Sponsored by:

GA coming after MT plate owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 12:08 AM
poison123
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
What is one purchased a car, registered it in Montana for a while - lets say a few months - and then transferred it to GA and registered it there (or whatever). Would additional taxes still be due or just nominal registration fees?
You'd owe tax on what Georgia values it at. So my 2014 GT3 was 6-7k.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:54 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Not here in the Republik. You’d pay sales tax when you tried to register here if the car has less than 7500 miles on it.
Georgia too. You pay title tax every time you change the title. I bought out our Cayenne lease 6 months into it because PFS are a bunch of idiots who never cashed my payment checks and charged me late fees for their incompetence, and I had to pay the title tax all over again.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:18 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G.Irish
Uh no this is not at all the problem with free healthcare for all. For starters, going to the hospital is not super-happy-fun-time that people would do recreationally if it were free. There are always gonna be people who abuse any system, but by and large people just want to be healthy (or to get high but that's another story).

Secondly free healthcare doesn't mean you can just order whatever test or procedure you want off the menu like you're at an amusement park. A doctor would deem whether or not something is medically justified and would bill to the program much the same as it is now. Hospitals and private practices could abuse billing to enrich themselves and some do that now, that's not exclusively a problem with universal healthcare.

Right now people without health insurance can go to the ER any time they want, doesn't mean they'll get admitted, not to mention the average ER is a miserable experience. If you've got a serious ailment or injury you're not having a good time, and if you don't, you're going to be waiting a long time. More healthcare access means less people will end up in the ER in the first place because they can afford to get stuff treated before it becomes an emergency.

Whatever healthcare policy a country chooses to go with comes with a lot of tradeoffs which are way too complex to get into here. A fully private system has tradeoffs as does a publicly funded system. But the problem of people ordering too many tests or goofing around in the ER are not issues that even get on the radar when you're talking about the major challenges with health insurance policy.
With all due respect Sir, You do realize there is NO SUCH THING AS FREE HEALTHCARE. Someone has to pay for it.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:32 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkey D. Luffy
With all due respect Sir, You do realize there is NO SUCH THING AS FREE HEALTHCARE. Someone has to pay for it.
Healthcare supplied to uninsured patients without the means to pay IS free healthcare for the patients. Doctors, hospitals, and state and federal governments (ie. the taxpayers) are the ones paying for it.

Over the course of my career, I have supplied so much free labor to uninsured patients (without any ability to declare it as a tax deduction), that I feel almost entitled to save on the sales tax of my TTS purchase. Is there any other occupation that mandates you provide free labor?

BTW, I'm thankful FL doesn't have this Title Ad Volarem Tax like GA.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:34 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Healthcare supplied to uninsured patients without the means to pay IS free healthcare for the patients. Doctors, hospitals, and state and federal governments (ie. the taxpayers) are the ones paying for it.

Over the course of my career, I have supplied so much free labor to uninsured patients (without any ability to declare it as a tax deduction), that I feel almost entitled to save on the sales tax of my TTS purchase. Is there any other occupation that mandates you provide free labor?

BTW, I'm thankful FL doesn't have this Title Ad Volarem Tax like GA.
Free labor and parts, school teacher. Wife says after school almost everyday preparing lesson plans/grading students. She also buys the supplies on our dime. All this for a whopping 40K yearly.
If I were you, I would be very grateful to the teachers that shaped you into what you are today.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:02 PM
poison123
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Free labor and parts, school teacher. Wife says after school almost everyday preparing lesson plans/grading students. She also buys the supplies on our dime. All this for a whopping 40K yearly.
If I were you, I would be very grateful to the teachers that shaped you into what you are today.
Where do you think that tax goes go? Hint it sure as **** ain't the school system.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:27 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by poison123
Where do you think that tax goes go? Hint it sure as **** ain't the school system.
Sadly most of these taxes go into a general fund. Politicians on both sides are thieves.
Also thought and still do, it's better to build schools instead of prisons
Old 11-04-2018, 11:48 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

Shocking! So if I already owned the car in a different state and it had more than 7500 miles I'd still have to pay tax again GA??? Luckily not planning to move to GA. What a ripoff.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:49 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
Shocking! So if I already owned the car in a different state and it had more than 7500 miles I'd still have to pay tax again GA??? Luckily not planning to move to GA. What a ripoff.
yes. but we used to have an annual ad-velorum that the title tax replaced. Was about 700 per year to renew an expensive car, and 300 or so for an average one. Now its 20.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
yes. but we used to have an annual ad-velorum that the title tax replaced. Was about 700 per year to renew an expensive car, and 300 or so for an average one. Now its 20.
my M5 was 1400.00 per year to register .......I was spending close to 5k for 5 cars. Now I spend 100.00for 4 ....
Old 11-06-2018, 12:22 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

Another video, interesting practical perspective:
Old 11-06-2018, 12:39 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787

NY has a residency law 6 months plus one day. You can have a primary home in FL, and you must be there 6 months plus one day. You file taxes in both states, and they will audit you ..........they will ask for phone, credit card statement and you must prove it. People that stay in FL keep records, and know how many days to be gone. Most states have this law, but NY enforces it because of all the tax cheats.
I can see this changing to where you pay taxes on the % of time you spend in a state, and not all or nothing based on which state you live in the longest.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:46 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Another video, interesting practical perspective:
Very good video....really can't argue with any of those opinions....

Quick Reply: GA coming after MT plate owners