Its fraud and tax evasion, and it costs me and everyone else more!!!

And don't come in here and debate that you're "legally" taking advantage of loopholes, you're not.............you are stealing, Opening a LLC in Montana FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING YOUR LOCAL STATE SALES TAX ON AN AUTOMOBILE IS FRAUD. If you live in Montana then all the power to you, good for you. If you have a company in Montana and choose to own and keep cars there good for you.

I have close friends here in NY that do it, and i tell them the same thing to their faces..............The truth, its wrong

Sorry if any of you who do this are bothered by my opinion, but i pay a ton in taxes, cause its the law, whether right or wrong.

I do think there should be some sort of collector exemptions so you don't get banged for 9% in taxes on 6-7 figure cars if you're in and out of several on a yearly basis, but until that's a law i will pay my taxes. I also think being taxed on a used car trading hands should be addressed, the car was taxed when initially bought. Again, till its changed, ill abide by the current laws.

Rant over
Definitely a hotly debated topic.....and I agree!
Old 10-25-2018, 06:47 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Rant over
I couldn't have said it better myself. I pay an outrageous amount of taxes as well.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:54 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by rsierra
I couldn't have said it better myself. I pay an outrageous amount of taxes as well.
Yea in MA we have an excise tax, 2.5% of the vehicles value determined by an MSRP equation.....it adds up....
Old 10-25-2018, 07:13 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

One of the Dakotas allows you to register cars if you live out of state and you can use your home address so insurance isn't an issue.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:13 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Adding any cents at all here is like trying to blow out a fire with your breath.. but, how is this different then creating trusts and copriate loopholes for all kinds of tax minimization. If it's legal, it's legal. If it's illegal, then... argh.. I'm not arguing the morality, I'm arguing that this is no different than working with any area of the tax code. Make it illegal, and I'll argue against anyone breaking the law. As it stands today, this is not explicitly illegal. Don't hate the player, hate the game
Old 10-25-2018, 07:30 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

^ I can't speak for all states, but if you are a resident of California it is explicitly illegal to evade taxes in this way.

Edit: See link in post #3 of this thread.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:33 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
One of the Dakotas allows you to register cars if you live out of state and you can use your home address so insurance isn't an issue.
Curious how this works. It's difficult enough to find an insurer for the RS. Which insurance companies allow registration in the Dakotas but garage, live and be licensed in another State.
No LLC needed ?

Quick Reply: GA coming after MT plate owners