Sponsored by:

GA coming after MT plate owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 01:56 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by poison123
Man.....there are going to be a lot of unhappy folks here in Atlanta. I've been seeing more and more MT tags on exotics lately.
TOTALLY Agree...if authorities go to Caffeine and Exotics or Caffeine and Octane, where they probably have been..........there are dozens of Montana plate cars....................I have Georgia plates only. on my cars......
Old 10-25-2018, 01:59 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
I hope someone fights. The guy in Louisanna fought and won. It is by no means clear to me what the answer is. What do people who snowbird do? How is that any different? As far as I can tell, you can’t register a vehicle in two states at once (I tried).
If you are a Montana snowbird that means you live in MT, at least part of the year. So should be good, right?
Now if you own a ski hut in MT and never stay there, we'll that's another story.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:05 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

You can always get a dealer/broker license and not pay sales tax and drive the car around.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:11 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I was born and raised in Georgia but lived in NC from 2011-2016. And while I appreciate the TAVT process used in Georgia, it really sucked moving back home and eating a $10k tax bill on all our vehicles. It also sucks that any title change results in TAVT being charged. I paid the taxes, because ultimately I felt it was right for me to do so.

As for the rest of us paying more.... I disagree. The state gets less, for sure. But it's not like we would get a greater return or less tax burden if these people paid. I wish.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:22 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
If you are a Montana snowbird that means you live in MT, at least part of the year. So should be good, right?
Now if you own a ski hut in MT and never stay there, we'll that's another story.
I don’t see how that would be true if you must register within 30 days of being in Georgia. Let’s say you snowbird between your home in state cold X and Savanah. It’s November and too cold so you go to Georgia with your state cold X plates, would it not be your obligation to register within 30 days so by Christmas you must have the car with Georgia plates? But then you have to surrender your cold state X registration, right?

And there are innumerable commercial and even personal vehicles that operate in multiple states. Usually there is some exception to use tax, but some states there is not and some states you must register within X days. Keep in mind “you” may or may not include an LLC (separate legal entity).

This is relevant to me because I have two houses in two neighboring states where I spend time in both and I am trying to figure out the right way to do it and no one can tell me. I want to register in both (pay tax in state one, use as credit in state two) but no one seems to think this is possible. Now I have cars registered and insured where they are primarily garaged, but as I don’t park at the state lines and walk over and switch cars, I have to drive between the states in a car registered in one or the other.

If I could legally put my cars in an LLC and have it not be an issue it would make my life so much easier.

Personally, I think vehicles are all interstate commerce and the feds should just regulate it. The state systems are stupid.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:23 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

For me, I deal with too much stress at work to be bothered to do this and have the tax man/insurance, etc etc come knockin'

I just saw a 10 year old RR Discovery in the mall w/ MT plates....once everyone is doin' it, then the gig is up IMHO
Old 10-25-2018, 02:50 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone want to buy a tiny house in MT? I'm putting together a small community for those looking for a turn key Montana experience. $10m in assets required to join.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:58 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Local P car dealership here will not under any circumstances facilitate MT registration. While taxation is theft, cheating is cheating too. Maybe someone with MT LLC can explain to me how the insurance is handled. With a MT registration, one is taking a huge gamble on insuring in MT. Do the insurance companies allow MT registration with insurance and garaging in an entirely different State ?

Depends on your work status. I have registration and insurance in different locals. No problemo and they know fully well.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:58 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

IMO good. Never understood why people would do the MT LLC route to avoid paying taxes on their high end sports cars, when you have people at the same time struggling to make ends meet that pay the same tax on their Camry or Corolla etc. I paid $9k for yellow calipers, you have some people paying $18k for their car to weigh 40 lbs less with some visual differences, and yet some want to dodge paying sales tax. I figured since I live in CA and enjoy the beautiful roads and amenities likely funded (at least partially) by that tax revenue (at least here in Southern California), I will pay the tax like everyone else...
Old 10-25-2018, 03:04 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
I hope someone fights. The guy in Louisanna fought and won. It is by no means clear to me what the answer is. What do people who snowbird do? How is that any different? As far as I can tell, you can’t register a vehicle in two states at once (I tried).
Actually easy, I live in two states NY and GA and all my cars are registered in GA and I can drive in NY with GA plates because my homestead is GA. I've not had a problem in 7 years, and I pay GA taxes. If drivers have MT business, and the car never hits a MT road they will have a problem. GA department of revenue has raided several homes, and pulled records from some non Porsche dealers .......this started last year the GDR have been tracking drivers at CC building a case. I know a few of the people, and they're very nervous. Some have to cut 6 figure checks from all the non-taxes paid.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:28 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

I watched the vinwiki video and it seems one of the individuals is down for 1.3M. I don't know if it's only taxes or some fee added, but if taxes alone it would mean a total sales of about 18M. Must be some nice car(s).
Now, I really like vinwiki stories, but what Ed said on this last one doesn't really build empathy for those owners, IMHO.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:51 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Actually easy, I live in two states NY and GA and all my cars are registered in GA and I can drive in NY with GA plates because my homestead is GA. I've not had a problem in 7 years, and I pay GA taxes. If drivers have MT business, and the car never hits a MT road they will have a problem. GA department of revenue has raided several homes, and pulled records from some non Porsche dealers .......this started last year the GDR have been tracking drivers at CC building a case. I know a few of the people, and they're very nervous. Some have to cut 6 figure checks from all the non-taxes paid.
What you are doing, as I understand it, is not technically permitted. If you garage in New York, your Georgia insurance is not correct (potentially a claim of fraud) and once the vehicle is in New York for X days, you are required to register it, inspect it, etc. in New York. People do it all the time and no one seems to care, but the same could be said to be true for MT registration.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:52 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Mclane
I watched the vinwiki video and it seems one of the individuals is down for 1.3M. I don't know if it's only taxes or some fee added, but if taxes alone it would mean a total sales of about 18M. Must be some nice car(s).
Now, I really like vinwiki stories, but what Ed said on this last one doesn't really build empathy for those owners, IMHO.
He should have doubled down and made clear what they were doing was legal and that the statute is written in a way to not cover the MT LLC.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I imagine every state will do this eventually.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:07 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
What if you are buying car and exporting to different country right away? Then you are getting taxed twice. Stupid tax law.
Cost of business. Pay the tax and make your vig. If not enough of a vig don’t do the deal.

Quick Reply: GA coming after MT plate owners