Sponsored by:

Advice please regarding work at Official Porsche Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 11:19 AM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice please regarding work at Official Porsche Dealer

My friend bought a GT3 new from Porsche Centre A ( OPC A ) in January 2015. After two years 2017 and on schedule he had OPC A carry out the Oil Service and also had the optional two year brake fluid change carried out. . This OPC is 3 hours from where we live. This week he took it to Porsche Centre B ( OPC B) which is five hours away as he was unhappy with OPC A from other matters for its scheduled Four Year Service. No other person or dealer went near the car at any time.

This Tuesday OPC B informed him
- the rear center lock wheels were not fully secured
- a brake nipple on one of the rear calipers was sheared and pushed back in place ( exact quote from their report) they are adamant that their technician did not shear the nipple.
- the car had 4000 miles at the 2015 Service and 8000 miles now. It’s driven regularly.

The car car is out of warranty and OPC B will only fit a new Porsche Caliper costing $900 plus tax plus labor. My friend has said yes go ahead and fit a new caliper.

Where does he stand regarding getting financial help from Porsche towards the repair? OPC A has washed their hands in the matter as has OPC B. Both say it is not their fault.

They say say they have never found a centre lock wheel not properly secured before, the car is on the tyres/wheels fitted at build in 2015 in Porsche Germany so have never been removed until last Monday.

Both say they did not shear the nipple. OPC A said they did not remove the wheels two years ago and replace the brake fluid without removing the wheels. They said they did not shear the nipple and push it back in.

There is a further bit of information, prior to my friend buying the car, OPC X to whom the car was first delivered, replaced the Engine under the GT3 Stop Sale/ Engine replacement. I suppose they would need to remove the rear wheels to replace the engine ?

We are in Europe not the USA.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:48 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

If the engine was out they had to remove the rear wheels.
A sheared bleeder screw can be removed,especially on a car that doesn't see much rust,unfortunately they won't do it because of extra work and liability. A rear caliper,standard brakes is 400 euros,their cost,the job should pay .7...1 hr max. That's 600 euros,the rest is Porsche tax,dealer coffee bar and cookies. Unless the car has ceramics...

https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.co...bC1oNi1nYXM%3D

It's obvious they broke the bleeder trying to bleed the brakes. They've also left the CLs loose,the problem is going to be trying to prove it.

P.S. Just an FYI,you can bleed the brakes on a lift without removing the wheels...
Old 10-25-2018, 12:55 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for that. Re the link, it says not GT3. His are steel brakes .

My point is that ONE of the Centres broke the nipple or even during the build. I feel Porsche themselves should be man enough to put their hands up and say our fault or that they will cover the repair without admitting liability. Nobody else had reason to go at the car.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by major dad
Thanks for that. Re the link, it says not GT3. His are steel brakes .

My point is that ONE of the Centres broke the nipple or even during the build. I feel Porsche themselves should be man enough to put their hands up and say our fault or that they will cover the repair without admitting liability. Nobody else had reason to go at the car.
Scroll down the page of that link : it says " This part also fits ". Look at the 2015 911...it has GT3 and GT3 RS there...

They should definitely take responsibility! Unfortunately,because some time has passed before the issue has been discovered,nobody wants to admit they're at fault. I am pretty sure that bleeder broke when bleeding the brakes. I don't see how else it would break...they are aluminum and very soft : if you are stupid enough to use an open end wrench or a socket at a weird angle,you will snap it off. I assume that the threads stayed in there,otherwise it would've been leaking and they would've had to do something about it. Still,totally irresponsible to leave the bleeder like that! Not to mention the CLs that were not engaged!
Perhaps your friend can call Porsche AG Europe and see if they are willing to help...
Old 10-25-2018, 02:30 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 512 Posts

If you have the fractured part and look at the surface a fractured surface with some time and miles on it will look quite a bit different from a fresh fracture surface.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:38 PM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Part Changers

You don't get much for $200/Hrs...Part changers.

I had a upgraded Steering Wheel Installed at my dealer..... 15 degrees of center

Find new dealer....Know your tech!!

Do your own work when you can!
Old 10-25-2018, 02:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GT3_Driver
You don't get much for $200/Hrs...Part changers.

I had a upgraded Steering Wheel Installed at my dealer..... 15 degrees of center

Find new dealer....Know your tech!!

Do your own work when you can!
All good advice.

Although 200/hr $ is double of what an Indy would charge. Unfortunately that 200/hr $ doesn't even come close to what the tech will get. That pays for electricity,coffee/cookie/fruit bar etc. The tech is still paid 25-30$ an hr flat rate : which means there's book time for every job. If the tech does it faster than book time he'll bill more hours. I bet that bleed screw can be drilled out and replaced. Unfortunately there's no " book time " for that type of job...plus they usually don't want the liability.
If the tech got all the 200$ an hr he would take care very well of his customers,trust me!

Quick Reply: Advice please regarding work at Official Porsche Dealer